My school has just crossed the line from 'Idiotic Logic' to 'Batshit Insanity'

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Because removing human contact is always a good idea!
What the fuck are they thinking?

pilf

Apr 23, 2008
my secondary school/sixth form put up tall wire fences around the building, tht coupled with the security cameras real made it feel like a prison, not to mention the morning uniform inspection the lower school kids would have to face everyday, if a singl thing was deemed unfit for a learning environment (whatever the heck that meant as most of the teachers I asked gave very different interpretations of the rules). I was luckily exempt from most of this madness as I was a sixth form student but they still tried to regulate our freedom almost to the excess.

The most idiotic thing I remember was the sgn in system for the sixth form only computer room (which was regularly stolen from stolen from us for meetings, despite there being a perfectly decent purpose built meeting room down the corridor and through the library). All we had to do was tick a box to show we were using the room when we were supposed to, as part of our extended study time. Obviously this system was far to easily abused, I don't know why they didn't just intergrate the swipe card system they had for registering in and out of the building.

According to my sister who is now endering the joys of A-level education at the establishment the system has been scrapped, now that the idiot head has left.

I'm so glad I'm at Uni now, everything is so much easier.

EDIT: We also had our fair share of emotional/mental breakdowns from staff, as well as a phasing ot of certain eements of tech work because it's deemed to unsafe. (I did some of my best work/ had the most fun in tech classes such as 'systems' and 'woodwork' soldering irons, circuit boards, chisels, lathes I loved that stuff). I'm starting to wonder whether becoming a teacher is really a logical move.

moretwocents

Jan 20, 2011
Get everyone in the school together on a school day, just before class starts.
Have a huge hug-off until teachers come to stop it, and when they do, KEEP HUGGING.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
JaceArveduin said:
SadakoMoose said:
local politics are seldom covered, often corrupt, and based mostly on familial relations and business partners than on serving the public.
You forgot to add that in many small areas the drug dealers n such tend to be in power. (the term drug dealer is being stretched due to lack of a better word here)
We're not talking about Mexico, right?

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
SadakoMoose said:
JaceArveduin said:
SadakoMoose said:
local politics are seldom covered, often corrupt, and based mostly on familial relations and business partners than on serving the public.
You forgot to add that in many small areas the drug dealers n such tend to be in power. (the term drug dealer is being stretched due to lack of a better word here)
We're not talking about Mexico, right?
Nope, I'm thinking the states just above the border though.

crop52

Mar 16, 2011
No hugs?! That's absolutely ludicrous! Hugs aren't even sexual in any way!

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
I've never had this happen. in my high school half the football team would regularly dry hump/grope/kiss, whatever. heck, on halloween a lot of the guys wore more revealing clothing than the women. if that rule was in my high school it wouldn't be five minutes before all but a few of the guys were suspended.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
TerribleAssassin said:
Atmos Duality said:
I recall my own High School undergoing Prison-Transformation:

1) Replaced all of the reinforced glass doors at the top and bottom of the stairwells with these blue "fire doors" (which turned out to be the same model of Riot Doors as used in a regional federal prison; only with the Kevlar lining removed). Not only was it unnecessary, but also far more dangerous as you couldn't see if someone was going to open one of those doors at the top.
2) Hired a new "dean" (vice-principle) specifically for disciplinary actions; DESPITE ALREADY HAVING TWO WHO DID THAT.
3) New "dean" subsequently appointed a set of "wardens" to patrol the hallways and lunchroom
4) Outlawed all manner of clothing, and made the requirement for "shorts" to go at least 3 inches PAST YOUR KNEES.
5) Banned all manner of PDAs and touching up to and including HIGH FIVES. But handshakes were ok apparently...
6) Enacted an ordinance that required at least one police officer to be on the school premises at all times during regular session.

All this for a High School whose average class size...WAS TWO HUNDRED AND TEN.
Holy shit were they terrified of lawsuits. I couldn't even play my GBA during lunch breaks because it was "interfering with class". No joke.
You win the authoritarian cake. Can only be eaten between 5-7 pm with a desert ladle.

But that does seem pretty harsh, and my school really couldn't give a fuck about student contact, yesterday, I had a friend (lady) grab my leg in the middle of a corridor and wouldn't let me outside until I said the 'password.'
I know you meant "dessert," but I think desert actually fits it better.

OT: This is bullshit. You should sue like everyone else says. If that doesn't work, passive resistance and outright ignoring the rule should work. If this happened at my school I'd probably end up punching someone... if I wasn't a white male, I could probably even get out of any punishment by claiming they were antagonizing me.

Maybe if I were handicapped...

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
TrilbyWill said:
we arent allowed to hug any more.
or, more specifically, guys arent allowed to hug people. because theyre insane.
and no, i am not making this up. one of my friends got a warning for hugging another guy.
Oooo the "Impossible to enforce rule..."

Alright then simply ignore it ad continue to hug each other.. And if you want to really piss them off (make them drop the rule) then make a big circle and all hug each oter at once... THey cannot give half the school a detention.

We had similar rules at my school... All blatently ignored.

Now the other question is; is there a rule against guys hugging girls?

If not then call sexual discrimination. They will back down :)

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
How exactly do they expect to teach people anything? Universities can get away with it because they're teaching adults, but there's no way you can expect 15 year old kids to independently prepare themselves for their tests.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Ghengis John said:
Atmos Duality said:
Is your school from the 1930's?
Hah, in the 1930's they woulda been giving them rocks for use as gym equipment and the place wouldn't even have a fence.
Color me confused, but I didn't say that.

Kargathia said:
Atmos Duality said:
How exactly do they expect to teach people anything? Universities can get away with it because they're teaching adults, but there's no way you can expect 15 year old kids to independently prepare themselves for their tests.
Uh, by "class size" I don't mean "average classroom size", but all the people in that grade.

myah

Aug 24, 2010
Woah! WTF?
I thought my school's rules were retarded but this, this is just offensive.
Yous should put up "free hugs here" posters all over the school to piss the principal off so he'll remove the rule.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
Vamantha said:
Didn't we have topic like this a little while ago "Called has your school ever pulled a dick move"?

Umm, all my schools have pulled dicks moves. The hugging rule was added into my school but everyone thought it was stupid and rarely did anyone get in trouble for it.
I do miss that thread....

Dracowrath

Jul 7, 2011
Um, a middle school teacher I had gave me a detention for joking about a new policy being like prison. And an administrator once gave me a detention for making that little gun sign with my hand.

Also, some may find this stupid but I thought it was a good idea. In my high school, there was one bathroom in particular kids used to smoke in between classes and such. Because of this that hallway almost always smelled of cigarette smoke. Eventually they removed the doors from that bathroom, in order to make it nigh impossible for someone to hide in there and smoke. Sure enough, some idiots came up to me the next day with a petition to get the doors back on, for "privacy" reasons. I saw right through it and didn't sign it, the doors never went back up.

spielberg11

Aug 30, 2010
Yeah, we have a hands-off policy at my school where no-one is allowed within six inches of another student. Catholic schools, they irritate.

No-one pays any attention to this rule except for maybe one or two crabby old teachers who were probably present when Moses revealed the 10 Commandments, but it's still a stupid rule nonetheless.

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
Atmos Duality said:
snipped

Holy shit were they terrified of lawsuits. I couldn't even play my GBA during lunch breaks because it was "interfering with class". No joke.
Is that meant to be small? Because that's about the number of pupils in my entire school.

OT: I don't see the issue. Tell me how many teenage boys are willing to be seen hugging another. It's silly sure, but hardly end world.
My school has roughly one and a half thousand, so I would say two hundred and ten is quite small.

OT: That is bullshit. I hate how schools these days want to police everything people do, it's retarded! Luckily it's not like that here in Australia, but still.