Mysterious Michigan Death Eerily Similar to Persona 4

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interestingly, Persona 4 seemed to he heavily channeling an earlier Anime series called "Seriel Experiments Lain" in that part of the storyline, even if the entire justification for whate was happening and why was differant.

Just to be on the safe side, don't start getting too curious if you start receiving E-mails or text messages from someone you know committed suicide.

That said, it will be interesting to see if we ever get a clear and believable answer to this case, since I can't think of any reason why he would be up there and dead IRL. It makes me wonder if we're looking at the birth of a new "unsolved mystery".

I've always been morbidly fascinated by some of the wierd stuff that happens. I'm not a huge fan of conspiricy theories, nor do I jump at every shadow, but at the same time every once in a while you see something like this and then remember that ghosts/hauntings exist at least in a legal sense through large parts of the world, including the US. In most places in the US for example it's required that a realtor or property seller tell you if a structure or piece of land has a "history", either of unexplained/supernatural phenomena, or simply of murder and violence due to various incidents through the years. Technically if they ever sell the land where this station is right now they would have to divulge that there was a guy found dead like this on the land, even if they can never explain what happened.

Then of course you've got the entire "white effect" thing, which is where people suddenly disappear. Entire towns and such have vanished going back to things like Roanoak, with it looking like people just stepped away for a second or disappeared in the middle of what they were doing. The overall "effect" is also tied into other mysterious disapperances on an individual level, where someone with no motive or abillity to vanish, and no real enemies, just suddenly drops off the face of the earth and becomes a general "missing person".

... I am however getting wildly off topic. It's hard not to make "light" of something like this because it's so messed up/creepy as to be cool. Makes me wonder if people will still be wondering about this one in 20 years. I guess it capturing the imagination is not fair to the family, and I am sorry for that, but I can't help it and I guess a lot of other people won't be able to either.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
John Funk said:

A bizarre death in Michigan could have come straight out of Atlus' Persona 4.

We here at The Escapist would never make fun of the death of another human being, but this is too eerie to ignore. If you never played Atlus' PS2 swan song Persona 4 (and shame on you if that's the case), the events of the game were set in motion by a series of deaths in the small Japanese town of Inaba. Mysterious dead bodies were found hanging upside-down on TV antennas, with the police unable to determine cause of death.

Creepy, right? What's creepier is that something like it actually happened in Oak Park, Michigan [http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/oakland_county/Copy_of_MIBroadcast-Tower-Body_33547327]. The body of a man clad only in T-shirt and underwear was found by repair workers at the top of a 1,000-foot-high TV broadcast tower.

As in the game, police say that the cause of death was unclear and that the body didn't show obvious signs of violence. That's seriously strange. Again, not to make light of this man's death, because he probably has friends and family who will be tragically affected by this, but the whole thing is just one hell of a coincidence.

If you live in Oak Park, try to refrain from sticking your hands in any TVs for a while, okay? You never know what might happen. HOLY CRAP, SPOILERS!

If you don't get that reference, you seriously need to play Persona 4.

(Destructoid [http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/oakland_county/Copy_of_MIBroadcast-Tower-Body_33547327])

Jesus, John... You talk about how people should play P4, and you put in a major spoiler just a few sentences later.

Anyway, this is extremely creepy. If that's the work of someone who actually played P4, and got that idea for it, then we can expect another wave 'Games are bad' articles.

Also, what's next? The real deal Origami Killer?

Joking aside, my condolences to the family. They must be through a really hard time right now...

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
that was creepy when i read this but when i watch the news video it turned to what happened to cause him to die and why was he on the platform of the tv tower

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
Oh crap, I didn't expect this to start off in March! I thought I still had a month more to prepare! I'm gonna have to pay more attention to the news forecast and make sure I got contact with my best friends constantly.

Seriously though, condolences to the family.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
John! Serious spoilers! You probably just ruined the game for a lot of people there!

OT: Wow, that is wierd. I wonder if it was foggy the night before...

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
PixelKing said:
Is the escapist trying to get us to play persona 4?
I could make a nasty comment but since a man is dead i shall refrain.

1,000 foot high?
Its one man's opinion, and it is that good.

I had to touch my TV after reading this, just to be safe.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...That's creepy. ...I'm gonna go find my tarot deck, I think I left it around here somewhere...

Also, my condolences to the family.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
Ghengis John said:
Kind of a head scratcher what he was doing up there. My money says he was drunk or high. You would have to be to climb a thousand foot tower in your underwear.
Of course he was high, you can't get that HIGH up while being on the ground!

:p

CAPTCHA: wisdomj ingriseen

Doog0AD

Apr 23, 2010
...Now to find some laconic silver-haired dude and cling to him until the police finds out what's happened.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Bige1516 said:
o_O

That is creepy. I hope the news station doesn't blame Persona 4 for this.
I doubt the enws would even be able to spot the connection. Persona 4 is a well respected game, but even many dedicated gamers haven't played it. Let's hope news stations don't read articles on gaming forums...

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Quick, call Naoto Shirogane. Only the "Detective Prince" and her cohorts can help us now!

On a much more serious note, my condolences to his family and the poor person that had to find him.

Ghengis John said:
Kind of a head scratcher what he was doing up there. My money says he was drunk or high. You would have to be to climb a thousand foot tower in your underwear.
Yeah it sounds like it to me as well. I hope it's not something more sinister because I shudder to think what the backlash would be like.

Jonesy911

Jul 6, 2009
Yossarian1507 said:
John Funk said:

A bizarre death in Michigan could have come straight out of Atlus' Persona 4.

We here at The Escapist would never make fun of the death of another human being, but this is too eerie to ignore. If you never played Atlus' PS2 swan song Persona 4 (and shame on you if that's the case), the events of the game were set in motion by a series of deaths in the small Japanese town of Inaba. Mysterious dead bodies were found hanging upside-down on TV antennas, with the police unable to determine cause of death.

Creepy, right? What's creepier is that something like it actually happened in Oak Park, Michigan [http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/oakland_county/Copy_of_MIBroadcast-Tower-Body_33547327]. The body of a man clad only in T-shirt and underwear was found by repair workers at the top of a 1,000-foot-high TV broadcast tower.

As in the game, police say that the cause of death was unclear and that the body didn't show obvious signs of violence. That's seriously strange. Again, not to make light of this man's death, because he probably has friends and family who will be tragically affected by this, but the whole thing is just one hell of a coincidence.

If you live in Oak Park, try to refrain from sticking your hands in any TVs for a while, okay? You never know what might happen. HOLY CRAP, SPOILERS!

If you don't get that reference, you seriously need to play Persona 4.

(Destructoid [http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/oakland_county/Copy_of_MIBroadcast-Tower-Body_33547327])

Jesus, John... You talk about how people should play P4, and you put in a major spoiler just a few sentences later.

Anyway, this is extremely creepy. If that's the work of someone who actually played P4, and got that idea for it, then we can expect another wave 'Games are bad' articles.

Also, what's next? The real deal Origami Killer?

Joking aside, my condolences to the family. They must be through a really hard time right now...
That's not a "major spoiler", the tv bit happens about 1 hour into an 80-100 hour RPG

EDIT: And anyone who has seen a trailer knows about that aswell

EDIT: Am I the only one who finds it weird that the game came out in 2008/9 but the events in game took place in 2011? What year is it again...?

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
TrogzTheTroll said:
I live in Michigan, so I'm just going to avoid my T.V. for the time. Poor guy though, best wishes to his friends and family.
This, although I am curious as to what my TV will do...best keep watching

Jonesy911

Jul 6, 2009
darthotaku said:
I'll go get persona 4 and play it... as soon as I play 1 through 3
Skip P1&2. P1 sucks and P2 is getting a psp remake anyway. If you're only gonna play one then play 4, it's only tangently related to P3 and neither P3 or P4 are related to P1 or P2 in any noticible way.

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
Jonesy911 said:
darthotaku said:
I'll go get persona 4 and play it... as soon as I play 1 through 3
Skip P1&2. P1 sucks and P2 is getting a psp remake anyway. If you're only gonna play one then play 4, it's only tangently related to P3 and neither P3 or P4 are related to P1 or P2 in any noticible way.
thanks. I'll keep that in mind.