Mystery And Controversy Surround Slavery The Game

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
internetzealot1 said:
AO rating for a management sim and Wilhelm scream. Totally fake.
Also doesn't help that the ESRB [http://www.esrb.org/] doesn't actually have a listed classification of the game in their records.

Ten quid says this is a faux trailer made by some ultra-right wing religious organization to scare parents into thinking "games are the devil!" (ignoring the obvious fact that religious texts were used to justify slavery).

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Wicky_42 said:
Seventh Actuality said:
WILHELM SCREAM! :D
That fucking scream gets EVERYWHERE! Gorram do I hate that thing DX

What was the announcer's accent meant to be? He kinda sounded States, but there was a weird clipping to it that made me think S. African or some weird part of Ozz... then again, I suck at accents ;)
I'm not too familiar with South African, but his pronunciation certainly was clipping sounds heavily.

Everything which could remotely be interpreted as a plosive sound was pronounced as such (the G in "go" for example was akin to the C in "catering"). Many vowels were cut much shorter than you'd expect (the OU in "tremendous" was pronounced like the U in "pus").

However, interestingly enough the "T" in "exploit" was never pronounced. The "oit" part was more akin to the "oil" in "coiled".

When also taking into consideration that "Sabre" is being spelled "Sabel" this makes me pretty sure it's a Dutch guy pulling this hoax.

EDIT: There are quite a few interesting history lessons to be had here.
For one: did you know the bolt-action rifle was invented in the 17th century? Proof at 0:34.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
standokan said:
If this game is real then I give FOX a green light, this game might just deserve it.
This game doesn't offend white people, so I think it will be safe.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Obviously not coming out; it says it'll be for the Xbox 360 and the PS3, but Sony and Microsoft don't allow AO-ratings on games releasing on their consoles. Furthermore, I highly doubt a game with only a teaser trailer could possibly get a rating.
I call trolls on this one.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Looks pretty damn fake to me.
Since when have game trailers had terrible movie style narrations?

And the gameplay footage looked pretty hastily thrown together.

Nice art though.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Sounds like something that should be bundled together with the School Shooter Mod as some kind of super-controversial box set.

AlexWinter

Jun 24, 2009
I just wanna point out that from Javelin Reds. You can make Slave. I think there may be a hidden anagram somewhere in there.

Not sure if anyone's already mentioned it.

Guesses on whatever J.R.E.D.I.N. could mean?

vic_elor

Dec 23, 2009
internetzealot1 said:
AO rating for a management sim and Wilhelm scream. Totally fake.
That's exactly what I thought the moment I saw the AO rating. The game as shown does not deserve an AO rating even if it really existed cause I can't imagine anyway to you could create this game in the style shown and have it not be rated more then M. Plus, if they aren't listing a launch date at all then you'd think the game would be "not yet rated."

Plus, the screen shots look more like a video game from the early or mid 90's then something created recently.

Say it with me... F... A...K...E!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Since the subject came up, I wouldn't mind seeing a game featuring the underground railroad. From a first person perspective.
This? If it is real then fine, but it is only going to be a waste of money. If it isn't, then what is hiding behind the curtains?

Smasngrab

Apr 23, 2009
Well, theres also the fact theat you need to remember that something has hapened so you can prevent it from happening again. The little in game bits shown wasent exacly amazing, and if your only option is trading in people then it realy isent any good. If it is an option, then it might be a interesting thought in a game, but still its also important to remember, at that time there was a completely different mind set to other people, money and such. Anyway if it is a real game, and it is made of horrible, we can not buy it and the company will get hurt economicaly for it.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
AlexWinter said:
I just wanna point out that from Javelin Reds. You can make Slave. I think there may be a hidden anagram somewhere in there.

It can be turned into "De Slavernij" (dutch for "The Slavery").

AlexWinter

Jun 24, 2009
Kargathia said:
AlexWinter said:

Brilliant, we're halfway there ;)

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
AlexWinter said:
Kargathia said:
AlexWinter said:

Brilliant, we're halfway there ;)
Well, so far it seems to be a prank by a Dutch art school student.

Shame really. It kinda was too easy to figure this one out.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
i just realised what it is:

its a statement about how any game that brings up a controversial topic can and inevitably will be defended as 'art'.

because you just know that someone is going to say 'nononono it doesnt SUPPORT slavery, its showing the dark and gritty lifestyle of the slave trade FROM A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE! we hear about how it was for the slaves but this is how the SLAVERS lived and why they did this. its ART! you wouldnt UNDERSTAND!'

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Thomas Guy said:
dogstile said:
Thomas Guy said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
Well then...that looks...different. Honestly I was hoping for something more S&M oriented but that's just me and my sick, depraved, mind. I think I'll be passing this one up though, even if it is real. Since it's advertised as being on the XBLA and, PSN I can't help but think buying this game or, expressing interest in or, defending this game could get you on some sort of watch-list. [sub]of course my bondagy thoughts could have already landed me on a watch list...[/sub]
You sir or madam, read my mind. All of it. Even the last part...stop it.

Edit- After watching the video...OH MY GOD. They can't be serious. On top of it looking like shit, it is so blatantly racist it's disgusting.
Erm, excuse me sir, but wtf are you on about? This shit actually happened in history. It's not racist to make a game that has the material in it. That's like saying its racist because you can play a black guy who steals stuff in GTA because its a black guy who's doing it.
It's racist in that IT'S FUCKING RACIST. Just because it actually happened doesn't make it less racist. And it's VERY racist because of the near glee and joy that the trailer nearly came in showing the ways you can beat the fuck out of your slaves.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/racism

Yup. Totally racism. Right there is racism. I can't believe how right you are. Oh my god, its a game that's showing white people owning trading black slaves in the time period when they actually did that, using the tools they actually used. I can't believe they're getting away with this. /sarcasm

Seriously, before you start throwing around the word racism, I suggest you actually learn what the word means, because this isn't racist.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Thomas Guy said:
It's racist in that IT'S FUCKING RACIST. Just because it actually happened doesn't make it less racist. And it's VERY racist because of the near glee and joy that the trailer nearly came in showing the ways you can beat the fuck out of your slaves.
Just like Battlefield's treatment of World War II is racist because it divides Japanese soldiers from American soldiers and has them fight to the death. "Oh sweet, I can fly a Chance-Vought F4U Corsair or shell the coast with a destroyer!" Racist.

I'm pretty sure the trailer is a parody of the gleeful way in which many games glorify war, crime, assassination, slaughter, bodily injury, and other putatively horrible things. Sometimes we give style points for horrific fatalities. And not to mention other systems of power like monarchy and aristocracy being employed in the fictional or historical worlds of video games. Now, I'm not going to say that we (or game producers) are "wrong" to simulate or enjoy these things. In fact I quite enjoy games that have many of those things-- I'll gladly loot and raze a village in Mount and Blade if it suits my purposes, for example. Come to think of it I've chased down serfs to force them back to work and sold prisoners to be galley slaves in that game as well.

This game trailer sounds like a more detailed, micro-level Sid Meier's Colonization-- a good game in its own right (actually I can only speak to the quality of the Civ4 mod of the same name.) I think it would be interesting to have a game in the colonial setting which didn't just gloss over the particulars of slavery. Something a bit more involving than a check box on a policy screen. And if that means a graphic depiction of beating the shit out of slaves, I don't see the difference between that and murdering a caravan of traders for their velvet, olive oil, salt, and horses.

The only difference is that killing is seen as an acceptable (and ubiquitous) method of doing just about anything in a video game. But suddenly we're squeamish about a depiction of the administration of corporal punishment upon innocent people? Come on. What could be the worry, that spontaneously everyone will think slavery is fine? Just like how I base my politics on how well things work in Civ 5? "So, yeah, if we had a landed elite and monarchy we could have more population growth in our cities."

Is there a huge moral difference between a game that simulates the experience of a warlord or emperor and one that simulates the experience of a slave trader? I don't think that a rational examination could produce a plausible one.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Seanchaidh said:
Is there a huge moral difference between a game that simulates the experience of a warlord or emperor and one that simulates the experience of a slave trader? I don't think that a rational examination could produce a plausible one.
A rational examination of this comes up with the fact there's a bit of a collective guilt issue clouding judgement.

Whether in a perfectly logical world slavery is morally worse than, say, open sadism as practiced in Bulletstorm: I don't know.
I don't care either, as that perfectly logical world is right next to fairy-tale land.

And I don't mean Disneyland.