Mythic: WoW is Copying Warhammer

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I just dont see why peeps are getting all bent about this. Did you read the article? The guy said he was flatered that WoW was responding to the WAR challenge by shoring up an aspect of WoW that has always been poor at best.

If anyone here who has played WoW says that its open world PvP was either worth it or fun they are lying. It was meh at best...

They want to make it better? Great, and they will do it like every other developer will, by looking at their competitors.

Open World PvP was out well before WoW was... the difference is that RvR is a Mythic phrase and is copyrighted. Siege equipment was in DAoC before WoW was even invented (that is another Mythic game).

nett3

Jul 14, 2008
I don't go out of my way to support or undermine either game. I just find it rather amusing how the developers of both games act when questioned about the other, or often not even questioned they'll just blatantly attack the other.

My opinion of the companies is affected by how they handle these issues. I don't remember seeing many "Blizzard's (some guy) calls out Mythic on (some feature)". It's always Mythic creating waves.

Either way all of this is really meaningless and should be taken lightly for entertainment.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
as was said the wow world pvp wasn't as good or as nice as the war version of it

i don't think holding a point actually gave you stuff in wow or anything noticeable in wow and it was rather easy to take a point back, in war it's a LOT harder to do those things and holding points does give you certain bonuses too

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Jacobs: If they steal from me, that means i'm great and they suck.
Jacobs: If i steal from them, that means i'm great and they suck.
JacobsL If i make stuff up, that means i'm great and they suck.

WoW had open world pvp while mythic was still working on Imperator Online.

And as usual war fanboys start defending the quality of their game over that of wow while nobody was even discussing it in the first place.

AND NO I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANYMORE ABOUT HOW YOU THINK YOUR PVP WORKS BETTER THEN BLIZZARDS.
WE ARE DISCUSSING THE DATE ON WHICH THEY WERE FIRST CREATED, NOT THE QUALITY!!!

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Isn't... isn't this what games in competition with each other do? Aren't they supposed to basically copy the other game to keep their own users?

On the subject, didn't W:AoR copy WoW's interface exactly anyway?

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
I see what they've done. The claim itself is an attempt to bring more attention to Warhammer Online, and, obviously, it's worked

Besides, there's obviously similarities between them anyway. Did anyone not notice the fact, for fucking starters, they both feature orcs? :| By the way please don't tell me you did and that I'm 'ignorant' or 'stupid', it was rhetorical.

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
Saskwach post=7.74622.840746 said:
Why is there a defensive vibe in some of the comments here? The guy wasn't being sulky: in fact he said he was "flattered". Whether his assertion is correct is another matter, but I don't know why people think he's whinging.
He's being pompous and this is crap Mythic always does. All of the things WAR 'copied' from WoW (who copied from EQ who copied from blah blah blah, I know) andsuddenly he calls this out? Please, it's embarrassing.

"They copied our PVP system! The superior game with PvE will now have *our* superior PvP! I SHOULD BRING ATTENTION TO THIS!" Even though WotLK has been in development for about two years and we knew about Lake Wintergrasp shortly after the game was announced at Blizzcon. I don't think they could just tack on a new PVP system in the months between WotLK release and WAR release.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
well im just confused about what he meant by "leveling" through pvp in wow, cause i thought that went out along with the pvp titles in wow

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Asehujiko post=7.74622.843678 said:
WoW had open world pvp while mythic was still working on Imperator Online.[/b]
Ummm

DAoC was released in 2001... 3 years before WoW? And I think DAoC had Open world PvP? I may be wrong...

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Bretty post=7.74622.844072 said:
Asehujiko post=7.74622.843678 said:
WoW had open world pvp while mythic was still working on Imperator Online.[/b]
Ummm

DAoC was released in 2001... 3 years before WoW? And I think DAoC had Open world PvP? I may be wrong...
I was refering to the fact that he acts as if WAR invented open world pvp and wow is the second game ever to use it.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
They invented RvR.... isn't that enough?

Name one MMO release with as wide a scale of Open World RvR that came before DAoC and was actually popular?

WoW PvP will blow in WoTLK too. All they are doing now is putting in a 'Hero' class which wont be alowed to be hero because it will be OP, ROFL! GG

Wombats

Oct 3, 2008
There is nothing like WAR RvR in WoW and it lacks because of it.

The people objecting that WoW had open world PvP first don't know what WAR RvR is.

Give WAR a try, I enjoyed levels 1-10 more than I did the whole of WoW endgame.

WAR is fun. WoW is a chore.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Wombats post=7.74622.846111 said:
There is nothing like WAR RvR in WoW and it lacks because of it.

The people objecting that WoW had open world PvP first don't know what WAR RvR is.

WAR is fun. WoW is a chore.
Care to elaborate for someone who hasn't played WAR exactly what WoW is missing rather than simply saying "It's not there"?

Edit: Oh, and I'm trying to give WAR a try via a free trial, but apparently I'm not allowed the one off the site. http://www.war-europe.com/ doesn't seem to be working for me.
Edit2: Huh. Apparently they're not actually offering a free trial. How foolish for the official site to be top when I google "Warhammer Online free trial" then. Still, it also means I can't actually try the game.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Also, explain for once what makes wars pvp so special? Yes you can barge into the enemy capital and kill stuff. Guess wha, you can do that in wow too. The only differnce i can see is that war pvp gives you xp while wows doesn't and that war fanboys have a massive superiority complex.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Roll Draa... Drenaei on WoW. It absolutely astounded me how playing the opening area was so much different and... fun compared to levelling my other races. Really, its quite a good experience, although you are really led by the chain through most of the questing areas. WAR does this better by providing more levelling options, I guess?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Melaisis post=7.74622.847794 said:
Roll Draa... Drenaei on WoW. It absolutely astounded me how playing the opening area was so much different and... fun compared to levelling my other races. Really, its quite a good experience, although you are really led by the chain through most of the questing areas. WAR does this better by providing more levelling options, I guess?
Blood Elf was equally good to Draenei imho. They were both the new races so it's hardly surprising they had more polish on them then the other 8 races who'd been there since day 1.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning and World of Warcraft should never be put in the same article, and for SHAME Malygris for reporting what I see as inconsequential news. Really, it's only something that will end with hurt feelings and large, obtrusive expressions of nerd-rage on both sides; World of Warcraft takes things that have worked from other games, such as the Achievement system most prominently featured in Lord of the Rings Online and more recently introduced in Warhammer Online's Tome of Knowledge system. Their Player versus Player system has never been exemplary or spectacular either, with, at this rate, three battlegrounds in the beginning with a new one (usually an uncreative combination of systems already implemented in the game) every expansion (e.g. Eye of the Storm for Burning Crusade, Stand of the Ancients for Wrath). The few world objectives they had were nothing more than gimmicky time killers, like if Patrick's mom had called him up for dinner and the other four to nine basement-dwelling machildren were waiting for him to come back so they could finish Stratholme. Like previously mentioned, the most incentive EVER to accomplish these was the Spirit Shards awarded for the Tower control in the Bone Wastes, if only for more loot after the party. Which was and is all World of Warcraft's PvP system has been about; the only encouragement was easily-obtained "welfare" equipment from incredibly controlled, if not random and generally uncoordinated skirmishes in both Battlegrounds and the relatively recent Arena system.
Lake Wintergrasp is basically a claimed rip-off of the Keep system in Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, where you strap down cannons and battering rams and pots of boiling oil, and piss away minutes to hours clobbering doors, knocking down emplacements, and beating the living hell out of each other; only to do it again a few hours later, different, stronger, and all the wiser for it. Now, the Siege mechanics as sold in Wrath are different, definitely; you get to jump into a Warthog and fill bipedal cows with flak, then burn down a building whole-heartedly. But the principle remains; up until now, PvP had been a entertainment in the game, not an actual focus and something that you participated in for bragging rights (well, everything is essentially bragging rights in THAT game, but regardless). This sudden interest and "revolutionizing" can clearly be seen as a retaliation. Though it may seem a little bit narcissistic for Mythic to react to it as either flattery or take offense by the action, it's a tad justified; it means the monopoly regards Mythic's brainchild as, to some extent, a threat, and one that must be crushed under the weight of thousands of megabytes of new content, or face competition in a market they industrialized upon.