Mythic: WoW is Copying Warhammer

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
its must be done

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/4/10/i-hope-you-like-text/

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Odd, we have articles where the WoW crew rip on War a little and no one says anything, but the minute the WAR guys rip on WoW it's like a bloody religious war in here.

You guys need lives :(

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
geizr post=7.74622.840635 said:
I heard a rumor somewhere that the entire Warcraft franchise was originally a computerization of Warhammer, and that some political shenanigans resulted in Blizzard walking away with the rights to the game and renaming it Warcraft. I have not followed up on any of this; so, take it with a whole planet of salt.

As far as world pvp, I played WoW for 3 years(before I finally cut loose that horrible addiction), and I remember quite a bit of world pvp going on long before Warhammer Online. It may not be exactly the same implementation as Warhammer, but there was definitely world pvp.

Since I'm now out of the loop, I can only guess that the newer world pvp elements in WoW may be an evolution, not revolution, of the current world pvp. It is possible that that evolution is inspired by elements from the Warhammer world pvp. However, since I haven't thoroughly compared the two games, I'm just guess out my ass here.
Not confusing Starcraft being Alien Vs Predator without the rights? Because that, they failed to get their hands on.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Amnestic post=7.74622.847911 said:
Melaisis post=7.74622.847794 said:
Give WAR a try, I enjoyed levels 1-10 more than I did the whole of WoW endgame.
Roll Draa... Drenaei on WoW. It absolutely astounded me how playing the opening area was so much different and... fun compared to levelling my other races. Really, its quite a good experience, although you are really led by the chain through most of the questing areas. WAR does this better by providing more levelling options, I guess?
Blood Elf was equally good to Draenei imho. They were both the new races so it's hardly surprising they had more polish on them then the other 8 races who'd been there since day 1.
Yeah, I was levelling my Blood Elf today and because monsters give more exp and whatnot now I'm finding it to be a great experience.

Indeed, the polish on the old races is still lacking, but I cannot complain. That was 4 years ago, after all.

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
Or is WoW copying War Hammer, copying City of Heroes/villains since the villains expansion when added to heroes would allow PvP, back in 05 I believe?

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Puppetmaster24 said:
you all seem to forget we owe all modern fantasy to tolkein and C.S lewis.
Tolkein maybe. I notice a distinct -lack- of talking animals in modern fantasy games. Not that they don't occur...but not to the extent encountered in Narnia, unless you were referring to another piece of fantasy fiction by the esteemable Mr.Lewis? ;)

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Melaisis said:
Give WAR a try, I enjoyed levels 1-10 more than I did the whole of WoW endgame.
Roll Draa... Drenaei on WoW. It absolutely astounded me how playing the opening area was so much different and... fun compared to levelling my other races. Really, its quite a good experience, although you are really led by the chain through most of the questing areas. WAR does this better by providing more levelling options, I guess?
I agree with you that 1-20 with a Belf, or Draenei is much better then 1-20 with any other race, but as soon as you're done in Ghostland or Bloodmyst, it's right back to the regular old game. Vanilla wow is very boring, and there is no escaping it unless you make a DK. TBC content and WotLK are a lot more interesting, but it takes a long time to get that high with a regular character, even with the levelling adjustments.. and this is from a guy who's been playing the game for about 4 years and has levelled many many characters to the high levels.

I can't wait for blizzard's next MMO, built from the ground up with the sensibilities that they displayed in WotLK.. It'll have it's own "awesomeness evolution", but at least we'll start on a level of awesome that's a little more bearable.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
Altorin said:
I can't wait for blizzard's next MMO, built from the ground up with the sensibilities that they displayed in WotLK.. It'll have it's own "awesomeness evolution", but at least we'll start on a level of awesome that's a little more bearable.

have to agree on that with the skills they have picked up a mmo built from ground up will hopefully dazzle us all with its ease of use, eye candy, and entertainment value. The one thing that i just wish that they would do is cater to explorers a bit instead of punishing us such as maybe secret venders, hidden rooms, and hard to get to areas, not to mention that id love to see some randomness built into instances like they did in d2.

Puppetmaster24

Dec 28, 2008
GothmogII said:
Puppetmaster24 said:
Tolkein maybe. I notice a distinct -lack- of talking animals in modern fantasy games. Not that they don't occur...but not to the extent encountered in Narnia, unless you were referring to another piece of fantasy fiction by the esteemable Mr.Lewis? ;)
i just like talking beavers.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Puppetmaster24 said:
We also forgot this thread even existed. Y'know, cos no one had posted in it since last Rocktober, which was (counts)... nine months ago!

What's with all these people lately casting Necro on old threads?

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
Neither of these games came up with world PVP. DAOC, AC, EQ, Ultima online all had them and came before either of them. They should both shut the fuck up.

Scunner

Jan 21, 2009
quiet_samurai said:
Neither of these games came up with world PVP. DAOC, AC, EQ, Ultima online all had them and came before either of them. They should both shut the fuck up.
Mythic made DAOC, if I'm not mistaken, so they did kinda come up with it, even it was used in a previous game :)

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
Scunner said:
quiet_samurai said:
Mythic made DAOC, if I'm not mistaken, so they did kinda come up with it, even it was used in a previous game :)
Ohhhh yeah. Well they still need to shut up though.

crazy-j

Sep 15, 2008
well isnt that the way the market works? one company comes out with something new and then their competetors make something to counter that. they dont have to necessarily make something new

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
quiet_samurai said:
Scunner said:
quiet_samurai said:
They did. This thread was posted in October last year.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
Amnestic said:
quiet_samurai said:
Scunner said:
quiet_samurai said:
Lol.

Well.........ok then.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Amnestic said:
what tipped me off is everyone defending WOW instead of shitting all over it like we do today.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
Why did this thread get necroed? Either way, it does say the guy is "flattered", so it doesn't sound like a rip to me.

Aedrial

Jun 24, 2009
Xanadu84 said:
WAR PvP is FAR more robust then WoW, and ive played both. WoW PvP feels kinda tacked on as an afterthought, while WAR pushes you into it from level 2. I'm not sure if WoW got the idea from WAR, but it certainly sounds like WoW is trying to shore up some weaknesses that WAR executes perfectly.

Also, to be fair, Blizzard owes Warhammer to begin with. Starcraft thanked them for not suing them over the Zerg looking suspiciously like the Tyranids. Mythic sounds like there gloating a little, but not to an over the top degree.
40k is an adaption of the tabletop game, hasn't that been around longer than Starcraft?