"n00b" Beaten Out as One Millionth Word

PyroZombie

Apr 24, 2009
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Heck you'd be surprised at what is already in the dictionary. They added "Grrl", "muggle" and "Gaydar" to the dictionary for fucks sake.
Yeah, it's pretty safe to say society is full of retards now.

Kogarian

Feb 24, 2008
Well, I guess it's good to know most of us are more intelligent than the people who decide what to put into dictionaries.

I mean, honestly, new words would arise alongside each other all the time. It seems like what they're doing now is just by random chance.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
For the love of, it's better than n00b, but for fuck sake it's a phrase. With letters in! That no one ever uses! Screw it lets have t3h, and 1337 in there shall we? Or H4xz0r? or Pwn4g3?

ReZerO

Mar 2, 2009
i think we should make up a work here, we should all add it to our sigs, and when we've posted quite a number of times for a few months their stupid program will pick it up as a new word!

i say we use fubuzzaler: a fool who uses buzzwords too often.

Mr. Peligro

Apr 14, 2009
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Heck you'd be surprised at what is already in the dictionary. They added "Grrl", "muggle" and "Gaydar" to the dictionary for fucks sake.
oh my God those are acknowledged as real words these days?

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
To all of those who have completely misunderstood: n00b/noob still got added, it just got in before the count hit 1,000,000.

I think the failure here is in their definition of "word". Looking at wikipedia, apparently you can have compound words, the point being that you took two words, put them together to represent a new concept, and the quantity of information contained is larger than the sum of their parts (roughly speaking, because I'm not a linguist; good example though: ice cream). But these guys seem to be taking any word that ends up next to another word frequently enough. Web 2.0 is the second generation of the Web; you get that from the sum of the parts, it doesn't alter or enhance the meaning of "Web" or "2.0" by putting them together. Same with "financial tsunami". We know what "financial" means, and we know what "tsunami" means, and when you call a tsunami "financial", we basically get the point.

Apparently though, based on these "new" words, I now know the number one source of new words: TV pundits. They love them some phrases used like words...

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
The only time I've ever heard Web 2.0 used in on the radio stations in GTA IV. And they were making fun of the term.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Geoffrey42 said:
To all of those who have completely misunderstood: n00b/noob still got added, it just got in before the count hit 1,000,000.

I think the failure here is in their definition of "word". Looking at wikipedia, apparently you can have compound words, the point being that you took two words, put them together to represent a new concept, and the quantity of information contained is larger than the sum of their parts (roughly speaking, because I'm not a linguist; good example though: ice cream). But these guys seem to be taking any word that ends up next to another word frequently enough. Web 2.0 is the second generation of the Web; you get that from the sum of the parts, it doesn't alter or enhance the meaning of "Web" or "2.0" by putting them together. Same with "financial tsunami". We know what "financial" means, and we know what "tsunami" means, and when you call a tsunami "financial", we basically get the point.

Apparently though, based on these "new" words, I now know the number one source of new words: TV pundits. They love them some phrases used like words...
Yes, thanks for clarifying that. If you look at it this way, n00b is a more important word than Web 2.0. Of course, now I feel dirty for typing it, because Wethe thing is so stupid. Also re: newscasters, the only problem with that is when they get their hands on subculture slang and enter Doing It Wrong territory several years after it's faded it's somehow more legitimate. Then again, CNN is where copy writers/editors go to die.

Hive-Mind

Jul 2, 2008
Web 2.0 is a legitimate phrase that has been around for quite some time, I had always equated it to Ajax type site design and stuff like that, but it turns out it actually means 'user-centric' design, with things like social networking sites or user submitted content and such.

It is not however a word, I would call it a term really, but it is absolutely not in any way a word, nor is 'financial tsunami.' I mean think about it, would you ask "can a word have two words in it?" - that doesn't even make sense.

A word is the smallest form of meaning, letters mean nothing on their own, but words do. 'Financial tsunami' is not the smallest form of meaning, it is made from two constituent parts with their own meanings, therefore is not a word IMO.

I mean come on, why not have phrases like "running quickly" as words? They are used thousands of times more often as 'financial tsunami' - because that would be really, really stupid.

Also what's with all the noob hating, I quite like it personally... I wouldn't use it to insult someone, but it's a fun word to jokingly attack your friends with.

Hive-Mind

Jul 2, 2008
Geoffrey42 said:
I can see the logic in this, but I'm guessing compound words are literally put together when you write them so they become a single word, to represent the fact that they are in actual fact words and not just phrases.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Hive-Mind said:
I can see the logic in this, but I'm guessing compound words are literally put together when you write them so they become a single word, to represent the fact that they are in actual fact words and not just phrases.
'Icecream' is sometimes put together, because in people's heads it IS one word, but it is actually ice cream, as spell check is glad to point out.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Im sorry but however much the term Noob makes me grind my teeth together they're in danger of breaking on each other. Web 2.0 will not be recognized as a legitimate 'word' in my eyes. It's a term. It has numbers in it. It is two words together when you get down to the nitty gritty.

Utterly pathetic. Who decides this rubbish? A 13 year old whiny Myspace user? A Wiki-whore, who?!

I'd have rather had my word "Dynamicityness" added instead, hmmph.

Zhalath

Mar 19, 2009
I have never seen nor heard the word "Web 2.0", ever.
Numbers don't belong in words.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
You know, why didn't they add noob a long time ago, when it first started being used? Are they trying to act like they get it?