"n00b" Beaten Out as One Millionth Word

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Heck you'd be surprised at what is already in the dictionary. They added "Grrl", "muggle" and "Gaydar" to the dictionary for fucks sake.
Another reader of Cracked?

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Geoffrey42 said:
Hive-Mind said:
I can see the logic in this, but I'm guessing compound words are literally put together when you write them so they become a single word, to represent the fact that they are in actual fact words and not just phrases.
'Icecream' is sometimes put together, because in people's heads it IS one word, but it is actually ice cream, as spell check is glad to point out.
But you can have "ice cream" as one word because when they are put in that order, they make something different than what the individual words represent. Why do we call it ice cream to begin with? I don't know, it's definately made with more than just those 2 ingredients.

I'm not saying "Web 2.0" should be a word, i'm just pointing out a slight difference.

minarri

Dec 31, 2008
Malygris said:
In fact, questions about what constitutes a legitimate English word, complicated by compound words, obsolete terms and other issues, led University of California at Berkeley [http://berkeley.edu/] Linguistics Professor Geoffrey Nunberg to dismiss the ranking entirely. "I think it's pure fraud," he said. "It's not bad science. It's nonsense."
He speaks the truth. I love this man.

CVLawes

Apr 21, 2009
I can not take that website seriously. How can they class a phrase as a word. If it has a space in it it is not a word, it is two words. Just have a look at the "Chief Word Analyst" in the about tab, it seems like there a bunch of n00bs with too much time on their hands, lol.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
"Web 2.0" isn't a word, it's one word and some letters. Also, what the bloody hell does it mean? A new type of internet or something?

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Frizzle said:
But you can have "ice cream" as one word because when they are put in that order, they make something different than what the individual words represent. Why do we call it ice cream to begin with? I don't know, it's definately made with more than just those 2 ingredients.
[bitter]
Thank you for taking my comment completely out of context. I was responding to someone who was responding to something I said, where I SPECIFICALLY USED ICE CREAM AS AN EXAMPLE OF A GOOD COMPOUND WORD WHICH MEANS MORE AS A WHOLE THAN THE SUM OF ITS PARTS. I really appreciate you defending my point of view back at me. It's like a mirror. I love mirrors. They're so shiny. Forgive me for not quoting the entire train of thought/thread; I thought the forum itself did a pretty good job of tracking what people said as things went along.
[/bitter]

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Geoffrey42 said:
Frizzle said:
[bitter]
Thank you for taking my comment completely out of context. I was responding to someone who was responding to something I said, where I SPECIFICALLY USED ICE CREAM AS AN EXAMPLE OF A GOOD COMPOUND WORD WHICH MEANS MORE AS A WHOLE THAN THE SUM OF ITS PARTS. I really appreciate you defending my point of view back at me. It's like a mirror. I love mirrors. They're so shiny. Forgive me for not quoting the entire train of thought/thread; I thought the forum itself did a pretty good job of tracking what people said as things went along.
[/bitter]
:p Forgive me then if I took your post wrong. Though I believe my intention, yesterday, was to reinforce what you were saying to the poster you quoted. It wasn't really directed at you. Apologies for not making myself clear.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Malygris said:
Other words beat out for the top spot include "recessionista," "sexting," "octomom" and "slumdog," as did the non-English terms "Chengguan" and "Jai Ho!"
octomom... you have got to be fucking kidding me.

VitalSigns said:
The word N00b makes my blood boil! it the lamest insult possible, it is said so often and in such rapid succession that it has lost all meaning. NOOB NUB NOOBLET NUBBER, Just shut up, ALSO how is it an insult to be new to something? I never understood this. in Place of N00BZ i tend to call people Amateurs on games, really seems to get to them.
Also this.

Deathsquirt

Jun 13, 2009
VitalSigns said:
The word N00b makes my blood boil! it the lamest insult possible, it is said so often and in such rapid succession that it has lost all meaning. NOOB NUB NOOBLET NUBBER, Just shut up, ALSO how is it an insult to be new to something? I never understood this. in Place of N00BZ i tend to call people Amateurs on games, really seems to get to them.
I'm no high level magician but something tells me statements like "The word N00b makes my blood boil!" are the exact reason it's being used. If no one was bothered by it, people wouldn't use it as an insult. So stop hating it. It's your fault people use it, most likely.

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
Deathsquirt said:
VitalSigns said:
I'm no high level magician but something tells me statements like "The word N00b makes my blood boil!" are the exact reason it's being used. If no one was bothered by it, people wouldn't use it as an insult. So stop hating it. It's your fault people use it, most likely.
Its not the actual use of it, or the fact that I find it insulting, its the fact that its the default thing that people just say cause there to brain dead to sling something with even just a little bit of creativity. It makes my blood boil that its become an actual unified word, not that people say it, anyone who over uses "N00b" is either 14 or a fucking moron.

EDIT*** I know its not an official word, but it might as well be. I stand by my point. Granted, Web 2.0???

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I can deal with Noob and Newb being word, as well as additions like Sexting. There both singular words with a precise definition which is generally accepted by a decent cross section of the population. There slang, and not exactly professional language, but they are still, for all intents and purposes, a word. Since the idea of separating noob and newb into 2 separate classifications is still limited to gamers, I think its most appropriate to limit it to 1 entry. I'm not so sure about Octomom: It's more like a label made to apply to a very specific thing. If having 8 kids became a trend, then I could see referring to one of several people as, "an octomom", but right now its pretty much just applied to one person. However, one thing that is very, very clear to me is that "Web 2.0" and "Financial Tsunami" are NOT words. They are Phrases. Web 2.0, for example, as presented, is 4 words. And if Financial Tsunami is a word, then your going to need an entire separate dictionary filled with, "Fucking *Noun Here*", followed by another dictionary with "Damn *Noun Here*". You see, starting with a subject and adding qualifiers in the form of additional words separated by spaces is a sentence. If those are words, I say that you have to say that this poem is a word

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Wheelbarrow

Hive-Mind

Jul 2, 2008
Frizzle said:
Geoffrey42 said:
Hive-Mind said:
I can see the logic in this, but I'm guessing compound words are literally put together when you write them so they become a single word, to represent the fact that they are in actual fact words and not just phrases.
'Icecream' is sometimes put together, because in people's heads it IS one word, but it is actually ice cream, as spell check is glad to point out.

I'm not saying "Web 2.0" should be a word, i'm just pointing out a slight difference.
I suppose it depends on your definition of 'word' - which is down to us, the users (and therefore shapers) of the English language, there is no other authority (unlike French for example, but who cares about them?). For me phrases with spaces are not words, that's what a hyphen is for - others may disagree, but in the end it is popular opinion/usage that determines what is right.