Naming your gaming rigs

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I don't name my system, but my hard drives are named Serenity, Satellite of Love and Galactica.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
My current laptop: no name yet. It hasn't distingued itself yet.

My old laptop: Panda, like the car. It lasts a long time time, even if all non essential systems start breaking one by one from the first months you have it.

My N64: My precious, nuff said.

All my old gameboys have been award the name, lost ones. As the name implies, they're somewhere in a box. Worst case scenerio, my father threw them away with the rest of my stuff I left at his place. So many memories with that old original gameboy, I hope it finds it way back into my loving hands one day :(

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Darth Carr said:
My Xbox: that piece of shit

My PS3: that piece of shit

My Wii: that piece of shit

My 3DS: that piece of shit

My PSP: that piece of shit
That made me laugh.

OT: I call mine "Nuclear Bomb". It's so ancient, slow and full of random crap. I get the feeling it wants to explode at any moment. Even now.

I am planning to get a new one soon, though.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
System name: [My Name] - PC
Why? Easy identification when setting up stuff on my family LAN.
What I call it IRL: 'PC' 'Rig' or 'Tower' dependent on which is most appropriate at the time. Usually preceded by 'My'.

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
The Xbox is called The Xbox, the Wii is called The Wii.
All of the computers in the house have different names though. The laptop is called Neverland, my PC is called Bounty and Brother's PC is called [his name]'s PC, although it was called Andromeda or something not too long ago.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Seeing how my computer is a huge black monster I call it Behemoth. I never gave my consoles names since they're just like any other console.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
The main machine: "Dyoneseus"
Laptop: "Bugatti"
Netbook: "Athena"
iPod: "Azura"
Old Mac I use once in a blue moon: "Venus"

I picked up the habbit a few years back, its occasionally useful.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
I call my computer "aluminum falcon" and my dad calls his home pc "bilbo" and his laptop "frodo"

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I've named my PC HAL-9001. Man, I'm so creative.
Never gave my consoles any names. That's just weird.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Huh... never thought of doing that.

Though friends and family occasionally refer to my gaming laptop (flameshields activate!) as "the lamborghini" because it has 2 huge fan exhausts at the back.

Others have also called it the "holy crap what is that?" and the "that's... not a normal laptop is it?" Now I'm not the kind of person the flaunt my stuff but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy that :)

God you got my imagination working now though, so many options... It's black and modelled after a stealth bomber so: the stealth bomber, the black box, the ninja,...

Also, my sister's laptop's fan occasionally suddenly starts making so much noise you'd think it's trying to take off like a helicopter. Hence: the helicopter.

StevieC

Jan 9, 2008
I have to name all my stuff. Hostnames are a necessity to keep a LAN navigable. My current gaming tower is named Wardenclyffe after Nikola Tesla's never-completed wireless power-station from circa 1901. I intend to name future machines after nuclear plants. My ideal next build would be called Pickering after plant in the Canadian province of Ontario. I generally count how many _PU's the system has and name it after a nuclear plant with the same number of reactors, with a couple exceptions. One machine I cobbled together by macGyvering other parts from other PCs got the name "Scrapbox". It's no longer in service though.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Desk top: Prime-PC (As in Optimus Prime)
Laptop: RX-178 (Gundam model # from Zeta Gundam)
PSP: Vic Viper
Game Cube: Hall 9000 (complete with Hall 9000 Eye decal)
PS3: Dark Sakul
Xbox 360: M.S.B.S (from Virtual-On, as I only have it for Virtual-On, Trigger Heart Excelcia and Radiant Silvergun)
Dreamcast: Algol Solar System (see original Phantasy Star series, Not Phantasy Star Online)
Sega Saturn: Morrigan Aensland (Dark Stalkers)
Super Nintendo: Formerly The Super Nintendo, now Pinkie Pie
Sega Genesis: the Sega
Nintendo NES: Nintendo

Need name for my 3DS.

achilleas.k

Apr 11, 2009
I started naming my computers when I got an HP ZD8000. I was replaying Ocarina of Time during that time and the ZD in the model name inspired me to call her "Zelda".

My old media centre was called Thelma (because she was quite an old PC when I named her and Thelma is like an old woman's name -- apologies to all Thelmas on the forums).

My old gaming PC is called Fryni and now she serves as the media centre.

My current work laptop is called Yuki and my new gaming PC is called Morgana.

Yes, they are all female and I refer to them by name or as "her" and "she" all the time (it's convenient when there's 5 computers in the house).

We also have one more gaming PC (my girlfriend's) which is called Dante.