Nathan Fillion Reminds Gamers of the Dangers of "Swamp Ass"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nathan Fillion Reminds Gamers of the Dangers of "Swamp Ass"

A sweaty backside while gaming can be a terrible thing.

"Swamp Ass." It's a phenomenon that most gamers are sadly all too familiar with. You're sitting on your couch, shooting some faces in Call of Duty: The Newest One, and then you begin to feel oddly moist. Like a perfect storm, the sweat on your back and the warmth of the couch combine to wreak havoc, only it's on your backside instead of shorefront property.

Actor Nathan Fillion, best known to nerds for his role as Captain Mal Reynolds on Firefly - and known to gamers for his work in games like play Nathan Drake on the big screen [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94968-Nathan-Fillion-Wants-In-on-Halo-Reach] - thinks that more people need to be aware of this tragic issue that affects millions around the world.

Fillion and Break.com [http://www.break.com/] have teamed up to produce this Public Service Announcement that you see here to the right, to raise awareness about the dangers of Swamp Ass - because the more we know about it, the more we can fight it. With hair dryers. Between raids.

Thanks, Cap'n Mal. You're awfully shiny for doing this.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Good lord, that man is the best man in the history of men.

Phlakes

+15 Dagger of Socks
Mar 25, 2010
This is the best thing I've seen in weeks. And I just watched Labyrinth last night. Somehow, Nathan Fillion is better than David Bowie's crotch.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
That is quite possibly the strangest thing I've heard in relation to gaming lately, but I believe the appropriate response is...

Iznat

Feb 13, 2010
That was absolutely adorable.

I have no idea why. Cheered me up to no end, though.

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
Country
United States
Was that Nyan Cat with an NES controller for a body? ... o_O

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Wow, this was the best and funniest thing I've seen recently, even though I've been going through the LoadingReadyRun video archives... Nathan Fillion is just plain awesome.

Also:
Radoh said:
Good lord, that man is the best man in the history of men.
sounds about right.

EDIT:
Black Watch said:
I think I just turned gay because of that man.
As a completely straight man, I can say that that is a reasonable response

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I lol'd. Swamp ass....not something I get but I could see how it would be annoying.

Sepiida

Jan 25, 2010
God bless you Nathan Fillion.

This man needs to be cloned immediately.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
That perfectly serious expression he pulls when he starts using the hairdryer made me crack up. Please tell me there will be more of this "The More You Nerd".

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Vault Citizen said:
I have never heard of (or experienced) Swamp Ass, is it really that common a thing?
It really depends on where you're sitting and your own body. It happens to me a lot when I sit on pleather chairs. Real leather or fabric and I'm just fine, but 10 minutes on a pleather chair and my pants are soaked through. No idea why.

I can't say how common it is though, I haven't actually asked anyone if they get it /shrug.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
I can see why XKCD have an obsession with this guy. He's pretty damn awesome.

laol1999

Apr 15, 2010
Vault Citizen said:
I have never heard of (or experienced) Swamp Ass, is it really that common a thing?
i havn't either but i guess that people who do marathon gaming sessions get it

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
I love how he keeps a straight face, he's so good at being cheesy, it's easily overplayed, but he really sounds like he means what he's saying.
Awesome NyES cat at the end

vrbtny

Sep 16, 2009
Jedoro said:
How. The hell. Does he say that with a straight face?
Pure Awesomness, that's how...

oh, but if you want a serious reply : "It's Nathan Fillion. The man could walk on gudamn water."

FunKing

May 17, 2010
electric_warrior said:
Is this "Swamp Ass" an actual phenomenon that people are familiar with and aware of?
it sucks....never had it from gaming, but working 14-20 hour days paving roads w/ 340degree asphalt on a day thats 90 degrees+ .....i can personally say, its something that people should be aware of

the spud

May 2, 2011
This man, Tim Schafer, Shegyru Miyamoto, and the entire staff of valve should get together and have a baby. We should then worship that baby.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Would someone please give this man back Firefly!?!! I would game with this man any day, Swamp Ass or no Swamp Ass!

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
Hillarious vid, but seriously, "Swamp ass"? I mean, I can sit down and play for extended periods of time (hell, I can have one gaming session going a whole freakin' day if there's nothing else to do), but I have never heard of or encountered this "swamp ass"-thing before now xD

Is this seriously a thing people suffer from? xD

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Good God, that man is sexy. And I'm straight...

Anyway, thanks Capt'n. Some of us gamers had better heed Mal's words...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
This man is epic. If there is one star in the world whos hand I could shake, I would choose Nathan Fillion every time.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Best damn PSA I've heard in a very long time. Why is this not being played on our tv's!? D:

Well that cheered me up for a little bit, thank you Mr. Fillion! :D

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
His straight, "the more you know" face while saying Swamp Ass broke me. My soul is touched deeply by this.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
buy teh haloz said:
Was I seriously the only one looking at him in his ODST armor from Halo 3:ODST?
Apparently. I'm pretty sure 99% of the Escapist joined me in picturing him in his sexy brown coat...

Sixties Spidey

Jan 24, 2008
thethingthatlurks said:
buy teh haloz said:
Apparently. I'm pretty sure 99% of the Escapist joined me in picturing him in his sexy brown coat...
I just think it's funny to see an ODST in full armor shove a blow-dryer down their pants...

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
buy teh haloz said:
thethingthatlurks said:
buy teh haloz said:
I just think it's funny to see an ODST in full armor shove a blow-dryer down their pants...
I may be drunk right now, but I absolutely agree! Wait, don't those power armors have AC built in?

fieryshadowcard

May 18, 2011
Mistermixmaster said:
Hillarious vid, but seriously, "Swamp ass"? I mean, I can sit down and play for extended periods of time (hell, I can have one gaming session going a whole freakin' day if there's nothing else to do), but I have never heard of or encountered this "swamp ass"-thing before now xD

If you've never experienced it, consider yourself lucky to have found a seat that does not suffocate your behind. The right seat will keep you dry every time. The wrong one... well, we don't like to talk about the wrong one around here. Let's just say plastic covers were never meant to be sat on for long periods of time. Also, the staining moisture and the description of the smell is over-exaggerated most of the time for most people, but that just further hammers home the point.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Oh. MY. 'dies from laughter'.
That..that was gold. Especially the end. All of the end.

Mistermixmaster said:

I had it once while gaming...but I think it was because it was really really hot and I was sitting on plastic. That was a really uncomfortable situation.

Sep 14, 2009
Vault Citizen said:
do you have any hair on your body at all? and what kind of climate do you live in?

where i'm from..swamp ass can happen the instant you sit down somewhere, depending on your "britches".

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
I have suffered from Swamp Ass. It is less from couches and more from my dorm rooms crapy chairs. The cushions retain so much heat that I have to get up after an hour of sitting on it, the fact that the room doesn't have AC never helps.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
think the cap'n needs to lose some weight...but still lookin' good!

esp since it's been a while since we heard from him (needs to go on Jimmy Kimmel Live again!)

SirBryghtside said:
Black Watch said:
I think I just turned gay because of that man.
You don't have to be gay to love Nathan Fillion ;)
:p it's true

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
I don't know why anyone other than him would be considered for the part of Nathan Drake. Seriously... Mark Wahlberg? The fuck? o_O

Anyway, more on topic... I don't even know what to say. That was pure awesome.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
thethingthatlurks said:
buy teh haloz said:
thethingthatlurks said:
buy teh haloz said:
I may be drunk right now, but I absolutely agree! Wait, don't those power armors have AC built in?
lol no I think only the MJOLNIR was that advanced. ODST armor is prob just a slightly upgraded Marine armor?

it's funny cuz I was JUST thinking about how hot full combat armor must get. or heck even riot police armor after a lot of running and smacking people (yes it was hot outside and I was wearing jeans)

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Huh.

Y'know, I think I finally understand why that guy is so well regarded.

That was hilarious. All the more so because he was completely straight faced the whole time.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Mistermixmaster said:

Sounds like they need to game in better ventilated rooms... air conditioning is ideal, with icy cold beverages aplenty.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
One more reason why Nathan Fillion is the male epitome of awesome. Well one of them anyway ;)

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Vault Citizen said:
I only get swamp ass in a small amount if it's warm, and I'm in my leather pc chair. I never get it on couches or other chairs.

It really is bad.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
laol1999 said:
Vault Citizen said:
i havn't either but i guess that people who do marathon gaming sessions get it
12 hours straight in LAN parties, multiple times and it's the first I hear of this, so nope.

OT: Awesome and hilarious video, Nathan Fillion ftw. But honestly haven't heard of or experienced this in my life and I've been a gamer since I can remember and no stranger to gaming marathons, playing when it's over 40 degrees (Celsius, you weird American people) outside without AC etc.

Maybe it's just crappy seating or something?

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Nyan Thornberry is pleased with this.
Is this even a real thing though? Because i don't get it. *shifty eyes*
:p
Nathan Fillion... sounds like he should have a fillet steak named after him...

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I do know Swamp Ass, but I've never experienced it while gaming, even though I'm kind of a sweaty dude. Huh. Guess those cheap IKEA armchairs are even better than I thought. ^^

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
By his face of shoving a hairdryer down his pants I can tell they're not paying him enough...

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
You got to get a good chair. Getting a seat that breathes is almost as important as getting a good graphics card. :)

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I just want to know where that picture of him holding a fish like an evil mastermind on the feature page is from.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
FunKing said:
electric_warrior said:
Is this "Swamp Ass" an actual phenomenon that people are familiar with and aware of?
it sucks....never had it from gaming, but working 14-20 hour days paving roads w/ 340degree asphalt on a day thats 90 degrees+ .....i can personally say, its something that people should be aware of
I get it from work instead of gaming, too, but it mostly comes from sitting on the chairs at work for long periods of time or biking to work in hot weather. It sucks. So to this announcement, I say, "My name is Toriver, and I approve this message!"

(Even if swamp ass was completely fictitious, I'd still say it because this is too damn funny! XD)

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Jun 19, 2020
Country
United States
I load trucks for UPS, and at this time of year I get Swamp Ass really bad. Never get it from gaming, but I get the gist of it. It really, REALLY sucks, especially when you can't do anything about it.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Swamp ass sucks. It also makes you feel all self conscious and stuff. Never got it while gaming tho.

ALSO. I WILL HAVE HIS BABIES.

Macemaster

Nov 12, 2010
Nathon Fillion's Face can stay that straight, not even chuck norris' roundhouse can bend it

WonderWillard

Feb 4, 2010
You know Miracle of Sound's song, "Commander Shepard"? It should be rewritten, to say, "you'll never be better than Commander Shepard. Unless you're Nathan Fillion."

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Hmm used to get swamp ass when I wore boxers and tighty whiteys. NOW I wear boxer briefs and its magically stopped. I think Louis C.K. did a joke about this and god damn he was right. Boxer Briefs are like the cure to swamp ass (from sitting down). Doing hard work outside in the hot sun is just a recipe for swamp ass and theres almost no way to avoid it.

schiz0phren1c

Jan 17, 2008
"Gorram it Mal,accelerating into this atmos too fast has given me some serious shang foo swamp ass!,ask Enara can I borrow her hair/asscrack dryer again!"

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Vault Citizen said:
leather chairs are the worst offenders, and i've only ever seen this in summer.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Mistermixmaster said:

The fatter the ass, the more likely one is to contract swamp ass...you've never heard of swamp ass?!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I play lots of games, yet I am unaware of this 'swamp-ass'. The name sounds gross. How long until it happens?

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Swamp Ass (now it finally has a name) is a big problem and I wish he gave a genuine solution to it. And yer I do have a leather chair, maybe that's what causes it.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Swamp Balls is an even more terrible condition, one that can be developed from an extended time of living with Swamp Ass. I don't think I really have to explain what it is, and I won't for the sake of your Mental Imaging Center (ACTUAL SCIENCE TERMS).

Mistermixmaster said:
Is this seriously a thing people suffer from?
Oh, it's more than real. More real than you should ever know.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Wonderful.

Share a website with you ,

put this url in google sirch

( http://www.yessoso.com/ )

Believe you will love it.

We accept any form of payment.

Deathlisk

Feb 5, 2011
Vault Citizen said:
I have suffered from it at times, though it is actually not when gaming, but when I sit down on a drumming chair for too long. It's akin to bedsoars.
it becomes uncumfortable to sit, though sitting in a couch or something like that helps.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
....Swamp Ass? ... Please tell me that this is just a joke in the video and such a thing doesn't actually exist.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
electric_warrior said:
A phenomenon called "Swamp Ass" with this severity? Not really. The basic idea? Yea, it happens I guess. If your ass is sweating, and you sit on it for 10 hours straight, then something is bound to get wet.

And lots of kudos to him for being able to say this without starting to giggle hysterically halfway. I probably would've lasted about 10 seconds.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
This would have been rather puerile with anyone else, but then Fillion starts talking, and it's pure sex. How does he do it.