National Guard called into Minneapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Except that the "okay" gesture was widely used by white supremacists. We can find numerous examples of them using it.
They also drink water and breath air too.
Are you planning to call anyone who does that a white supremacist too?

How about cellphones they use cellphones too.

The entire troll play was to pick a well known gesture that's widely used and claim it's racist because likely some racist will be found to be making the sign and they can use it as evidence to point to and go "Look this White supremacist is using the sign clearly we're right it's a dogwhistle". The trolls then relied on fooling people to spread it which they did and for it to be picked up and uncritically reported. Which it was.

It's worth noting that there are actual white supremacist hand signs. In fact, hand signs have quite an important place in neo-Nazi culture, particularly deriving from their use in prison gangs in the US. A lot of hand signs are references to letters or numbers which are significant to neo-Nazis, such as the number 88 or the letters SS. The use of the "okay" sign as a hand sign meaning white power may have initially been "made up" on 4chan, but it is actually indistinguishable from the kind of thing actual neo-Nazis do (there was, in fact, already a white power handsign based on forming the hands into the shape of a W and a P) and was subsequently widely used by neo-Nazis as an actual handsign.
Worth pointing out isn't that the one the ADL detail as using two hands one for the W one for the P not just doing the OK sign?

Irony does not work if the supposedly ironic thing has become genuine. You cannot sit there basking in having owned the libs by convincing them white supremacists are using the okay sign as a hand sign while white supremacists are using the okay sign as a handsign. You can take credit for having invented a white supremacist handsign, but it's not exactly an achievement.

I mean, let's be real, it's not like the "trolls" who came up with that one weren't neo-Nazis anyway.
Yes and White supremacists are using Microsoft Windows, Laptops, Cars, Steel Toe Capped boots. But so are a lot of other people and the entire point of the troll move was to make people seem mad because random people who may not even be connected to white supremacists on any level are being called it for using the OK sign with no other supporting evidence at all. That's the entire evidence being used. Hell people have been jumping on people doing "The Circle Game" too because it looks a bit like the OK sign.

So because White Supremacists are using cellphones all the Cellphone providers must take credit for inventing a white supremacist communication network?

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It’s like the okay symbol. It was meant to troll libs. But then racists could see they could get away with it because the trolls pretended to be racist so they can just pretend to be trolls. So the libs got trolled, the trolls got trolled. And the racists win. Absolute genius, trolls. You lost. Stop thinking you can outplay White Supremacists. You lose every time.
I think the boundary between those internet trolls and racists/fascists is a lot thinner than a lot of those trolls may like to think.

I get the feeling that they assume that they're in control, cynically aloof, superior and independent from the people they make fun of. But I think a person must have a deep antisocial attitude to make a pastime of fucking with other people for fun, and even if by some strange chance they weren't a disaffected, malign, little shit to begin with then they will be a few years time, because the pretence will gradually turn into actuality.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Isn’t it wild we live in a country where a guy can be put in jail for two days with no charges for allegedly pointing a laser but if a cop kills someone they do paperwork for a few weeks or get paid leave while the investigation happens?

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Then why does it happen?
You know, I could try and put on my psych hat and answer that, but since this is in response to murder, I'm going to point out that not wanting something to happen doesn't stop it from happening.

No-one wants murder. No-one wants rape. No-one wants suicide. These things still happen. That's not to say that these things can't be alleviated, but framing it as wanting these things or not doesn't reflect how the real world actually operates.

I'm not even sure why this is being directed at me, when the post that was originally quoted was highlighting that police brutality is a problem. I was never disputing that.

Reactions: Ender910

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I think the boundary between those internet trolls and racists/fascists is a lot thinner than a lot of those trolls may like to think.
The Venn diagram of right-wing trolls and racists/fascists is a single circle. Anyone who isn’t aware of that after Christchurch is trying to fuck with you.
The recent history of the far right (particularly in the US) is defined by the many sons of GLR and his provocateur tactics. He was a troll. He also organized the most violent resistance to an MLK rally that ever was, by MLK’s own words. He drove a VW bus covered in Swastikas and slurs. He literally called it the hate bus. He tried to do big “free speech” rallies at colleges. He came up with the fourteen words, the white power slogan, and brought the Christian Identity Church into his movement.
All these fuckers are copying the exact shit he did. All of their bullshit memes and jokes are not memes and jokes, but obvious attempts to push the dialogue towards accepting their hateful ideology. None of this is new, be it weird hand signs, absurd slogans, or phony satire. Arguably even Hitler employed the same shit. The science behind why it works is overly complicated, but it’s undeniable that it occurs.
So yeah, the trolls and the racists are the same people. Obviously. To say otherwise is ignorance or purposeful deceit.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
You know, I could try and put on my psych hat and answer that, but since this is in response to murder, I'm going to point out that not wanting something to happen doesn't stop it from happening.

No-one wants murder. No-one wants rape. No-one wants suicide. These things still happen. That's not to say that these things can't be alleviated, but framing it as wanting these things or not doesn't reflect how the real world actually operates.

I'm not even sure why this is being directed at me, when the post that was originally quoted was highlighting that police brutality is a problem. I was never disputing that.
Given murder and rape require intent, I imagine someone wanted those things to happen.
Framed less humorously, systems that perpetuate oppression only function that way because those with the power to influence them don’t want to change them. Somebody is happy the police kill black people, or at least that the same factors that lead to them killing black people exist. There are definitely supporters of police brutality.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
They also drink water and breath air too.

Are you planning to call anyone who does that a white supremacist too?
In order for this comparison to be valid, I would need to be claiming that any person who has ever touched their thumb and forefinger together is a white supremacist. That is not what I am saying. That is not what anyone is saying. It is not what anyone has ever said. It is an entirely made up argument.

When I say "white supremacists used the okay sign", I am not saying they did so coincidentally. It's not like they had always been using that sign because it's a normal hand signal. They used the okay sign specifically because, in a certain section of the popular imagination it had taken on the meaning of white power, which is a slogan they agree with, and in order to exploit the climate of deniability. That is why you have so many photos of white supremacists at meetups and events making the okay sign together. It's why you have literal far-right terrorists like Brenton Tarrant throwing it during their trials. It is a handsign which represents things they collectively believe.

I know the alt-right likes to pretend they're the secret puppetmasters of social media capable of orchestrating these vast and elaborate psi-ops, but the reality is that they do not have the organisation or reach to pull off the kind of deception you are claiming, and if they did we should probably be more worried about it. 4chan lost control of the okay sign very, very quickly.

Worth pointing out isn't that the one the ADL detail as using two hands one for the W one for the P not just doing the OK sign?
You'll also notice that the okay sign is listed in the ADL database despite the fact it is openly acknowledged to be the product of a troll campaign, because of its subsequent use by white supremacists as a symbol to convey white supremacist solidarity and meaning.

But so are a lot of other people and the entire point of the troll move was to make people seem mad because random people who may not even be connected to white supremacists on any level are being called it for using the OK sign with no other supporting evidence at all.
I have never seen anyone publicly called out for using the okay sign who does not also have, at the very least, a substantial body of evidence suggesting they are a racist.

But then, I also fail to see why the okay sign is relevant.

Last edited:

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐

I get the feeling that they assume that they're in control, cynically aloof, superior and independent from the people they make fun of. But I think a person must have a deep antisocial attitude to make a pastime of fucking with other people for fun, and even if by some strange chance they weren't a disaffected, malign, little shit to begin with then they will be a few years time, because the pretence will gradually turn into actuality.
These are the so called 'trolls'.. He came out with his PEPE posters and 'name the jew' hate mongering BS 'just to make friends' ...

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
That is how dog whistling works.
You mean it doesn't. It doesn't work. Political dogwhistles are 100% fantasy. There is never a time or place where you can say something horrible that your supporters notice and your opponents don't. It the very nature of political opposition to infer the worst of your opponents and take the people you support at face value.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No-one is pro-police brutality
Yet, alot of this shit keeps happening. Hawki, I say this as a friend, but that statement is way too naive and ignorant. Stuff like this has been going on for a long time, and the fact the nation exploded (and other nations had similar reactions) and Floyd's death being the final nail in the coffin. All of the years prejiduce and racial profiling that went unchecked is rearing its ugly head. That is what happens when you abuse others for petty reasons, or because "it's the law" or tradition. Everyone has a breaking point

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
You mean it doesn't. It doesn't work. Political dogwhistles are 100% fantasy. There is never a time or place where you can say something horrible that your supporters notice and your opponents don't. It the very nature of political opposition to infer the worst of your opponents and take the people you support at face value.
88 Facebook Ads.
The first sentence has 14 words.
The symbol is a literal reference to Nazi concentration camps.

Moderates: "Oh no, the poor Trumpie-Wumpie made a silly boo boo."

Dog whistling absolutely works. And no, the point is not to avoid notice from your enemies. Noone in the Trump campaign team cares if people on the left see through this. It wouldn't be a very effective threat if they couldn't. All that matters is that a dog whistle does not alienate moderates, and that's very easy because moderates are cowards. They were cowards in 1933, and they're cowards today.

Last edited:

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Dog whistling absolutely works. And no, the point is not to avoid notice from your enemies. Noone in the Trump campaign team cares if people on the left see through this. It wouldn't be a very effective threat if they couldn't. All that matters is that a dog whistle does not alienate moderates, and that's very easy because moderates are cowards. They were cowards in 1933, and they're cowards today.
Nobody on the right saw this. Literally nobody.

What do you think people do with their free time? Do you think when Trump posts an ad, all the neo-nazis play "Where's Waldo" and start counting to see if there are 88 copies of it? Nobody would know that stat if the ad wasn't pulled.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
No-one is pro-police brutality.
Then how come people are justifying police violence by saying things like, "The victim was no angel?" How come it keeps happening so frequently? How come there are people making excuses for it and defending it on national television? Why is the goddamn president saying he'd like to see more police brutality? I don't give a shit what half-thought-out excuses some cop-apologist offers, they clearly aren't bothered enough by police brutality to want to do anything about it. And yes, I do consider that a moral failing.

I get it, there's nothing more terrifying to white people than to talk about issues of race. But you know what? Too bad.

No-one wants murder. No-one wants rape.
Not counting murderers and rapists?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
No-one wants murder. No-one wants rape.
Nobody wants what the described as murder or rape, as the words themselves mean a wrongdoing. Any number of people want things they don't describe as murder or rape but that others would.

Reactions: Kwak

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
You know, I was going to provide a definition of police brutality and argue why it's silly to say that people are for it, but that's just responding to semantics to more semantics. So, let's get to the interesting stuff:

Then how come people are justifying police violence by saying things like, "The victim was no angel?"
1) People are idiots

2) Victim blaming is an observed phenomenon

3) Some people are racist

4) Other

How come it keeps happening so frequently?
From my (limited) understanding?

1) The United States has a gun culture. There's more guns in the country than people (I think there's something like 1.17 guns for every person), so it means that officers are going to approach suspects with more fear than they would in, say, the UK. Which also means that officers are more likely to discharge firearms.

2) Because over at least the past two decades, there's been a steady militarization of police in the country. You can attribute this in part to the War on Terror. We can see this with the 1033 Program, with military equipment being transferred to police departments. I don't know how accurate this statement is, but I've read that this has kind of had a feedback effect. Military equipment and training has resulted in police departments operating more like a military, and a military has a different M.O. than a police force.

3) I don't know if this is correlation or causation, but with the existence of for-profit prisons, there's a vested interest in getting criminals into the system. Criminals, as they currently stand, have a high rate of re-offending (I forget the stat, I think it's something like 40%). Whatever the case, again, the US has the highest prison population on Earth per capita, despite being "stable" by the Fragile States Index.

4) Racial prejudice - this explains why, in police violence, blacks and Amerindians are overrepresented, while other groups are underrepresented

5) Poverty. As in, the groups that are overrepresented tend to be the most poor, while the groups that are richest (Asians, whites) are less likely to be shot. Points 4 and 5 reinforce each other

There's other points I can name. For instance, police departments, as I understand, operate independently from each other, so there's no unified approach to policing, but I don't know if that's really a cause or a tidbit. But I'll be bold and say that even if points 4 and 5 were solved, points 1 to 3 would ensure that the issue remains.

How come there are people making excuses for it and defending it on national television?
See the first point.

Why is the goddamn president saying he'd like to see more police brutality?
Well, Trump won't see it as police brutality, but again, semantics. But while I'm sure most of these questions are rhetorical, I'll bite:

1) Trump's racist

2) Trump's an idiot

3) "Law and order" is a common response to these events, especially from right wing governments.

4) It's an election year, reinforcing point 4.

5) See points 1 and 2 again

I get it, there's nothing more terrifying to white people than to talk about issues of race. But you know what? Too bad.
I'll let you in on a little secret. If racism stopped today, globally, I would still be absolutely terrified for the future.

And before we get into semantics again, no, I'm not trying to downplay the issue. Again, forget who said it, but to anyone who says "we can't focus on problem x because problem y is bigger," tell them that by that logic, we should be focusing on surviving the heat death of the universe (yes, I know that's not the exact quote).

Anyway, I'm tired, and this has somehow devolved into semantics, so I'll bug out. Might be for the best.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
You know, I was going to provide a definition of police brutality and argue why it's silly to say that people are for it, but that's just responding to semantics to more semantics. So, let's get to the interesting stuff:

1) People are idiots

2) Victim blaming is an observed phenomenon

3) Some people are racist

4) Other

From my (limited) understanding?

1) The United States has a gun culture. There's more guns in the country than people (I think there's something like 1.17 guns for every person), so it means that officers are going to approach suspects with more fear than they would in, say, the UK. Which also means that officers are more likely to discharge firearms.

2) Because over at least the past two decades, there's been a steady militarization of police in the country. You can attribute this in part to the War on Terror. We can see this with the 1033 Program, with military equipment being transferred to police departments. I don't know how accurate this statement is, but I've read that this has kind of had a feedback effect. Military equipment and training has resulted in police departments operating more like a military, and a military has a different M.O. than a police force.

3) I don't know if this is correlation or causation, but with the existence of for-profit prisons, there's a vested interest in getting criminals into the system. Criminals, as they currently stand, have a high rate of re-offending (I forget the stat, I think it's something like 40%). Whatever the case, again, the US has the highest prison population on Earth per capita, despite being "stable" by the Fragile States Index.

4) Racial prejudice - this explains why, in police violence, blacks and Amerindians are overrepresented, while other groups are underrepresented

5) Poverty. As in, the groups that are overrepresented tend to be the most poor, while the groups that are richest (Asians, whites) are less likely to be shot. Points 4 and 5 reinforce each other

There's other points I can name. For instance, police departments, as I understand, operate independently from each other, so there's no unified approach to policing, but I don't know if that's really a cause or a tidbit. But I'll be bold and say that even if points 4 and 5 were solved, points 1 to 3 would ensure that the issue remains.

See the first point.

Well, Trump won't see it as police brutality, but again, semantics. But while I'm sure most of these questions are rhetorical, I'll bite:

1) Trump's racist

2) Trump's an idiot

3) "Law and order" is a common response to these events, especially from right wing governments.

4) It's an election year, reinforcing point 4.

5) See points 1 and 2 again

I'll let you in on a little secret. If racism stopped today, globally, I would still be absolutely terrified for the future.

And before we get into semantics again, no, I'm not trying to downplay the issue. Again, forget who said it, but to anyone who says "we can't focus on problem x because problem y is bigger," tell them that by that logic, we should be focusing on surviving the heat death of the universe (yes, I know that's not the exact quote).

Anyway, I'm tired, and this has somehow devolved into semantics, so I'll bug out. Might be for the best.
None of this is mutually exclusive with someone thinking that it's okay for police to be violent thugs. If anything, aggression, authoritarianism and bigotry are all siblings. There are people out there who think police brutality is a good thing because in their minds, that's how you get shit done. To some people, there is no moral question to the use of violence, only practical.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Nobody on the right saw this. Literally nobody.
I'm not going to subject myself to the kind of shit I'd have to see in order to check what the far right thinks, but they did. Heck, you think whoever was responsible for this isn't already telling them about it?

Nobody would know that stat if the ad wasn't pulled.
Then why was the ad pulled in the first place?

You don't need to know the stat at all. All you need to know is basic information about Nazi atrocities. I knew about concentration camp badges already, for example. The language of the tweet itself is pretty thinly veiled and, if it weren't entirely normal language for the Trump presidency, would count as a dog whistle. So yes. Once you know the kind of person you're dealing with, it's pretty reasonable to check for other symbolism. The internet, collectively, can do this kind of thing very fast, and if we can do it fast, so can our counterparts, assuming again that the people responsible haven't already told them.

Like, if you think this is subtle or complicated, or that noone would pick up on this, then that actually reflects rather badly on you.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
In order for this comparison to be valid, I would need to be claiming that any person who has ever touched their thumb and forefinger together is a white supremacist. That is not what I am saying. That is not what anyone is saying. It is not what anyone has ever said. It is an entirely made up argument.

When I say "white supremacists used the okay sign", I am not saying they did so coincidentally. It's not like they had always been using that sign because it's a normal hand signal. They used the okay sign specifically because, in a certain section of the popular imagination it had taken on the meaning of white power, which is a slogan they agree with, and in order to exploit the climate of deniability. That is why you have so many photos of white supremacists at meetups and events making the okay sign together. It's why you have literal far-right terrorists like Brenton Tarrant throwing it during their trials. It is a handsign which represents things they collectively believe.
Is this going to be a case where I ask how people know they're white supremacists and the reply is they met republican members of government and made the OK sign which is proof white supremacists are using the OK sign to mean something else, creating an argument based on circular reasoning?

I know the alt-right likes to pretend they're the secret puppetmasters of social media capable of orchestrating these vast and elaborate psi-ops, but the reality is that they do not have the organisation or reach to pull off the kind of deception you are claiming, and if they did we should probably be more worried about it. 4chan lost control of the okay sign very, very quickly.
So far in recent times.
4chan pulled off the OK sign thing
4chan got at least one publication to write about the Trans Freebleeding movement
They convinced PETA to go on about how drinking milk means you're a white supremacist
Hell it's been suggested the recent Blackout day was literally the work of 4chan trolls because they knew rioters and looters were using social media to get information about police movements from activists and shutting that down for a day shut down information lines.

There isn't any puppet mastery required anymore as I pointed out all some-one had to do was shop a girls top to make it seem like she supported Trump and post it online through a sockpuppet account and sit back and watch the madness.

That's dropping a tiny spec of blood into the social media shark tank and watching the feeding frenzy ensue.

You'll also notice that the okay sign is listed in the ADL database despite the fact it is openly acknowledged to be the product of a troll campaign, because of its subsequent use by white supremacists as a symbol to convey white supremacist solidarity and meaning.
And yet the problem seemingly is or will be people jumping on others for using it with 0 other evidence against them.

I have never seen anyone publicly called out for using the okay sign who does not also have, at the very least, a substantial body of evidence suggesting they are a racist.

But then, I also fail to see why the okay sign is relevant.
Yes, I think it was the westpoint solider found making the sign. There was also a graduation class where people made the sign too.

Status
Not open for further replies.