National Guard called into Minneapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
You mean it doesn't. It doesn't work. Political dogwhistles are 100% fantasy. There is never a time or place where you can say something horrible that your supporters notice and your opponents don't. It the very nature of political opposition to infer the worst of your opponents and take the people you support at face value.
I think the real trick with dog whistles is not that the opponents don't notice, but that lots of less politically aware people don't notice. And just in case it does blow up, the plausible deniablity.

Reactions: Hades

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I think the real trick with dog whistles is not that the opponents don't notice, but that lots of less politically aware people don't notice. And just in case it does blow up, the plausible deniablity.
Ok, but why would anyone do that? If the goal is getting people to vote for you, what sense is there is appealing to a secret fringe minority with the risk of it blowing up in the New York Times? Is that good political strategy? And if it is, why is it only Republican strategy? Does that make sense that one side consistently tries to make coded appeals to a small group of people and the left wing media always manages to catch it and make it a headline? Or does it make more sense to think the dogwhistles didn't actually exist, and were thought up to attack Republicans?

You say there's plausible deniability built in, but like, the idea that Reagan campaigned at a historical campaigning grounds because it was close to where someone was lynched once is in the history books, everyone thinks I'm delusional when I insist the Southern Strategy didn't happen. You'd have to believe every Republican to ever run for a major office is a complete imbecile to keep "dogwhistling" when it blows up and sticks every single time.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Ok, but why would anyone do that? If the goal is getting people to vote for you, what sense is there is appealing to a secret fringe minority with the risk of it blowing up in the New York Times? Is that good political strategy? And if it is, why is it only Republican strategy? Does that make sense that one side consistently tries to make coded appeals to a small group of people and the left wing media always manages to catch it and make it a headline? Or does it make more sense to think the dogwhistles didn't actually exist, and were thought up to attack Republicans?

You say there's plausible deniability built in, but like, the idea that Reagan campaigned at a historical campaigning grounds because it was close to where someone was lynched once is in the history books, everyone thinks I'm delusional when I insist the Southern Strategy didn't happen. You'd have to believe every Republican to ever run for a major office is a complete imbecile to keep "dogwhistling" when it blows up and sticks every single time.
That so called "fringe minority" was also who was responsible for getting Trump elected. They were his early supporters when the mainstream didn't take him seriously. They threw the full force of their bot networks and trolling in support of him and without it, trump would have never made it to the primaries in the first place. Trump took that " fringe" mainstream, thus it is no longer " fringe".

I have no idea how you could remotely believe the southern Strategy "didn't happen" it makes me wonder how you could be oblivious to it if you have ever spoken to the general public in the south. You don't even need to leave your house, even the door to door salesmen here can't stop themselves from making unsolicited racists jokes before you can get the door shut on them.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Well part of the open up protests (not entirely far right groups as far as I'm aware just quite a few) getting covered was the lack of news really at the time. I mean lockdown was being enforced. Though apparently that narrative has changed somewhat since then public sentiment wise when it's a different group doing it (arguably for better reason) but still it was a spark event as such not the fire itself.

Also not counter protesting would just be a show people don't think they're worth counter protesting that they're just idiots and they can't frame counter protesters are threatening them or any other such propaganda material
Or, alternatively, not counter-protesting would give the impression that people don't care enough to oppose it.

You said you scrambled to avoid being trampled so it worked
Worked at accomplishing what? I wasn't doing anything violent; I wasn't anywhere near the line of police. It "worked" at... making me scramble to get to safety? That was the aim?

I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point. I was there, and you weren't; you don't actually seem to have any grasp of what happened, and nor do you seem to even be giving it much thought or attention. This is a kneejerk argument.

That's kettling for you.
What's your point?

Nor does random no named person with no position in any local church or church council.
What's your point? So many of these retorts are just... directionless statements. They don't lead to any conclusion, don't support or counter any argument.

Doesn't matter there is still structure there and the ability to refute.
What, you believe a figure from one Protestant organisation has the ability to refute something said by someone in an unaffiliated Protestant organisation? Or something said by someone who's of Protestant faith but entirely unaffiliated?

No, they don't.

And when the group itself has no credentials in it's structure how is the person speaking judged on their credentials then?
They're not.

Never underestimate peoples idiocy
I asked you a question. Do you genuinely believe that happened? That a significant number of people turned out, failed to notice the overwhelming presence of swastikas, KKK flags and anti-Semitic chants, and marched alongside them, unaware it was going on?

Do you believe that this is a more likely possibility than... it just being a white supremacist rally, as it was organised to be?

You're making enormous leaps of assumption, without a shred of evidence to back it up, and you're doing so seemingly just to make a tweet from the President look better.

Pretty much. If there is no out for them. If you can't see them as humans lead astray and aren't willing to change hearts and minds the only option to "Win" vs them is bullets through the hearts and minds, which is what they keep claiming people are trying to do and want so you'd be kind of playing into their hands.
I never advocated "bullets". I never once advocated violence. I never indicated an unwillingness to "change hearts and minds". You're making some massive, baseless, pretty gross assumptions about me right here.

All I'm doing is recognising the nature of the march. It was what it was organised to be. It was designed, from the very start and by the intent of its founders, to be a neo-Nazi and white supremacist event. I am recognising that.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Is this going to be a case where I ask how people know they're white supremacists and the reply is they met republican members of government and made the OK sign which is proof white supremacists are using the OK sign to mean something else, creating an argument based on circular reasoning?
DlQg_rQVAAUXwAM.jpg 1592626919329.png
GettyImages_830755836.0.jpg Tarrant.jpg

The forum doesn't seem to like it when I resize images, so I had to manually edit these. I could keep going, but that's probably enough to make the point for now.

4chan pulled off the OK sign thing
Again, it seems like they lost control of that one quite quickly.

But again, let's not delude ourselves, that was always the intent.

4chan got at least one publication to write about the Trans Freebleeding movement
Never heard of it.

Looked it up. Sounds pretty wholesome. Also, many publications seem to have written about it.

They convinced PETA to go on about how drinking milk means you're a white supremacist
No, they didn't. That's actually an example of 4chan getting busted for being white supremacists.

Milky.jpg

The New York Times ran an article in September 2017 about how white supremacists misuse data about human genetics to perpetuate scientific racism. One very real genetic difference between different human populations is lactose tolerance, which is rare on most of the planet but common in Europe and thus in European settler countries. White Supremacists seized on this idea and were already using it in rhetoric and propaganda.

Several follow up articles (although not the PETA one) cited a /pol/ thread called "enter the milk zone", it's not some super secret psi ops operation. It's a sincere example of exactly what the New York Times article would talk about a few days later.

1592627366338.png

PETAs article was not the result of secret 4chan meddling, it was PETA getting in on what was already a media event to push their own pro-vegan stance. The New York Times article's reference on milk primarily comes from a university lecturer who had gathered information on this trend as an example of scientific misuse to teach in a class, 4chan is not mentioned at all.

This is not a troll. I know it sounds like a troll because it's so ridiculous, but it's not. It's just that white supremacy is ridiculous. /Pol/ got caught out doing something white supremacists had already been doing for some time, and tried to spin it as "kek the libs think milk is nazi" by using PETA as a soft target.

When I say that these "trolls" and white supremacists are the same people, that is a very literal statement.

There isn't any puppet mastery required anymore as I pointed out all some-one had to do was shop a girls top to make it seem like she supported Trump and post it online through a sockpuppet account and sit back and watch the madness.
The original letter never mentions Trump, and talks about the meme "mocking [her] disability".

I think you're the one who has been played in this elaborate right-wing conspiracy.

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
View attachment 305 View attachment 307
View attachment 308 View attachment 309

The forum doesn't seem to like it when I resize images, so I had to manually edit these. I could keep going, but that's probably enough to make the point for now.
You know what's a they likely see as a great way to get people on their side?

To get people to go after others and ostracise others for the OK sign then the White Supremacists get nice supply of disenfranchised people with no-one else to turn to and can pretend to be all buddy buddy with them to recruit them. Playing on the perceived ostracism

But again, let's not delude ourselves, that was always the intent.
Yes cause 4chan people love chaos.

Never heard of it.

Looked it up. Sounds pretty wholesome. Also, many publications seem to have written about it.
Yes encouraging people not to use sanitary products and let the blood run down their legs instead............. wholesome.........../s

No, they didn't. That's actually an example of 4chan getting busted for being white supremacists.

View attachment 311

The New York Times ran an article in September 2017 about how white supremacists misuse data about human genetics to perpetuate scientific racism. One very real genetic difference between different human populations is lactose tolerance, which is rare on most of the planet but common in Europe and thus in European settler countries. White Supremacists seized on this idea and were already using it in rhetoric and propaganda.

Several follow up articles (although not the PETA one) cited a /pol/ thread called "enter the milk zone", it's not some super secret psi ops operation. It's a sincere example of exactly what the New York Times article would talk about a few days later.

View attachment 310

PETAs article was not the result of secret 4chan meddling, it was PETA getting in on what was already a media event to push their own pro-vegan stance. The New York Times article's reference on milk primarily comes from a university lecturer who had gathered information on this trend as an example of scientific misuse to teach in a class, 4chan is not mentioned at all.

This is not a troll. I know it sounds like a troll because it's so ridiculous, but it's not. It's just that white supremacy is ridiculous. /Pol/ got caught out doing something white supremacists had already been doing for some time, and tried to spin it as "kek the libs think milk is nazi" by using PETA as a soft target.

When I say that these "trolls" and white supremacists are the same people, that is a very literal statement.
HE Will Not Divide us (the art project thing those pictures are from Started on the 20th of January 2017) before that thread on 4chan.

Fun thing the first use of the claim that Milk was a sign of white supremacy was mentioned by a troll who came known to be "The Milky Bar Kid"

According to the Internet Historians video he appeared around about day 6 or just after so that would be the 26th of January.

Time code 4:19 if you need it.

Generally that would mean the thing had been rolling round on 4chan a lot longer than that

The original letter never mentions Trump, and talks about the meme "mocking [her] disability".

I think you're the one who has been played in this elaborate right-wing conspiracy.

literally the first two paragraphs of the article said:
Emily Morison, 24, woke up last week to messages from friends about one of her photos which had been edited to include a pro-Trump message she didn't write.

The comments included telling her to "wheel herself off a cliff", and another encouraging murder, she said.
Weird how she suddenly gets hate messages just after her photos were edited and reported to include pro-Trump messages isn't it?

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
To get people to go after others and ostracise others for the OK sign then the White Supremacists get nice supply of disenfranchised people with no-one else to turn to and can pretend to be all buddy buddy with them to recruit them. Playing on the perceived ostracism
One of those people is on trial for 51 counts of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder and a terrorism charge. I don't think he's looking for friends, except maybe friends who will prevent him getting shanked in prison.

Yes cause 4chan people love chaos.
They also love white people.

Yes encouraging people not to use sanitary products and let the blood run down their legs instead.
I'm beginning to think that, despite me just discovering this, you already know less about this than I do.

I don't know if you've ever encountered menstrual blood (insert obligatory joke about 4 chan being full of virgins) but for most people it's not exactly the elevator scene from the Shining. Most people, outside the heaviest days of their period, can probably get by just by changing underwear a few times a day. There is also underwear that is specifically designed for free bleeding, and which can typically absorb far more than a tampon can and can be used during excercise, for example. Most people free bleed because they are environmentally conscious of the waste produced by discarded sanitary products.

What you're talking about is free bleeding as a statement or protest., which has been done both by cis women and AFAB trans people, and which is a little different because the purpose is specifically to be visible. Periods are an entirely normal feature of human bodies, and unless you're touching or ingesting someone else's menstrual blood (and who hasn't done that - oh wait, 4 chan) there's really no risk or consequence to anyone. Raising awareness of the fact that some trans men and NB people do menstruate is wholesome, and rather than "encouraging" people to free bleed, the point is typically to make people aware that these people need access to sanitary products and safe bathroom facilities.

Generally that would mean the thing had been rolling round on 4chan a lot longer than that
You know, that first picture I posted of the guy drinking milk with the Sonnenrad tattoo. That's from the HWNDI exhibit.

Again, even if we assume this is the first time lactose has gone up in white supremacist rhetoric (which it isn't, but I can't be assed to demonstrate it). You cannot pretend what you are doing is ironic when the ironic thing in question is immediately done by people who do not see it as ironic.. If your "troll" is "ha ha I have owned the libs by making them think milk is a Nazi thing" and then, literally days later, a group of Nazis show up and start chugging milk while screaming racist shit, then your troll has failed.

This is what I mean. 4chan is not capable of coordinating these things. They're not capable of carrying out these kinds of public deceptions without neo-Nazis (who again, are literally the same people) taking it seriously. They're also not capable of coming up with shit that is more stupid than the shit White Supremacists already believe and do. That is why this is not really irony, it's not really trolling or satire, it's just white supremacists pretending to laugh at themselves but not really.

Weird how she suddenly gets hate messages just after her photos were edited and reported to include pro-Trump messages isn't it?
What do these pro-Trump messages say?

Reactions: Revnak

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Ok, but why would anyone do that? If the goal is getting people to vote for you, what sense is there is appealing to a secret fringe minority with the risk of it blowing up in the New York Times? Is that good political strategy?
Firstly, they're not appealing to a "secret fringe minority", they're appealing to a set of key voters that are identified as important to win over. Secondly, it's designed to not go down that badly with plausible deniability.

You'd have to believe every Republican to ever run for a major office is a complete imbecile to keep "dogwhistling" when it blows up and sticks every single time.
It "blows up" in the sense people notice and noisily point it out - it doesn't necessarily hurt someone's electoral chances if they do. Plausible deniability is powerful because anyone who wants to give the benefit of the doubt will do so, and that then still leaves lots of other people who don't notice even if there's a front page NYT spread.

Take the Trump-Ukraine issue. We should surely now be past the point where we can seriously deny that Trump tried to abuse the government for personal electoral gain. But even as the evidence mounted up, how many people fought tooth and nail to deny it? How many still do deny it? How little has it cost him: 1-2% in approval rating, and probably less in terms of national vote? And that's a solid example of substantial misconduct, never mind a mere coded reference.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Also this happened. I think the US is gonna have UN observers at protests and elections. I also think Trump is going to try to pull funding over it. In any case, hilarious.
Edit: Also, I highly recommend you read the replies to posts by the UN because they are fucking hilarious. Man, never seen so many people who love Apartheid South Africa so much.

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
One of those people is on trial for 51 counts of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder and a terrorism charge. I don't think he's looking for friends, except maybe friends who will prevent him getting shanked in prison.
They're not looking for actual friends. They're looking for recruits to their cause. The dude is on trail for 51 counts of murder and 40 counts of attempted murder. Clearly he is warped enough in the head to do anything for his stupid cause. So no shit he'd try to further stigmatise the use of a commonly used symbol to get other people attacked and create more alienated who are being ostracised and vulnerable for other White supremacist group to try and recruit.

They also love white people.
And Black people. Anyone as long as they're happy to join in causing chaos.

I'm beginning to think that, despite me just discovering this, you already know less about this than I do.

I don't know if you've ever encountered menstrual blood (insert obligatory joke about 4 chan being full of virgins) but for most people it's not exactly the elevator scene from the Shining. Most people, outside the heaviest days of their period, can probably get by just by changing underwear a few times a day. There is also underwear that is specifically designed for free bleeding, and which can typically absorb far more than a tampon can and can be used during excercise, for example. Most people free bleed because they are environmentally conscious of the waste produced by discarded sanitary products.

What you're talking about is free bleeding as a statement or protest., which has been done both by cis women and AFAB trans people, and which is a little different because the purpose is specifically to be visible. Periods are an entirely normal feature of human bodies, and unless you're touching or ingesting someone else's menstrual blood (and who hasn't done that - oh wait, 4 chan) there's really no risk or consequence to anyone. Raising awareness of the fact that some trans men and NB people do menstruate is wholesome, and rather than "encouraging" people to free bleed, the point is typically to make people aware that these people need access to sanitary products and safe bathroom facilities.

4chan have been trying to make freebleeding a thing for a while

"Wikipedia" said:
The movement started in the 1970s as a reaction to toxic shock syndrome, a rare and sometimes fatal condition that can be caused when bacteria grow in tampons worn to absorb menstrual bleeding.[1] It regained popularity in 2014 as a result of a prank originating in the internet site 4chan. [2]
So yes it did exist pre-4chan but you can blame most modern incarnations and talk about it on 4chan.

You know, that first picture I posted of the guy drinking milk with the Sonnenrad tattoo. That's from the HWNDI exhibit.
After the Milky Bar Kid actually lol it was a set up and follow through most likely by Pol.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Again, even if we assume this is the first time lactose has gone up in white supremacist rhetoric (which it isn't, but I can't be assed to demonstrate it). You cannot pretend what you are doing is ironic when the ironic thing in question is immediately done by people who do not see it as ironic.. If your "troll" is "ha ha I have owned the libs by making them think milk is a Nazi thing" and then, literally days later, a group of Nazis show up and start chugging milk while screaming racist shit, then your troll has failed.
just wait until the 4chan "Getting the Coronoavirus vaccine means you're a White supremacist" prank starts lol.

They're likely not doing it unironically. They likely know it's stupid. The thing is when they do it gullible idiots then claim it totally is one of their new secret signs and suddenly anyone drinking milk in public is being accused and because some people are morons they don't need any more evidence than the person being white and drinking milk to go after them.

This is what I mean. 4chan is not capable of coordinating these things. They're not capable of carrying out these kinds of public deceptions without neo-Nazis (who again, are literally the same people) taking it seriously. They're also not capable of coming up with shit that is more stupid than the shit White Supremacists already believe and do. That is why this is not really irony, it's not really trolling or satire, it's just white supremacists pretending to laugh at themselves but not really.
4chan found a flag in the middle of no-where based on a webcam pointing at the sky, audio of frog noises and a Waitresses's twitter account.

If you believe certain publications online it's 4chan who got Donald Trump Elected.

They're also credited for doing good one in a while like tracking down the Bikelock bandit and finding the identity of a woman who dropped a cat into a dustbin.

What do these pro-Trump messages say?

The article doesn't say at a guess probably editing the message on her top in the picture they showed to say "I support Trump" or knowing 4chan "They see me rolling they hatin Trump 2020"

Had to split in 2 as the system wasn't happy with it as 1 full post

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
That statue was no angel.
You know the funnier bit.

All this is doing is hiding away history so Woke people no longer end up triggered remembering the terrible stuff their ancestors did.

Nor do they have to remember the Jim Crow era when said statues were put up.

Funny really, the whole "They're historical so they belong in a museum" but also "people need to be educated on their history" argument. Do they think the people who most need educating on said statues and said bits of history are the ones likely regularly going to dusty out of the way museums?

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
The dude is on trail for 51 counts of murder and 40 counts of attempted murder. Clearly he is warped enough in the head to do anything for his stupid cause. So no shit he'd try to further stigmatise the use of a commonly used symbol to get other people attacked and create more alienated who are being ostracised and vulnerable for other White supremacist group to try and recruit.
Yeah, I don't care. He's forfeited the right to irony.

If you want to be alienated and vulnerable, try being queer, or trans, or a person of colour. If being told to stop making a handsign because of its use by white supremacists was enough to drive you into the arms of neo-Nazi, then you were always going to end up there.

4chan have been trying to make freebleeding a thing for a while
Freebleeding is a thing. I don't see what 4chan has to do with it.

You seem to have real issues understanding this very important point about irony, which is that things stop being ironic once people take them seriously.

After the Milky Bar Kid actually lol it was a set up and follow through most likely by Pol.
So, where is the irony?

They're likely not doing it unironically.
Where is the irony?

The thing is when they do it gullible idiots then claim it totally is one of their new secret signs and suddenly anyone drinking milk in public is being accused and because some people are morons they don't need any more evidence than the person being white and drinking milk to go after them.
Wow, it sounds like those people are really owning white supremacists by doing stupid things without any irony.

Also, who are these people? Name one.

The article doesn't say at a guess probably editing the message on her top in the picture they showed to say "I support Trump" or knowing 4chan "They see me rolling they hatin Trump 2020"
Why do you think this is 4chan? There's a thread over on /pol/ with people trying (and failing) to find the original meme.

Also, the letter literally names the person responsible.

All this is doing is hiding away history so Woke people no longer end up triggered remembering the terrible stuff their ancestors did.
Speaking as a historian. Trying to learn the history of marginalised people from looking at statues put up to glorify the people who oppressed them is the most hilariously misguided effort I can possibly imagine.

Read a book.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Also this happened. I think the US is gonna have UN observers at protests and elections.
Seriously doubt it, but it should have for quite a while. Even at the best of times white supremacists would lurk around election places to scare black people away (and not to mention the official voter suppression stuff).

Palindromemordnilap

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
You know the funnier bit.

Nor do they have to remember the Jim Crow era when said statues were put up.

Funny really, the whole "They're historical so they belong in a museum" but also "people need to be educated on their history" argument. Do they think the people who most need educating on said statues and said bits of history are the ones likely regularly going to dusty out of the way museums?
Oh god this argument again. Alright here we go:
This guy right here is the Emperor Claudius. Or his head rather, originally supposed to attached to be a life sized bronze statue of him. The head was found in a river running through Colchester, the Roman capital of Britain right up until it was sacked by Boudicca during her revolt. Incidentally its around that time the head, which appears to have been torn from its body rather than weathered off, was deposited in the river. In case the clues haven't connected for you yet, thats a bunch of oppressed people marching on the capital of their oppressors, seeing a statue of the guy who originally kickstarted the oppression and ripping that fucker down to throw his head in the nearest body of water they could find. I'm really hoping the parallels haven't escaped you there. You will notice that this statue being demolished hasn't done anything to stop us learning about Claudius. Or Boudicca. Or Colchester. Or the Roman invasions. Or literally anything. Because statues are not history. Statues are merely monuments to an individual that, if anything, do more to erase history than their destruction will, since all a standing statue does is declare "hey, this guy was great!" without ever delving into what may have not been so great about them. You will notice this is why we don't have statues of, say, serial killer Dr. Howard Shipman. Nobody says then "Oh it will be to commemorate all the doctoring he did when not murdering his own patients" or "Oh it will serve as a reminder of past mistakes and the changes that had to be made" because when you really get down to it everybody knows a statue of him would be saying "Hey lets honour how great we clearly thought this murderous lunatic was."
So if you say "No we must preserve these statues to preserve history!" you are just flat out wrong. You're not trying to preserve history, history will be fine. You're just trying to preserve the status quo. Learn the difference

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Fucking, the only reason I or anyone else know a damn page worth of valuable history is either because we took the time out of our lives to find it, or we had a high-school teacher who gave a damn. I knew about the Tulsa Race riots before seeing them referenced on HBO because my English teacher gave a fuck about teaching a bunch of dumb white kids about racism. I learned about the history of Native Americans in my region of the country because I had a (politically incomprehensible) history teacher who gave a damn about the subject. I learned nothing about that from statues, though I can name several monuments along the Oregon trail. Sadly, they didn’t explain the consequences to natives or anyone else when I saw those. They just existed there with a plaque.
The history written in statues and monuments is solely the history of victors, and it is solely their narrative being told. Because southern whites with those statues made a century after the conflict in question are telling the story of their victory over black America. The story of their superiority, their nobility, their honor, and their domination of the blacks through violence. It is a fiendish and false history told in a deceptive and worthless way. In removing it, we make room for a more accurate telling of these stories, hopefully in full and by people more interested in truth than connecting themselves to some glorious heritage.

In short, fuck the false gods of white America, they’re all shit and I piss on their graves.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Appealing to smaller parts of the electorate isn't a wasted effort, especially if those efforts are designed not to alienate the more mainstream sections of the electorate. That's the point of a dog whistle. Those that are attracted to it will notice, those that would never in a million years vote for you will notice and everyone else gets enough wriggle room to convince themselves that a line wasn't crossed. And if people make a big fuss about it then the poor populist can claim he didn't realize those connotations existed, that he was willfully taken out of contest or honestly didn't mean it that way.

And appealing to a smaller part of the electorate can work very well. In most European countries the majority of citizens aren't in favor of blowing up the EU, but this large group must be split between over a dozen of different parties. Meanwhile the populist can claim the anti EU vote all for themselves without having to share it with different parties. Now political racists or those with a phobia towards the establishment are a far smaller part of the electorate than Eurosceptics but the general principle applies. They would never, not in a million years vote for the Democrats and they aren't much beholden to real Republicans either. Its a group just waiting to be scooped up by any ''outsider''. If you go out of your way to court this group while deceiving a lot of conventional voters that you aren't doing so then you could craft yourself quite a large coalition of voters.

Status
Not open for further replies.