Natural talent(s) you have.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
shootthebandit said:
Dead Century said:
Insects. I keep bees and I'm pretty decent at managing my hives. I also raise praying mantises.
This is really off topic but ive always heard myths about bees reacting to cigarette smoke is that true?
Bees react to pretty much any smoke. I use dried alfalfa cubes in my smoker.

When the guard bees detect an intruder they release a pheromone into the air. This alerts the other bees to attack and protect the hive. When the bees are smoked, however, the process of releasing the pheromone is interrupted and thus no bees get the alert that the hive is at risk.

Smoke also has the effect of making the bees eat the honey in the event that they will have to move and rebuild the hive due to fire. The consumption of honey makes the bees subdued and less aggressive.

ChanTheNoob

Dec 6, 2011
I guess I'm good at bullshitting in tests. I don't really study but I seem still somehow get straight A results. Or maybe that's just because I'm Asian xD

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Slightly useless, but I have a talent for language, I can't learn them really quick, but after I've encountered a language, I can almost always recognize another instance of that language. Not understand them, I can just hear someone speaking Dutch and after that I can almost always tell when someone's speaking Dutch, for example. Again slightly useless because I'm not think this actually helps when it comes to learning a language.

I've also been told that I am really with pronunciation, whenever I meet someone with a difficult name they usually point out that I'm one of few people who always gets their name right, same with a lot of those enormous technical terms that no one other then me cares about. That's a tad more useful I think.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
I don't have any real talents. But then again, I'm extremely critical towards anything and everything I do, so even if I was a natural at anything I'd probably wouldn't see it.
Possibly I have a way to think up high concepts and reason around things, but since that stuff is all subjective anyway and rarely executed upon I don't think it counts.

shootthebandit said:
Example: everyone was going on about that kony thing last year. As soon as i heard of it my bullshit detector started tingling and everyone was saying "you are a horrible human bla bla bla, how can you hate this campaign its to help african kids". As soon as we found out the organiser of this campaign was a fraudster and a public masturbator everyone was signing my praise
I find it amusing that you claim to have a good bullshit detector, yet didn't detect the bullshit of people calling the Kony campaign a fraud, or one persons mental breakdown to be relevant in a project made by an entire organization. :)

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
chikusho said:
I don't have any real talents. But then again, I'm extremely critical towards anything and everything I do, so even if I was a natural at anything I'd probably wouldn't see it.
Possibly I have a way to think up high concepts and reason around things, but since that stuff is all subjective anyway and rarely executed upon I don't think it counts.

shootthebandit said:
Example: everyone was going on about that kony thing last year. As soon as i heard of it my bullshit detector started tingling and everyone was saying "you are a horrible human bla bla bla, how can you hate this campaign its to help african kids". As soon as we found out the organiser of this campaign was a fraudster and a public masturbator everyone was signing my praise
I find it amusing that you claim to have a good bullshit detector, yet didn't detect the bullshit of people calling the Kony campaign a fraud, or one persons mental breakdown to be relevant in a project made by an entire organization. :)
The whole campaign was bullshit.

Granted kony was a terrible man but the video and campaign achieved nothing except making people on facebook feel self important for liking a video and the campaign was in itself a fraud

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
I'm an excellent writer, though that has its drawbacks in that while what I write is pretty good, I'm never happy with it and consider pretty much nothing I've ever written to be a final product due to my inability to be satisfied with my work. Its like the second I think I have something finished and It get turned in (I'm mostly writing essays and such for classes) I immediately see things that I want to change or ways that I could better state my argument.

Not sure if these counts, but I have immense natural strength, to the point where I don't have to work out to be stronger than most normal people. I also build muscle very quickly. Also I can go for weeks on end with very little sleep(an average of 2 or three hours a night is normal for me when I have classes).

One final "talent" is that I make acquaintances very easy. I do have serious issues making close friends, but in spite of my rather anti social nature, people seem to be drawn to my personality.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
I can soak in knowledge of something I enjoy like a sponge (didn't help for school as you may guess)

For some TV series or games, I am a walking encyclopedia, complete with tips and tricks, as well as detailed explanations of lore and all that jazz.
This for video games, I can still tell you exactly how to breed a golden chocobo in FF7.

I also pick up software instantly, give me 5 mins to screw around with any new software and will have it doing things long time users never knew it could.

Assembling things.

Anything extremely technical and problem solving really.

And my imagination is very over developed to the point I can sit around daydreaming an entire day away.

Double A said:
I've always considered myself to be a masterful breather.
I am rather shit at this, I breath so heavy/loud because I never feel as though I'm taking in enough air. I'm also bad at eating.

Sleeping and drinking on the other hand I have covered.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
I am very good at mathematics. I'm pretty shit at reading people unless I've known them for years. Everything else, it varies but I can usually get by. But Maths is the one thing I'm > 2 standard deviations above the mean.

Kind of annoying really, maths skill is super useful (and profitable) but I wish I had talents that where interesting. People tend to be far more impressed if you can play an instrument than if you can do a Fourier transform. Especially at uni where all my friends can also do Fourier transforms anyway.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
No real natural talents. Everything I'm good at I had to work for (aside from my ravishing good looks, of course). I'm a solid artist though, and I'm okay with telling stories. I guess I have some aptitude for the medical field as well. I'd also say I'm pretty good at learning things through sheer persistence.

e033x

Sep 13, 2010
Gotta have to go with a general musical ability. Might not reach entirely to a professional level when playing my instrument (comparing myself to my fellow cconservarory students), but in music theory, aural training, conducting, and general knowledge and natural ability with music, i am pretty good. Also a fast learner.

The downside is i am pretty bad at extreme precision, which is why my playing instruments suffer.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
ClockworkPenguin said:
I am very good at mathematics. I'm pretty shit at reading people unless I've known them for years. Everything else, it varies but I can usually get by. But Maths is the one thing I'm > 2 standard deviations above the mean.

Kind of annoying really, maths skill is super useful (and profitable) but I wish I had talents that where interesting. People tend to be far more impressed if you can play an instrument than if you can do a Fourier transform. Especially at uni where all my friends can also do Fourier transforms anyway.
Hey man, teach me math and I'll teach you how to draw (and no, I didn't draw my profile picture, I'm a bit better than that haha).

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Drawing probably, mainly because when people ask me how and I have to tell them I don't know. How do you breathe? Same thing to me. Tangentially related I can envision something quite clearly in my head, to that I don't even have to put pen to paper (pen to screen?) to tell whether a design'll look good or not. My old Graphic's teacher didn't like that as I had to show off my work process for my Folio's.

Also I can bullshit my way out of a paper bag, don't know if that's a talent or an indicator that I'm a sociopath.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
shootthebandit said:
Granted kony was a terrible man but the video and campaign achieved nothing except making people on facebook feel self important for liking a video and the campaign was in itself a fraud
You're right. It achieved nothing. Aside from making hundreds of millions of people in the world care about and discuss war crimes, raise over 10 million to fund the continued struggle against LRA atrocities as well as start additional relief programs and help push through an act of congress that sent US troops to help and advice in the war effort to end the LRA.

You know, the things that charity campaigns are supposed to do.
Quite successfully I might add.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm good at writing in an academic setting. I write my papers quickly, and efficiently, and the topics I pick are always unique and actually interesting for my professors to read. My professors have also told me that my writing has a very strong voice, and that voice says "if you don't believe what I've written here then you're an idiot."

Apparently I'm also very good at faking confidence. I'm actually a rather shy person, and I don't like interacting with people, but whenever I have to do so people always think that I'm really outgoing and sociable, which I always think is rather strange.

The last thing I'm really good at is time management. I know exactly how long anything will take me to do, and exactly how long I can procrastinate to the minute, and still get my work done.

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
I am good at finding "sweet spots", primarily with electronic devices but also moving easily through crowds (Matrix-style).
A friend once described as me seeing the right "lines".

An example of the electronic aspect comes from the days of analogue television. For those who don't remember then a tv aerial moves in 3-axis and often varied between channels. BBC 1 and 2 were the same but channels 3, 4 and 5 were different with 5 being especially bad.
My friends had been sat one lazy sunday afternoon and were trying to watch time team. I had had a long saturday night and emerged hungover and moved to the kitchen where I made a cup of tea and went in to join them.
Seeing the grainy reception as I passed I turned the base a couple degrees and the picture got temporarily worse to the cries of frustration from my housemates.
But then I stepped back and took my seat and the picture became crystal clear.

There are other aspects to this talent but I'll keep them to myself here.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
thesilentman said:
I have a goddamn good memory. I remember events from my childhood that my family has trouble remembering. That may just be age, but when I can remember events from when I was 3 years old, I'm not so sure.
Same here, I remember like, EVERYTHING from about two years old on. Really inane things, like noting that the cat came up to my chest in height and being shorter than the kitchen table and playing with my friends to FREAKING OUT at Niagara Falls, FREAKING OUT on a hot air balloon, and FREAKING out when my mom left me for two minutes at the beach with my dad to buy umbrellas and I ended up getting lost for half a day. I think I spent most of my early life freaking out, now that I think of it. Over the past decade, something that helped my long-term memory be even better is all the stupid Mario pictures I drew of like Bowser with manboobs. Whenever I go back and look at my deviantart gallery, I can remember everything about the day I made it, and what was going on in that part of my life. It's weird.

The only other thing that I sort of consider a talent, that I was actually born with and didn't have to practice for a million hours at is perfect pitch. Granted, I started piano lessons at six and that might have played a part, but I do find it coincidental that I always played with these colored alphabet magnets as a toddler, and every time I hear a note, I sense a color, and that color matches up to the color of the corresponding letter on the magnet. Maybe the magnets were radioactive too, who knows.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
I have absolute spatial memory and understanding. I can memorize blueprint of buildings if I can see every room and corner of the building - then draw it on paper with extremely small margin for an error.
I have absolute color vision ( I been tested 3x 200 shades of every color it is a test that takes fucking ages btw...)
I have synesthesia that gives me extreme ability to visualize sound and environment it is in. Gives a nice edge in games that support 3D sound environments. Other than that... Me'h...

I got obsessive behavior towards learning and understand music, I hoard instruments, sheet music, musical information... Anything... My worst obsession are the instrument tho, my apartment is filled to the brim with common and uncommon musical instruments. It is getting rather insane, when I have antique piano, electric organ from 80's, electric piano/midi device. A cello, Contrabass, Tuba, French horn, bass quitar, collection of assorted woodwinds that I am in progress of fixing.

None of these talents are much use to me atm... I am sure I'll find some use for them during my life but other than that no....

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I'm pretty good at English, I used to write a lot but don't any more for a few reasons.
I'm kinda good at baking/cooking too. There's people who are much better than me and I need to improve but everyone likes my cakes and food.
Don't know if it's a talent but I'm great with advice and making people feel better.