Navy Developing Cyber-Attack Weaponry

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Navy Developing Cyber-Attack Weaponry

All your electronics will belong to the U.S. military once it completes its new line of cyber-attack weaponry.

If there's one thing I've learned from watching Battlestar Galactica, it's that networked systems are vulnerable to cyber-attack, which is why I've un-networked all of my systems as of last year. It appears I did so it right on time, as the Navy is developing an airborne electronic attack system that seems remarkably similar to what allowed the planet of Caprica to be destroyed by the Cylons.

In BSG, humanity's space fleet was disabled by a Cylon cyber-attack that left it completely defenseless, and it was summarily destroyed save for a small fraction of ships. As detailed in an article on Military.com [http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,212940,00.html], the U.S. Navy wants a similar system in place by 2018. It would be "a weapon system that can deliver cyber-effects through free space into an aperture."

I don't know about everybody else, but I have no desire for cyber-effects to be delivered into any of my apertures. The cyber-attack system is being designed for a fighter-size aircraft such as a UAV. It would emit "data beams ... packed with specialized waveforms and algorithms that work like keys to open networks."

The article gets quite complicated and details the various development hurdles and possibilities. Another reason the cyber-attack system sounds like Cylon-inspired technology, if I'm reading the article right, is because some of its behavior is expected to be automated. I hope none of you have networked systems out there. The end is near!

(Via: Slashdot [http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/04/03/053240/Navy-Wants-Cyber-Weapons-That-Shoot-Data-Beams])

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Dammit, when I read the title I immediately imagined something like WH40k's Cyber-Mastiff.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/INQ28/CyberMastiffFinal.jpg

Now I'm disappointed. :(

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Looks neat. Where can I get one?
/joke

I'm wondering what the probability of something like this being able to hack into a network that is has no remote capability whatsoever

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
I realize this is raining on your parade a bit, but they already have wayyy more destructive methods of dealing with electronics: an EMP.

That said, this seems like a WIFI broadcast point setup to an UAV that's simply uploading viruses... it's probably way more complex, but at the end of the day a really good hacker could probably accomplish the same.

... Or an EMP.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Sure networked computer are vulnerable, but how am I supposed to track the position of the Colonial fleet?

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
So in other words the US Navy has created a first generation Cylon raider.... awesome! So when can we expect to see our men and women flying Vipers into combat then?

Love the picture of "Scar" by the way.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Sure networked computer are vulnerable, but how am I supposed to track the position of the Colonial fleet?
That's what the skinjobs are for dude, just remember to stock up on nukes for when you strike at the fleet.

Twixley

Evil penguin
Nov 30, 2009
Do the military have EMPs yet though? I mean, I know they exist in labs, but I haven't heard of one actually successfully weaponized yet, despite what the movies try to tell you.
A nuclear blast creates one of course, but then you're not gonna worry about your iPod frying, are you.

zf6hellion

Dec 24, 2009
Meh... I stopped being impressed by advanced weaponry when I read about the Japanese Airforce trying to duplicate the Funnel system from the Gundam Metaseries.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Kajin said:
Looks neat. Where can I get one?
/joke

I'm wondering what the probability of something like this being able to hack into a network that is has no remote capability whatsoever
0%.

It's simply not possible to interface wirelessly with a system that has no wireless networking capability. It would only work against Wi-Fi'd systems.

And even then, it would likely only work for a few days, then someone would find a better/sufficiently different encryption and render it useless.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
wow

The Pentagon's dream of skynet comes closer and closer to fruition! lol

Now, anyone is free to disagree with me on this, but I must insist on not being flamed as not being patriotic to the US. This is impossible. I am not a US citizen.
Ok, disclaimer out of the way.

What is the bloody point of this project??
There are currently two major wars (or "conflicts" if you prefer) being fought in the middle east, primarily against very low tech, traditionally armed insurgents who generally don't communicate or structure themselves via encrypted channels, command nets, wifi, or generally have many computers. While the levels of technical expertise vary hugely, especially depending on local cells/ militia resources and which theatre of operations under discussion... I can't help but think that this money should be going somewhere else.

Technology has not provided the sufficient edge on the battlefields of Afghanistan that was assumed in 2001. Nor has it enabled the US military to claim what can be credibly called victory in Iraq. Violence in Iraq abated for myriad reasons, the major ones being
1) a total reversal in attitudes towards the local population,
2)holding dozens of small bases in urban areas rather than concentrating in fortified bases (the 'Take and hold' tactic), and
3)the decision by many militia groups and insurgents of Sunni extraction to either cease cooperation with Al Qaeda and join Awakening Councils; stop fighting the US and start protecting their own areas.

Modern war has plenty of scope for technological advances, and I realise the importance of cyber warfare and guarding against it. The cyber attacks on google originating from China are cause for concern. However, this should surely not be a concern for the US military at this juncture.
I also surmise that the Navy, to use a hackneyed phrase, wants to get back into the game. Apart from providing much needed fire support, transport capability, supply, and the occasional (secret) deployment of the Naval Special Warfare group (aka Seal Team 6), there really hasn't been a whole lot of action involving classic Naval warfare.

I have serious reservations about this project's feasibility in the current conflicts that should be the major focus of the US military.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Mate, just sign up 4chan to the navy. They'll do a much better job [sub]Target not guaranteed to be the enemy. Results may vary[/sub]

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
SnipErlite said:
Mate, just sign up 4chan to the navy. They'll do a much better job [sub]Target not guaranteed to be the enemy. Results may vary[/sub]
Lol!
Exactly! Hire "industry experts" :p

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
"data beams ... packed with specialized waveforms and algorithms that work like keys to open networks."

So what? are they going to spam the enemy with JPEGs of Goatse?