NBC Cancels Community

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
NBC Cancels Community

Cult sitcom to end one season (and a movie) shy of goal

NBC's Community built a rabid cult following out of a strong cast, a penchant for offbeat geek-culture reference [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1RAC_i1wtc] meta scifi/fantasy digressions and strong writing to back it up; but it never quite made it to mainstream success. Now it seems the plug has been pulled for good, with the network declining to renew the series for a sixth season today.

The series began as the story of a disgraced lawyer ostensibly running a study group at disreputable Greendale Community College, but quickly spiraled off into a strange hybrid of conventional sitcom and reality-bending satire. Certain episodes transform into large-scale genre parodies, characters display fourth wall breaking abilities and almost all events - no matter how bizarre - are presumed to have actually happened (one way or another); up to an including full-scale paintball wars, secret conspiracies and potential alternate-realities. Series creator Dan Harmon (forced out of Season 4 but returning for Season 5) cultivated a strong fan culture, and turned his stated goal of "six seasons and a movie" into a major fandom catchphrase.

Community had faced the prospect of cancellation for each of it's five seasons, making it one of the shows most often mentioned as having potential for a Netflix/Hulu/etc revival a'la Arrested Development or fan-funded movie like Veronica Mars, but no announcements have been made regarding such at this time.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/community-cancelled-nbc/]

BraveSirRobin

Mar 17, 2010
Well it would seem that they were unable to stop the meteor after all. Honestly though, I think this season really suffered from the shortened length and the loss of two major cast members. Only having 13 episodes basically ended up having them cut out all the actual episodes about the college. As fun as the ride was, without the grounded episodes all of the crazy ones just feel too disjointed. At least we get a cannon ending though.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Shame when a good show gets cancelled. Really talented cast and I hope they all keep being in things and making me laugh.

That being said, I feel that Community should've ended naturally after the 4th season. Since college is only four years, the 5th season felt really contrived. I guess that was partially a result of Harmon getting pushed out for Season 4, and then wanting to have him back for a "proper" season. But since I feel like comedy shows tend to run out of steam around the fourth season, and Community had a natural place it could've stopped, it would've been best if we got four Harmon seasons and a proper ending.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
It's okay guys we still have the Big Bang Theory....
Yea I'm gonna go walk out a window now #darkesttimeline

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Welp, I'm not surprised, NBC seems to be unable to recognize how to let a good thing 'finish' properly. Like how they didn't keep Scrubs for its final season, an awesome and well written show, while the last season (What's Scrubs Med School?) ended up on ABC and did a very solid job wrapping everything up neat and tight. Hopefully there will be a quick turn around on someone to pick it up for the final season and if not... Well then I guess they couldn't stop that asteroid from hitting the earth.

#darkesttimeline

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I can't say I'm sad over this. I loved this series, but after season two it started to stink up the place like a dead rat.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Tsk, just when the show was picking up steam again. It still wasn't what it was before, but I think it deserved its 'six seasons and a movie.'

I really liked how they continued Abed's story after Troy left, for instance. They really took the opportunity to develop him somewhat. I appreciated that. Though I must say I didn't see the last few episodes, so I don't know how well they continued that.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Really they cancelled it after Season 3 when the network caved to Chevy Chase and got rid of showrunner Dan Harmon. Season 4 knocked a lot of regular viewers off the show and Season 5 wasn't really powerful enough to get those eyeballs back.

kii

May 16, 2013
Community may have had some rough spots the last seasons, but they always managed to deliver, at least for me.
Maybe we're lucky and someone else picks them up.

arsenalabu

Iron Maiden's backup Trombonist
May 26, 2011
Well, I stopped watching after the end of Season 3, so I didn't help its ratings in any way.
Not having seen Season 4, I can't say what effect Dan Harmon's removal had on the show, but with the way the third season went, I don't know if all the blame should be put on the studio who removed him. The entire Chang storyline from after he was fired totally killed any enthusiasm I had left for the show, and Harmon was there for that.

I just hope the same thing doesn't happen to Rick and Morty.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Veldie said:
God damnit why end one of the best and most funny shows on TV.
Because, unfortunately, the goal of a TV network is to make money, and that means that they need shows that get high ratings. And as good as Community was, it didn't have a whole lot of viewers left, which meant that they didn't make much money off of the advertising.

I hate that it's being cancelled, but I can't blame NBC for doing it. They gave the show plenty of chances already, and it's not unreasonable for them to finally give up on it at this point.

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *gasp* OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I'm really going to miss this show. Even during it's rough spots it was still funny and some of the smartest comedy on TV. I remember seeing something about Dan Harmon being open, if a bit skeptical, about turning the show into a Hulu or Netflix-based web series. So fingers crossed, I guess.

Six seasons and a movie, people. Six seasons and a movie.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Community is dead... long live Rick and Morty! RICK AND MORTY FOREVER AND FOREVER A HUNDRED YEARS Rick and Morty... Me and Rick and Morty runnin' around and... Rick and Morty time... a- all day long forever... all a - a hundred days Rick and Morty! Forever a hundred times... OVER and over Rick and Morty... adventures dot com... W-W-W dot at Rick and Morty dot com w... w... w... Rick and Morty adventures... ah - hundred years... every minute Rick and Morty dot com.... w-w-w a hundred times... Rick and Morty dot com...

<youtube=9Gtc4DHYvc0>

(Pssst. It's made by Dan Harmon. You should watch it.)

Shodan1980

Mar 29, 2010
So what does NBC have left? Parks and Rec? I frigging love that show but it's declined a bit recently and even at it's best it's not a lot of good comedy output. NBC have totally Britta-ed it (never had to type that, looks bloody weird). This definitely is the Darkest Timeline

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Well, I guess all life was obliterated by a meteor. And that's cannon.

Yeah, as much as that sucks, the guy above me is right: Rick and Morty will be a more than acceptable replacement show.