Need some comedy Anime to improve my mood...

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Howdy all...

I've been feeling out of sorts lately and I could use some laugh packed animation to brighten my mood. I'd prefer something in the "full on comedy" genre rather than something that is also funny like Trigun, Samurai Champloo or Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Personal Favorites
Ouran Highschool Host Club
Martian Successor Nadesico
The Slayers
Full Metal Panic: Ffomoffu?!

So... anyone got anything for me?

Captcha: Out of Sorts! How did it know?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
"Welcome to the NHK"

It's an anime about a guy who develops really heavy anxiety issues and becomes a "hikikomori," a person who withdraws from society.
Not only is it hilarious, it'll make you feel a lot better about your own life in comparison to the protagonist of the anime.

"Arakawa Under the Bridge"

Personally, I love this anime, and I think that it's hilarious, but it's has kind of a weird sense of humor that isn't for everyone. I personally enjoy it, and so do a few of my friends, but I don't think it's something that a lot of "westerners" will understand.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Watch the English dub of Ghost Stories. It's a gag dub, and it's hysterical. And, if you can stand VERY profane humor, Panty and Stocking Plus Garterbelt is funny.

And I second the vote for Welcome to the NHK.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Irresponsible Captain Tylor....honestly I just can't hype this show enough.

Any City Hunter movie.

Lupin Movies which aren't *technically* comedies, but tend to be *very* amusing.

Project A-ko.

Really *really* old school--Urusei Yatsura, the Return of Lum.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
School Rumble
Azumanga Daioh
Detroit Metal City (best if you also like death/black metal)

And I don't think it'll be a popular choice but I liked K-ON. Yeah, I know, nothing happens in it but it's a fun, cutesy way to turn off your brain and watch something.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
If you're looking for something current, I'd suggest Muromi-San on the Shore (Namiuchigiwa No Muromi-San). It's still running new episodes, and I think it's pretty damn entertaining.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:
"Welcome to the NHK"

It's an anime about a guy who develops really heavy anxiety issues and becomes a "hikikomori," a person who withdraws from society.
Not only is it hilarious, it'll make you feel a lot better about your own life in comparison to the protagonist of the anime.
I dunno... might end up feeling too sorry for the main character to laugh at it, I know what it's like to lose control of your anxiety and neurosis... though that might also make it a better watch knowing what the characters are going through.

omegaweopon

Aug 25, 2009
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi!

This is a show about a boy and a girl who end up getting super dimension hopped, through a parody of damn near every form of entertainment to mankind.

Bruce Lee jokes? Got 'em.
RPG references? There.
Super swearing @#$%ing Elvis? You got it.

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. For when you just don't want the world to make sense anymore.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Nichijou is probably the funniest anime I know of. If my word isn't enough to convince you just watch this clip.

Warning: This anime may cause dying of laughter.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Lucky Star
There is little plot to speak of, just pure comedy. Has about a million anime references, and is hilarious regardless of whether or not you catch them.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
I've got some old ones you could look at, but considering you liked Slayers you might like these two.

Excel Saga
it paradies alot of other animes and is in general a batshit insane funny anime
Ranma 1/2
It is the prolly one of the funniest gender bender/harem animes out there.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
PedroSteckecilo said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
"Welcome to the NHK"

I dunno... might end up feeling too sorry for the main character to laugh at it, I know what it's like to lose control of your anxiety and neurosis... though that might also make it a better watch knowing what the characters are going through.
Well, you do feel sorry for the character, but that's why so much of the comedy works so well. Trust me, watch it. I have yet to meet a single person who watched it and didn't like it.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Squid Girl.
It's all you need.

But, if you really want more.
Midori No Hibi
Polar Bear Café

I haven't seen Polar Bear Café but it looks good and it's on my list.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Tentai Senshi Sunred

A really funny spin on power rangers/kamen raider type shows

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Seconding Nichijou. 'S fucking good.

Hipster recommendation is Needless, a show nobody but me even mentions in any anime thread on this site. It wasn't even obscure... You people and your lack of taste.

It's a battle anime with super powers (shock horror) but it had so much style and a great sense of humour, even during the battle scenes. EVERYTHING was over the top and ridiculously awesome.

Like when when main character goes on a vengeance fueled rampage

"This one's for me!"

*punch*

"This one's for Eve!"

*punch*

*soft tap on the arm*

"AND THAT ONE WAS FOR YAMADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

By the way, the English dub was god awful, stay away.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Golden Boy
Azumanga Daioh
School Rumble
Urusei Yatsura

Also check out Stink Bomb from the compilation film Memories.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
I have the following words for you.

Hataraku Maou-sama.

Seek it out. I'd just link you, but I'm pretty sure that's against the rules whether or not the anime is licensed outside of asia.

PS: The first four minutes are nothing like the rest of the series.

Ace O'Hagen

May 28, 2013
Because no one has mentioned this yet: Cromartie High School

It has no plot, it has no structure, it has no sense ... but it does have Freddie!!

it is one of the funniest things around. It's quite like Excel Saga that's been mentioned already, except more random

NoeL

May 14, 2011
It's been mentioned before but you can't go past Ranma 1/2. I love that show... plus it has boobs.