Need some comedy Anime to improve my mood...

Keymik

Oct 18, 2008
Daily lives of highschool boys.

This anime made me fall out of my chair laughing. It's that funny.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Ace O said:
Because no one has mentioned this yet: Cromartie High School

It has no plot, it has no structure, it has no sense ... but it does have Freddie!!

it is one of the funniest things around. It's quite like Excel Saga that's been mentioned already, except more random
I had a feeling someone would beat me to it, but that's okay.

Yeah, I totally recommend Cromartie High School

To name a few of the other things besides Freddie you will see in this show

A robot with an incredibly soothing voice (and his little brother)

A gorilla who wears a watch

An episode that ONLY features the gorilla working at a sushi restaurant to repair the bond between father and child

Dancing Mohawk

Men in animal costumes who swear at each other

...why are you still reading this? Go watch Cromartie High School!

EDIT: Oh, and lemme recommend a few others

1. Sgt. Frog, specifically in English. I only saw one person here mention it, but I want to give it some credit. I ended up being really surprised at how much I liked this show (I'm not a big anime guy) but if you like 4th wall humor and fairly clever pop culture references ("I'll be Sherlock Holmes, and you can all be my Jude Laws" or "Is it normal for people to die on spring break?" "On CSI, totally.") this is a show I recommend.

2. Katekyo Hitman Reborn. This one is kinda weird because it really does start out as a wacky comedy, but it does eventually become a slightly more serious show with some interesting fight scenes in it. But really the first few seasons are mostly comedy if you wanna check it out. Only thing is, this show (as far as I know) isn't available in English. I dunno if that's a deal breaker for you, or I dunno if you prefer it because of that. Whatever works.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
Clannad is a hilarious slice of life anime, especially the second season(After Story).

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Howdy all...

I've been feeling out of sorts lately and I could use some laugh packed animation to brighten my mood. I'd prefer something in the "full on comedy" genre rather than something that is also funny like Trigun, Samurai Champloo or Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Personal Favorites
Ouran Highschool Host Club
Martian Successor Nadesico
The Slayers
Full Metal Panic: Ffomoffu?!

So... anyone got anything for me?

Captcha: Out of Sorts! How did it know?
DUDE!!! GINTAMA!!!!!!!!

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
PedroSteckecilo said:
Fappy said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Fappy said:
Does Jojo's Bizarre Adventure count? It's pretty fucking hilarious despite being action-oriented.
Would you say it's Slayers/Nadesico funny or like Full Metal Alchemist/Trigun/Cowboy Bebop funny?

Essentially while Slayers and Nadesico had serious moments I would call them Comedy Series's overall whereas FMA/Trigun/Cowboy Bebop were "more serious" series's that happen to also be quite funny.
I would call it Gurren Lagann funny if I had to compare it to another anime. It really is the perfect blend of action and comedy with the "serious" moments invoking more humor than anything else (even deaths of important good guys).
I dunno where shows like Gurren Lagann fit on my comedy o' meter... I guess I'd primarily class Gurren Lagaan in with things like FMA or Trigun since most of the second half of the series is fairly serious... in an over the top action mecha kind of way... not really a "pure comedy" as in the end it has a 50/50 mix of Comedy/Action-Drama rather than being slanted more towards comedy.

FLCL is something I've always considered more about the surrealism than the comedy... but I guess it's a comedy... hard to class it as anything else...

But yeah, I've seen Gurren Lagann, FLCL and definitely want to stay away from "long form" shows like Naruto or One Piece which spend more time drawn out melodramatic battles than making jokes, for the record I do enjoy those shows when they're funny... but generally I don't consider them Comedies because of how much time they devote to FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT and character melodrama.

Gone Rampant said:
Oh dude, you should so check out Madoka Magica! Funniest thing this side of the moon, trust me.
I see what you did thar... nice try but I'm familiar with what Madoka Magica really is.

I love jojo's bizarre adventure, but quick warning, the 2012 version does not start out on a happy note. At all. So if you need comedy, don't start with episode 1 of 2012. I haven't past 10 episodes of the new series yet, but so far I'm preferring the older series. the first few episodes might seem really boring, so it might not be a terrible idea to skip a few of those. I've eternally turned off my friends by showing them the first episode of both the older and newer series. So while I would recommend, use care.

For more straight up comedy 'cromartie high' probably tops my list. (My entire anime club loved that one.)

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Darknacht said:
Clannad is a hilarious slice of life anime, especially the second season(After Story).
Assuming I haven't done my research eh, all I've ever heard about Clannad is that it's super sad.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
PedroSteckecilo said:
Darknacht said:
Assuming I haven't done my research eh, all I've ever heard about Clannad is that it's super sad.
Well, the way it goes is every arc of the show starts out really happy with a comedic overtone for the first 2 episodes or so, and then gets progressively more depressing with each episode until you want to kill yourself, then the arc ends (after about 6 episodes) and goes back to being funny for a few episodes.

So parts of it definitely could be classified as a comedy.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Darknacht said:
Well, the way it goes is every arc of the show starts out really happy with a comedic overtone for the first 2 episodes or so, and then gets progressively more depressing with each episode until you want to kill yourself, then the arc ends (after about 6 episodes) and goes back to being funny for a few episodes.

So parts of it definitely could be classified as a comedy.
Nothing says comedy like
Dead Children!

Seriously... messed up...

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Baka and Test is funny in the really stupid funny kinda way. Some drama gets thrown in every couple of episodes, but otherwise it is really funny. It's really good if you just need some stress relieve.

krugerrand123

Apr 6, 2010
I will echo all of those who suggested Polar bear cafe, Baka and test, lucky star, squid girl, excel saga, Nichijou, Midori days, Azumanga Daioh, Arakawa under the bridge, and Cromartie high school, as those really are some of the best comedy animes I have seen, But I will add in one more, Humanity has declined. Despite the depressing title, this one is also hilarious, with many weird elements, like the bleeding bread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42u4ytkzAWw

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
Baka and Test
Binbougami Gaa!
Cromartie High School
Sgt. Frog
Panty And Stocking with Garterbelt
Rosario Vampire
Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Darknacht said:
Its that too, its hilarious, super sad, and heart warming. I find the combination perfect for when you feel out of sorts.

IDS3Remix

Jun 10, 2011
Since nobody mentioned it, Yondemasu Yo Azazel San is a pretty decent comedy anime to check out, if you don't mind crude humor. Has the occasional poop joke here and there, but it's overall been pretty good, and recently started it's second season. Also, the episodes clock in at about 10 minutes, not counting the opening and ending, so if you don't like it, at least you're not wasting too much time.

http://youtu.be/kDra71-1cKg

Something else worth checking out, if you're familiar with Fate/Stay, or the Tsukihime/Melty Blood series, is Carnival Phantasm, which takes characters from both series, and puts them together for a bunch of really random sketches. It helps to be familiar with the characters, but it's not required.

http://youtu.be/Q0GC7MZUCr4