Need some comedy Anime to improve my mood...

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
mitchell271 said:
Detroit Metal City (best if you also like death/black metal)
Oh yes. Oh yes. Oh yes yes yes.

As for my recommendations, though:
Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei [http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/sayonara-zetsubou-sensei-online] is a comedy, and I like it a lot. But it's kind of dark comedy, I guess? The main character, for instance, is grossly suicidal and attempts it regularly. So I dunno if that's up your alley right now.

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt [http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/panty-stocking-garterbelt-online] is pretty funny too, but it's not a pure comedy.

I remember Nyan Koi! [http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/nyan-koi-online] and Rosario + Vampire [http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/rosario-vampire-english-dubbed-online-free] being good for a laugh, but they're also part romance.

There's also Saint Onii-san/Saint Young Men [http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/saint-onii-san-online], though there's only one episode out right now.

Finally, I watched the first episode of Gon [http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/gon-online] the other day, which is absolutely adorable and lighthearted. It's totally a kids' show, but it still split my sides a couple of times.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
triggrhappy94 said:
Squid Girl.
It's all you need.

But, if you really want more.
Midori No Hibi
Polar Bear Café

I haven't seen Polar Bear Café but it looks good and it's on my list.
I highly reccommend Polar Bear Cafe! While it is an comedy anime but it's also a slice of life anime too which I find it quite reaxing to watch.
Bare in mind however that the main comedy aspect is making Japanese puns but it didn't put me off from watching more of it!

gamergal126

Mar 28, 2008
Sgt. Frog is funny.
Then there's Axis Powers Hetalia which is also funny and (slightly) educational. The characters are nations and they all follow at least a few stereotypes. First try the subs. The accents they use for the dubs are terrible, but that was intentional. And the episodes are only 5 minutes long.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
what about "Baguman"?
It's not really a comedy anime, more slice of life, but it's very upbeat and optimistic, with enough laughs around and quite inspiring to watch.
It's about two high school stdents who decide to become manga artists, and the series depicts their ordeals, social life, parental expectations, life goals and professional field, I actually learned a lot about the manga industry through it.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Azumanga Daioh - Seinfeld with high school girls
Cromartie High School - impossible to describe
Ranma 1/2 - it's Ranma 1/2
Rune Soldier - Louie punch

SeriusWill

Nov 23, 2011
I would recomend GTO ( Great teacher Onizuka) For beign the funniest slice of life anime i have ever seen and with the best main lead plus its a inspirational school story that is not about doing ur best in school rather then being a good person. (wich is unique for anime and japanese tv)
And the "monogatari" (bakemonogatari,gatomonogatari etc,etc series for having the strongest cast of characters in any anime i have ever seen. And even if it isnt primarily a comedy anime theres bits that actualy made me laugh harder then any anime i have ever seen.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
I'll definitely put Welcome to the NHK on the list... sounds interesting...
It's an awesome anime, I'll tell you that, but it's also depressing as fuck when you take the time to think over it. Don't watch it when you're feeling down, it's hilarious, but the humour is pretty dark.

My recommendations:
Hayate The Combat butler.
YuriYuru
Love Hina
Aiura
Yuyushiki
Yeah, these are all silly light hearted series and among them I would say I prefer Hayate The Combat Butler and Aiura (Aiura has 4 minute episodes that starts getting good around episode 3 or 4)
My TeenRomantic Comedy SNAFU. Little more serious than the others, but it's about to become my favourite.

All of these series can be streamed through Crunchyroll (I can give you a gift pass for premium membership if you want it) which is a legal source of anime.

ShipofFools

Apr 21, 2013
Does it really have to be anime? I mean, when in a bad mood, I aint too picky about what cheers me up, and I don't think you should be either.

What I'm trying to say is... well, look. You really, really like anime, right? It's kind of a part of who you are, yeah? And it has a tendency to make you feel better about the world.
I have the same thing with old B-movie epics. They always get me through bad times. But not exclusively. And sometimes I just needed something else to make me feel better, and I only realised it once I saw that something else.

Try Jason and the Argonauts, that one always hits the spot. Epic swords and sandals fantasy, with really cool monsters and stuff.
If it has to be a comedy, why not something incredibly absurd, like Airplane! or the Police Squad series? They'll help you get your mind of things.

I wish I could actually point you to a very good, very funny anime that can help you, but I don't really watch that stuff, so that is why I tried something else.

Hope you feel better soon.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
In my opinion One Piece and Fairy Tale are quite humorous and because there is a lot of episodes you get mere laughs! Others will no doubt disagree with me though.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Gintama. Arguably the funniest show I have ever seen in my life. The first10-15 episodes are fillers, and I remember watching the first 4 and thinking it was a load of crap. I subsequently went back to it again and I loved it. It breaks the fourth wall constantly.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
My favorite comedic anime are ROMCOMs which can turn some people off honestly but if you're up for it then I would recommend...

Love Hina, Rosario + Vampire and, Demon King Daimao.

As for comedy that isn't centered around romance...

Puni Puni Poemi, GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) and, Detroit Metal City.

Out of everything though I would say Detroit Metal City is my favorite. It's like a Japanese Metalocalypse only grounded in reality.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Pani Poni Dash,it throws shout outs and references in the background with reckless abandon while also parodying school anime tropes to the max.Mostly ones involving unconventional teachers.

Hidamari Sketch,still to me the best example of cute girls do cute things sub genre.

Joshiraku is in the same boat and is reaaly funny for the insane logic trains the girls tend to jump on

Di Mahou Touge:A parody of the magical girl genre that is gut-bustingly funny.It's never mean spirited about the genre and has one of my favorite jokes of all time

Iteasecats

Sep 18, 2012
I'd recommend The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, it's a light- hearted and comedic slice of life anime. It's about a group of high school kids who have to stop Haruhi from becoming bored otherwise THE WORLD WILL END!!!

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Damn, most of my choices are taken.

I guess I'll just have to go with... Mars of Destruction!

If that doesn't put a smile on your face I don't know what will.

Either that or Inferno Cop.

Plasmadamage

Jul 24, 2012
DSK- said:
Gintama. Arguably the funniest show I have ever seen in my life. The first10-15 episodes are fillers, and I remember watching the first 4 and thinking it was a load of crap. I subsequently went back to it again and I loved it. It breaks the fourth wall constantly.

Seconded

I love Gintama. It's gotten to the point where they break the 4th wall so often that they can use popularity polls and their own impeding cancellation as plot devices, and there is no limit to the number of clichés that they rip off.

And in the OP's case, a single episode can lighten even the darkest of moods. Particularly anything with Kondo in it. Or Katsura, or Elizabeth. Or Sakamoto, or Hijikata. Or literally any other character.

Plus, season 3's opening had some of the best anime music I've ever heard. Observe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gz1R9tPWJU

Kikyoo

Apr 16, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8z4ICdh2Bw short little series, but it will melt your brain.... NSFW

Call me Baz

Nov 26, 2011
Plus one to Nichijou, I developed a cough from laughter at the shrine incident bit, literally lasted about 2 days.

I lost it at various other points, I had to take a week break to find it again once.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
Darks63 said:
Excel Saga
it paradies alot of other animes and is in general a batshit insane funny anime
I second this, I've only seen a few episodes but they were awesome and I've been meaning to watch more.

I'll add bobobo-bo bo-bobo to the list. It's pretty weird but so good. He has superpowered hair and even fights with his nose hair at one stage

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Aaaannnnddddd no mention of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei? Shame Escapist, shame! :-D

It's a darkly funny anime about a teacher who's in despair and is suicidal. He ends up meeting the most positive girl ever, as in she finds positivity in murder. Yeah? It's that kind of series. Way too damn funny. x-D