Neon Genesis Evangelion

rayen020

May 20, 2009
i look forward to evangelion fans meticulously listing every bad thing Gendo's Dad did.

Also still want a giant robot.

ShaqLevick

Jul 14, 2009
Oh my god, exactly! I didn't get it either... That kid was just so ungrateful I stopped watching!

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
... I just now realized. Granted, the guy is still one of the most massive pricks in the universe if you look at everything else he did, but... shit.

Shinji's an ungrateful, whiny *****.

... btw, I'd honestly accept that offer if it only offered Rei, mainly because I <3 Rei over Asuka and Misato.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
I can give you the exact reason why this makes sense... because Shinji is a complete toolbox that's lethally uncomfortable around women. This is the kid that was such a watery male that he literally turned into a puddle for an entire episode.

Besides, isn't this an anime trope from way back? The Chaste Hero? The Clueless Chick Magnet?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Grey Carter said:
I'm just saying that by any sane metric, Gendo Ikari is the best dad in the universe.
All that abandoning you for years, using you as a pawn in my schemes, and never treating you like a son. Forcing you to constantly hang around two beautiful women who will never sleep with you and a 'robot' I treat more like my own child than you, that TOTALLY makes up for it right?
Well during the obligatory mental breakdowns coming thick and fast towards the end of the series, one of the aforementioned hot girls almost did sleep with him, and the other was a tsundere for him but Shinji was too wrapped up in his own issues to notice... yet was fantasizing about her anyway.

Quiotu said:
Besides, isn't this an anime trope from way back? The Chaste Hero? The Clueless Chick Magnet?
No, no, Shinji is just a shrinking violet [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShrinkingViolet] on the recieving end of a trauma conga line [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TraumaCongaLine].

tobi the good boy

Dec 16, 2007
DVS BSTrD said:
This can't be an Neon Genesis Evangelion comic.
THE ENDING MADE PERFECT SENSE!
Grey Carter said:
I'm just saying that by any sane metric, Gendo Ikari is the best dad in the universe.
All that abandoning you for years, using you as a pawn in my schemes, and never treating you like a son. Forcing you to constantly hang around two beautiful women who will never sleep with you and a 'robot' I treat more like my own child than you, that TOTALLY makes up for it right?
Eh, man up and take what you can get? I can see why you'd be pissed but... smoken babes and alien god robot!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I think that in the end, Gendo really ended up caring more about his daughter, Lizzie. [http://lparchive.org/Princess-Maker-2/Update%202/]
Slightly more OT: Always wanted to watch this, but then I heard that the protagonist has a wank over some girl in a coma.
Nope.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
rayen020 said:
i look forward to evangelion fans meticulously listing every bad thing Gendo's Dad did.

If my Dad gave me a giant robot and three super hot chicks to live with he could get away with just about anything.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Yeah, that's Evangelion if you leave out

aaaall the character relationships, personalities and psychological issues.

Just those little things, y'know. That little "Deconstruction" thing the show had going on.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
DVS BSTrD said:
Grey Carter said:
You left out who the robot was made out of, and likewise who the "super submissive chick" was engineered from -- because that makes him even more of a dick.

tobi the good boy

Dec 16, 2007
Schadrach said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Grey Carter said:
You left out who the robot was made out of, and likewise who the "super submissive chick" was engineered from -- because that makes him even more of a dick.
So he get the chance to be bangin' the robot to...? I'm not seeing the problem? If daddy abandoned him for so long, he should have moved on and then proceeded to reap the rewards!

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
The only logical conclusion as to why Shinji would run away would be if he could foresee the future.

I'd imagine that if anyone could see in the future that, MAJOR SPOILERS HERE, they will pilot a giant robot made from their mom's soul, they will nearly be molested by the hot 30 something with extreme daddy issues, they will find out that the red head they pine for actually becomes a manic depressive who's also a clinger, and that they will grope the submissive chick who later turns out to be their genetic mother, they'd probably high-tail it as well.

But as it stands Shinji can't see the future, he's just an ungrateful bastard who happens to unintentionally try to dodge the bullet.

PlasticLion

Nov 21, 2009
I really don't like NGE at all. Every episode was just another monster of the day and how they kill it. "THERMAL EXPANSION!!" lol. Shinji was just really whiny and the ending made no sense at all.

That said, even I know that this comic is quite exaggerated.

TechTim

Apr 15, 2011
Ickorus said:
rayen020 said:

If my Dad gave me a giant robot and three super hot chicks to live with he could get away with just about anything.
yeah feeling about the same: son i know i haven't always been there for you and will probably be a prick forever but here's a giant robot and some hot babes