Neon Genesis Evangelion

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Can't they just FINISH THE SHOW and not keep trying to "end" it with new movies?

Reminds me of the mocked-up arcade game someone did for the show where every button was "whine".

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Could it be that videogame players, being that, cannot accept the main character on screen not doing what they want? I mean, it could explain a lot of things.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
xdiesp said:
Could it be that videogame players, being that, cannot accept the main character on screen not doing what they want? I mean, it could explain a lot of things.
Referring to the comments or the comic? In either case, some people just can't seem to take a joke.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
To be honest, I still think the new movies are a MASSIVE improvement over the old show. Now we have characters acting like real people, and the world around them at least somewhat reacting to their actions. It all just seems a bit more "plausible" now (not the mecha action stuff, that works by the rule of cool, but the character development as a whole). Admittedly, though, 2.0 was the best in that regard. The entire water purification plant scene including Rei actually behaving like a human being made me smile all the way through.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Monsterfurby said:
To be honest, I still think the new movies are a MASSIVE improvement over the old show. Now we have characters acting like real people, and the world around them at least somewhat reacting to their actions. It all just seems a bit more "plausible" now (not the mecha action stuff, that works by the rule of cool, but the character development as a whole). Admittedly, though, 2.0 was the best in that regard. The entire water purification plant scene including Rei actually behaving like a human being made me smile all the way through.
3.0 is going to break your fucking heart.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Grey Carter said:
I remember when End of eva came out and everyone acted like it was the single worst thing to happen to Evangelion ever, claiming it ruined all the characters, made no sense to the rest of the plot, etc. etc. yet years later, its not seen as one of the single best anime movies ever.

Eva 3.0 is no different, and the claims made against it are no less false and baseless then the oens made against eoE at the time.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
bartholen said:
xdiesp said:
Referring to the comments or the comic? In either case, some people just can't seem to take a joke.
I was thinking aloud browsing the comments... people use to bash tv because it makes you passive, "the boobtube" alright, so I was wondering the same about our fav media.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
SajuukKhar said:
Grey Carter said:
I remember when End of eva came out and everyone acted like it was the single worst thing to happen to Evangelion ever, claiming it ruined all the characters, made no sense to the rest of the plot, etc. etc. yet years later, its not seen as one of the single best anime movies ever.

Eva 3.0 is no different, and the claims made against it are no less false and baseless then the oens made against eoE at the time.
Wait, are you saying EoE is seen as "one of the best anime movies ever" (I'm assuming the not is a typo otherwise the paragraph doesn't really make sense) because it actually isn't. The critical response has been, quite famously, very mixed.

3.0 is very different, coming after 2.0. 3.0 is basically Anno going, "remember how we gave Shinji some agency in the last film and you all loved it? THAT WAS A TRAP, MOTHERFUCKERS." It's actually pretty clever in the general scheme of things (each rebuild film has prompted a reevaluation of the one before it) but people who LIKED seeing Shinji get his shit together will be disappointed.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Wait, are you saying EoE is seen as "one of the best anime movies ever" (I'm assuming the not is a typo otherwise the paragraph doesn't really make sense) because it actually isn't. The critical response has been, quite famously, very mixed.

3.0 is very different, coming after 2.0. 3.0 is basically Anno going, "remember how we gave Shinji some agency in the last film and you all loved it? THAT WAS A TRAP, MOTHERFUCKERS." It's actually pretty clever in the general scheme of things (each rebuild film has prompted a reevaluation of the one before it) but people who LIKED seeing Shinji get his shit together will be disappointed.
Yes, it was a typo, I meant now instead of not.

The mixed reception comes from the entire time it has been out, at the beginning it was DESPISED, but over time, pretty much everyone agrees EoE is great.

Shinji had agency in EVA 3 as well, to fix world, also, Shinji getting his act together is always saved for the END, as it was with EoE. And that is why in Eva1-3 Shinji isn't together, hell, at the end of 2.0 he said "forget the world im gonna save Rei" and "forgetting the world" is one of the things the series has always said is bad. Each film has been slowly building up to Shinji getting his shit togeather, which is why he is "slightly" more together in each film, EVA 3 continues this trend.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
blackrave said:
good to know I wasn't only one screaming this inside my head while watching this anime
"Bang the redhead, dammit" was the line that constantly went through my head

P.S.Although to be fair, "Bang the redhead" is my usual solution to every single problem.
Ditto, on the Ryoko bit not the redhead bit, she was incredibly unpleasant and has very little excuse for it.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I'm pretty sure not sticking it in the crazy applies to everyone on that show. Plus Shinji's ass never did recover from how massively his dad screwed him over before the show started.
Sticking it in crazy is AWESOME. Those warnings are just for the amateurs.
it might be cliché but it's true, the best sex you'll ever have is with the crazy girl you'll probably end up loathing. and then still fucking. and hate-crazy sex is... wow.

still, if you plan on sexing a crazy, i recommend always keeping a handful of valium around.