Netflix Launches New, Low-Quality Streaming for Canadians

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
icyneesan said:
I don't understand where everyone is getting this idea that all Canadian Internet providers cap their customers usage. Mine doesn't :\
Mine (Sasktel) does not either, which one do you use?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
doggie015 said:
ranyilliams said:
This makes me honestly embarrassed to be in canada right now... HEY CANADA'S INTERNET PROVIDERS! COMPANIES ARE ACTUALLY DUMBING DOWN THEIR SERVICES FOR US BECAUSE YOU ARE SO GREEDY! DO YOU THINK THAT MAKES US LOOK GOOD?????? IT MAKES US LOOK LIKE MONEY GRUBBING PEOPLE!!!!

Bell, Rogers...WHY YOU BE SO GREEDY!!!!
DEAL WITH IT!

We have had to put up with this kind of bullshit in Australia since the Internet first came here!
No you do not deal with it. You DO something about it.

Chubbs99

Dec 29, 2009
icyneesan said:
Hashime said:
icyneesan said:
I don't understand where everyone is getting this idea that all Canadian Internet providers cap their customers usage. Mine doesn't :\
Who is yours? In my area my choices are Cogeco (caps, low caps) or rogers (caps, DPI), or bell (caps, crappy service). I could go with teksavvy, but their connection quality is not great where I live.
I use Shaw and some of my friends use Telus. From what I know neither of these providers cap their customers.
I use Shaw as well, and No caps. They say I'm only suppose to be using 100 GB/mo with my plan, but do absolutely nothing about the fact I'm always over and in the 150-200GB range.

However, years ago living with 4 other gamers we managed to piss shaw off with our bandwidth usage that they said lower it or they would upgrade us for $50/mo more.

Nashidar

Jun 2, 2010
alias2 said:
Poor Canada, we Australians know exactly how you feel. The ISP's in Australia have only recently deigned to grant us mainstream uncapped plans in the last couple of years.

Super Toast said:
If the Canadian internet cap is considered to be awful, we Australians must be primitive by comparison. Not to mention that 200kb/ps is considered fast down under.
Also since when was 200kbps fast in Australia?

Maybe 10+ years ago. These days the minimum is 6000-8000 kbps and many people are lucky enough to enjoy ADSL2+ which gives speeds in excess of 12000 kbps all the way up to 24000kbps.

Maybe you need to investigate getting yourself a new internet provider.
Ah yes. The life of a capped Australian. I know the feeling all too well.

However, what you said about the minimum, etc. I have to ask - do you live in metro or regional or rural Australia.

Because outside of metro Australia things are pretty poor and pricing of plans can be different too.

Australia needs to improve its infrastructure (which the NBN is going to do) so until then - which will be about 10 years from now - we do not actually have the infrastructure to provide the bandwidth required to deliver services such as Netflix.

Also - I think the reference to 200 kbps was meant to be 200 Kilobytes per second not 200 kilobits per second. :p

Sti Nky Che Ese

Feb 13, 2010
Just Watched my first Netflix 300mb per hour movie on a HD tv, i was pleasantly surprised. its not high def, but its 100% clean ... the only time i noticed was during the credits.