Netflix Losing Streaming Rights to Movies, TV

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Another reason to cancel.

70% of the things I search for on Netflix cannot be streamed. Now, that's going to be even less. Neato.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Netflix keeps becoming a more and more unattractive option. With this they lose stuff like Ghost in the Shell and Torchwood which I wanted to check out.

OreoDoublestuff

Nov 18, 2009
Mcoffey said:
Shit, now how am I gonna watch the new season of Sparticus? Or Torchwood!

Guess I better finish up Ghost in the Shell while I still can...
Surprisingly, Torchwood isn't on the axe list, nor is Sparticus unless I missed it.

Also, Ghost in the Shell is Funimation's property in the US, as is most of the anime on Netflix so that'll be fine.

For people who aren't that into movies and instead use Netflix as a cable replacement, this doesn't really affect much at all.

Edit: I apparently don't understand 'isn't comprehensive'... but we'll see.

Digitaldreamer7

Sep 30, 2008
CriticKitten said:
Larva said:
Greed destroys everything once good. Netflix showed it was possible, so now all the license holders are taking back their rights to do their own streaming projects or jacking up the prices significantly.

Sad that Netflix is taking the blame for it, too.
They're taking the blame for it because it's entirely their own fault.

With Netflix essentially doubling its prices for all of its customers, Starz likely figured they deserved a bigger piece of that financial pie....and they're probably right in that assessment, since if Netflix was charging more per month to allow customers access to their materials but wasn't paying any of that extra money to Starz, it means Netflix was posting extra profits on the backs of Starz's materials without giving them any of the extra kickback. It's only natural they'd ask for more or pull out of the deal if Netflix is gaining more money off of their content but isn't willing to share any of it.

Consider: you're a digital distribution service with an exclusive licensing deal with several companies, in which you agree to pay certain amounts to each licensing group in exchange for access to their content. Then down the road, you decide you're not making enough from streaming and double up your rates, but don't give any of that additional kickback to your licensing companies. Naturally, they're going to be annoyed that you're making all of this money off of THEIR content, but aren't sharing it. That's what Starz is doing here. And people should rightfully blame Netflix because it is entirely Netflix's own fault. When you start demanding a lot more money for a distribution service you've provided for years, expect everyone who does business with you to start expecting more money as well, or to leave your market for cheaper pastures.
I'm not privy to the contract details as I don't work for starz or netflix, but, I think you are not seeing the entire picture here. They didn't increase the prices for starz/streaming content as DVD licenses come from the dvd distributors, which, starz is not. All they did was split the services up into two different services as opposed to an all in one solution. So technically they did not increase the price to stream content. it's always been the same price. IDK why netflix is getting a bad rap for this. Yes, it's a price increase. which is a revenue increase, which allows them to pay more for big contracts with studios to provide it's consumers with what they want, which is content. Hell, look at the cost of living increase and inflation numbers and you'll see that it's been long overdue for a price increase. Just like when Microsoft increased the price of xbox live. It went 6+ years without and inflation or cost of living increase. It costs money to get content licenses, provide said content, and still turn a profit.

Wes1180

Wes1180
Jul 25, 2009
Seriously the second that netflix comes to the uk and other countries they will get more money...

ShogunSam-R-I

Jul 14, 2011
Mcoffey said:
Shit, now how am I gonna watch the new season of Sparticus? Or Torchwood!

Guess I better finish up Ghost in the Shell while I still can...
As soon as I read the article, Spartacus was the first thing that popped in my head. DAMN IT!!!

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Digitaldreamer7 said:
Meh, 7.99 for the ability for my 8 year old to "channel surf" is fine. Beat's cable any day. Hopefully this will bring in other contracts etc.

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but, I think the old "reduce supply to increase demand" mantra of cable and movie channels pre-internet is a pretty terrible business strategy these days.
especially with all the other entertainment media available- cable tv doesn't have such an exclusive share of the entertainment market anymore, so the competition is causing them to lose business. apparently no one ever taught them how to properly compete for a larger user base: by lowering their prices

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
ph0b0s123 said:
We want to get lots of money for our content even if it means the consumers access to it decreases. But we cannot understand why there is increasing amounts of piracy of our content though....
...herp derp.

This probably doesn't effect me a whole lot as the Canadian Netflix's selection is shite anyway.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Dumb move on Starz' part. It's almost like they want people to pirate their stuff. Doesn't affect me since I can't get Netflix here anyway. Apparently I can get Hulu now, though.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
MrSnugglesworth said:
tony2077 said:
meh i hate these bastards how dare you kill blockbusters
If it weren't them, it would be someone else.

OT: Nooooo! I love Netflix! IS WEEDS GOING TO BE AFFECTED? I FUCKING LOVE THAT SHOW!
well i'd hate them as well

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
CriticKitten said:
They're taking the blame for it because it's entirely their own fault.

With Netflix essentially doubling its prices for all of its customers, Starz likely figured they deserved a bigger piece of that financial pie....
They could have just kept their price down to what it was before, and lose money and go out of business as an alternative. I understand that Netflix had to raise their prices, and I understand why they did. I can't fault them for it. Once you have a business that doesn't make any money, it stops being a business, and it's a hobby.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
"Highly valuable content" my ass!

Time to cancel my account! (Wait, not now. I have to watch more Scrubs!)

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Ouch. Anchor Bay is a subsidiary of Starz, isn't it? Glad I cancelled my Netflix account when I did (I was too lazy to tie my account to my new debt card heh). I feel kind of bad that I kept forgetting to watch all those Argento films I had in my queue...

Captcha: star rkfrmy

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
There is literally nothing on Starz that I wanted to watch anyone. Weeds went to shit after its second season. It was a plummet in quality only rivaled by Heroes.

I haven't looked up something in Starz Play in over a year.

So don't fret, people. There's still plenty of great stuff on there. Hell, they recently added Mad Men. Now you have no excuse to not watch it.

plus2exp

Aug 31, 2011
The streaming library was always lackluster to begin with. It was never the reason why I joined Netflix. It was more of a cheap added bonus that may or may not be of any use. That was before the price hike. I went DVD only at that point. To put it nicely, the streaming service is not currently, nor has it ever been worth what Netflix are asking for it. Starz pulling out just lessens its value even more.

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
Just looked through all the shit they had on Netflix. Almost everything was either old as hell or garbage so...hooray?