Netflix Losing Streaming Rights to Movies, TV

enriquetnt

Mar 20, 2010
I live in venezuela so i CANT get netflix period, and also there is no STARZ network service in any operator (so the only legal option i have is waiting a million months till the series get released in DVD and importing them wich costs a LOT of money since dollar conversion here is regulated by government you just get a fixed amount of dollars per year and after that have to buy the dollars in the black market at nearly triple the price, so a 50 dollars DVD series pack costs here 800Bs which is 200 dollars at official rate and about 100 dollars at black market rate)

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I'm trying to follow Starz logic here? We have a slowly dying mid to bottom end pay premium cable channel service. we have had a solid and dependable revenue stream via the top streaming provider. Yeah it might not be as big or margins as the pay channels. But really? Who else would pay us for our Gene Autry catalogue? (who else would care?). So lets price ourselves outside of that option, so we cut off that steady trickle stream of income. wooHoo! All of those upset fans will come knocking back at our door just rabid to pay us $12 a month for us to show then old 80's teenager movies and nothing ever rated higher than 2 stars, except for that one movie a month we pay a little extra for. Maybe a disney flick. Yeah that will work!

I mean really what are they going to do with their product? Unless Hulu is just throwing money away stupidly (which I am not ruling out) Netflix was really the only game in town to actually generate some revenue with a back catalogue like that. It doesn't make any money of no one is watching it. (and yeah I know everyone says it will just be an excuse to pirate the stuff... but really did you look at the Starz catalogue? If you could find 5 things on there worth the bandwidth to get illegally I would be amazed. Maybe just Spartacus and Torchwood... that's about it.)

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Ohhhhh.... crap.

Heh, we just changed from the "DVD and streaming" version to the "streaming only" version. Depending on how things are looking in March of next year, we might have to re-assess that decision.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Cheshire the Cat said:
And thats why I don't use shit like Netflix or Steam.
What the hell does Steam have to do with Netflix and Starz not coming to an agreement on streaming content? You make no sense man.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Just looked up the starz play list and there are only a few titles I would watch on there anyway. One being Big Trouble in Little China but that is pretty much it.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Man, I guess I'd care if I didn't work for Comcast and get all the free cable I want, but I don't care and I do get it all free!!!!

Anyway, I guess this is just another little straw on the camel's back towards determining if Netflix is worth it or not.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Oh darn, big loss there...like anyone watches the crap that is starz.

Honestly this won't affect me one iota since I cancelled my netflix subscription. They don't have enough good content on there to even warrant paying them.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Will this affect my ability to stream Star Trek episodes on my brother's computer? If not, fuck whoever the hell Starz is. If yes, fuck Netflix.

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
I looked over what Starz has, and less than 1% looked interesting to me. And I'll have plenty of time to watch that 1% before the deal expires.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
DustyDrB said:
There is literally nothing on Starz that I wanted to watch anyone. Weeds went to shit after its second season. It was a plummet in quality only rivaled by Heroes.

I haven't looked up something in Starz Play in over a year.

So don't fret, people. There's still plenty of great stuff on there. Hell, they recently added Mad Men. Now you have no excuse to not watch it.
Uh, "Weeds" is on Showtime, not Starz. Maybe Starz was distributing it somehow, but I find that unlikely.

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
Glass Joe the Champ said:
Ok, I'm done. I put up with the crappy redesign and the price hike, but I watched the Starz movies all the time.

Good luck with the downward spiral, dicks.
It's not their fault, it's Starz'. Netflix was just showing us what was possible and now Starz wants to pull out and do their own thing. I still love Netflix and they have a ton of stuff, Starz isn't irreplaceable.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Nigh Invulnerable said:
DustyDrB said:
There is literally nothing on Starz that I wanted to watch anyone. Weeds went to shit after its second season. It was a plummet in quality only rivaled by Heroes.

I haven't looked up something in Starz Play in over a year.

So don't fret, people. There's still plenty of great stuff on there. Hell, they recently added Mad Men. Now you have no excuse to not watch it.
Uh, "Weeds" is on Showtime, not Starz. Maybe Starz was distributing it somehow, but I find that unlikely.
I thought it was on Showtime, but a combination of not having watched it in a while, and not having watched it on TV when I did see it (I used Netflix), and seeing someone else here mention Weeds in relation to Starz made me think otherwise.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Cheshire the Cat said:
mjc0961 said:
Cheshire the Cat said:
And thats why I don't use shit like Netflix or Steam.
What the hell does Steam have to do with Netflix and Starz not coming to an agreement on streaming content? You make no sense man.
Thats what I love about these forums. Having to spell every single thing out to everyone. -.-;

Quite clearly, a number of things can go wrong, in this case losing the licence to distribute shit.
Owning things on disk avoids that issue altogether.
Even though Steam isn't a subscription based service, and even when EA games were removed from the Steam store, you could still play them on Steam if you'd already bought them. If steam loses licensing for products, you don't lose them.

Netflix however is sub based and if they remove something then you are losing something you've payed for, however from reading this article it isn't Netflix fault, its because Starz wanted to hike prices on their content, which in turn could lead to Netflix leading to having to raise their prices again, Netflix refused to pay the price Starz wanted, which was most likely stupidly high, instead of accepting it and making their customers foot the bill.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I am just going to guess that this will be a bullet that kills canadian netflix.

That is, Assuming we ever even saw stars content. If so whelp there goes even more of the tiny library, if not, we still have a tiny Library.

Seriously its like nothing but the animes you aren't looking for and films that did so bad they are allowed to be seen by canadians ffs.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
Why cant they just LetMeWitchThis in peace...its not like they have the biggest MovieDataCenter around....And bye the looks of it its getting worse and worse by the month

kikon9

Aug 11, 2010
Meh, all the shows I watch on Netflix turn out to be on DVD anyway. Not much of a loss for me.