New Bundle Puts Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment Back on the Shelves

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
New Bundle Puts Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment Back on the Shelves

A new bundle offers six of the best isometric RPGs ever made for only twenty bucks? Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!

There are many gamers who miss the days of unwinding a solid story, finding +2 weapons with ostentatious names, and trying to decide how many hexagons they'd need to travel before summoning a Cacofiend from safety. But, even though mainstream game developers have long since left the isometric grids of yesteryear behind, RPG lovers can still relive some of the most timeless gaming experiences ever crafted by replaying their favoites. Next week, Atari is releasing a brand new bundle of these classic games for a ridiculously low price.

The Dungeons & Dragons Anthology: The Master Collection will include six RPG classics and all of their expansions for one measly green portrait of Andrew Jackson. Here's what you'll get for the twenty bucks:

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 + Expansions
Icewind Dale 1 & 2 + Expansions
Planescape: Torment
The Temple of Elemental Evil

If the hundreds of hours you'll spend hunched over your PC from that packaged goodness aren't enough, Atari will also be releasing a second bundle called Dungeon & Dragons: Neverwinter Nights Complete for thirty bucks which will include:

Neverwinter Nights + Expansions
Neverwinter Nights 2 + Expansions
An 18" x 21" map of Neverwinter

If you've heard of these games, but never made the time to check them out, this sounds like a pretty opportune moment to take the plunge. The Baldur's Gate series alone is almost universally known as one of the greatest examples of the RPG genre to date (and was even recently voted top game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114127-Game-Devs-Vote-Baldurs-Gate-Best-Game-of-All-Time] in a survey of game developers), but Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment are certainly no slouches in the role-playing department either. Sure, it's not as exciting as an HD remake or Baldur's Gate 3, but gamers could do a whole lot worse than finding a legit copy of so many classics already tooled for today's PCs in one package with a cheap price tag.

Both bundles are currently available for preorder at GameStop, Target, and Amazon. [http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Classic-Anthology-Pc/dp/B005JQ064A/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320946802&sr=8-1-fkmr1]

Source: Gaming Blend [http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Baldur-Gate-Neverwinter-Nights-Coming-Back-Stores-36864.html]

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Holy Cr*p...

Now I only need to get rid of my graphic-wh*re eyesight, endure the pixels and can have some fun with this series (again)...

What...yes but...but..alright. Boo tells me that I'm raving again. I did not notice a difference, but I shall heed his word, nonetheless.

Oct 30, 2010
Wow, that's awesome. I already have anything but ToEE, but still. Awesome.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
Oh man...

...I hope these bundles get put on Steam. I just got into PC gaming two years ago, and I really want to play some of the past gems.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Sorry Atari, I bought the D&D pack off GOG back when they had the sale and thus have no reason to purchase the bundle.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
DeadlyYellow said:
Sorry Atari, I bought the D&D pack off GOG back when they had the sale and thus have no reason to purchase the bundle.
Same here. The more people who are exposed to these old classics, the better in my opinion, so definitely a good thing.

Shanshu_Prophecy

Sep 13, 2010
These games are available separately on Good Old Games (www.gog.com) right now. It has an excellant selection of games for digital download all for less than $10 each. And they have weekly sales, so you may be able to pick them up cheap if you are patient. Highly recommended site!

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Aircross said:
Oh man...

...I hope these bundles get put on Steam. I just got into PC gaming two years ago, and I really want to play some of the past gems.
These are definetly worth having. I sunk silly hours in Baldurs Gate 2 alone, trying new classes and so on. Highly recommend picking them up!

Feb 13, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
Same here. It's a good deal, but you've got to pick up the pace.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I've been seriously thinking on buying Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment at GOG, but for $20, I guess that this is a no-brainer.

Also, the other pack of Neverwinter Nights sounds pretty good, but I think that just buying the first game alone in GOG is enough, as I've heard that not many people are fans of NWN2.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
Also, the other pack of Neverwinter Nights sounds pretty good, but I think that just buying the first game alone in GOG is enough, as I've heard that not many people are fans of NWN2.
But it also contains the expansions; Mask of the Betrayer is supposed to be very good (though I unfortunately haven't yet got around to playing it; damn you backlog of games!).

Apr 28, 2008
I see they finally figured out that "hey, people will buy old games if you put them out there!"

Something GoG figured out years ago, but whatever. Good for them. Hopefully there's no crap DRM on the games.

As for me, well I already bought all those off of GoG. In addition to the games that are optimized for current operating systems and no DRM, I get the soundtracks and a bunch of other goodies.

Well, I don't own Temple of Elemental Evil yet, I'll probably get that off GoG sooner or later though.

Still, great deal for other people.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
I... I think... I think I just jizzed in my pants.

I will be getting this, no doubt.

eventhorizon525

Sep 14, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
I've been seriously thinking on buying Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment at GOG, but for $20, I guess that this is a no-brainer.

Actually, I found NWN2 quite enjoyable, though when I tried the original NWN more recently it felt much more stable and, for lack of a better word, complete. That isn't to say NWN2 is bad, it is just to say it is a different feel and doesn't have the same "old game" feel yet, making the meh graphics, bugs, and occasional lag seemingly less forgivable.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Boo will be pleased that he and Minsc will one again graze the golden screen of PC Gaming!