New Call of Duty game let's players be Non-binary

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Do you see gender as a social construct?
Well I don't think that what I think matters I'm no one of importance, however if I had to say I've never fully understood what even is a man or a woman, most of my life I've chosen to ignore because since I don't feel sexual attraction anyway I never really thought the issue of gender would ever be relevant to me personally, it's part of the reason why it's taken me this long to figure it out, even though it's actually somewhat obvious if anyone bothers looking at my old posts regarding the topic.

I guess I would say that most of what society interprets as gender is a social construct, the way men and women dress, the way their voices sound, which mannerisms they use and so on, if you really think about there's nothing natural about it and the fact that people that don't follow these standards exist automatically means you're not biologically compelled to act this way as it can be defied.

The other aspect which is the biological one is a bit more tangible, however some aspects of it are socially constructed, the gender binary for example, we know for a fact that it's a spectrum since intersex people and animals exist, so yes pretending it's a binary is definitely socially constructed, not to mention that historically it's common for intersex people to be forced into gender reassignment surgery in order to fit the binary.

So I guess so, my opinion would be that most of what we perceive as gender has been socially constructed.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
How do you know that anything ever, ever actually happened or didn't happen?
Oh, are we back to talking about Cod Blops?

Yes, this question is what "secret history" is made of. You can have "secret history" where wizards exist and secretly won WWII, if you want. An MIB set in the past would be secret history. Assassins Creed is secret history.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Oh, are we back to talking about Cod Blops?

Yes, this question is what "secret history" is made of. You can have "secret history" where wizards exist and secretly won WWII, if you want. An MIB set in the past would be secret history. Assassins Creed is secret history.
In that case, how is it that wizards winning WW2 can be secret history and the CIA giving nonbinary people a checkbox for their gender can't be?

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Aside from medication (which I am a fan of taking if it helps), are there any therapies that tend to help with the problem? Like...I dunno, the totemic item trope that they used in Inception? Some kind of object or tactile thing that you can use to help sort of recenter your point of awareness so it's not feeling so disconnected? Or perhaps a Reality Buddy, I mean assuming you have a support network of people (which I am guessing you don't, since you said multiple times you are often alone). I mean do you have real world friends that you could draft into helping with this for when you are in public? Some kind of little thing the two of you do to help ground you? Because for me at least, I notice that I'm usually in a position, where I'm not touching anything (like standing still while talking to someone), or I've been still for so long that I feel loose from my body. I suspect it's a case of my body awareness input has gone neutral for so long, that my brain is sort of temporarily numb, or at least that's how it feels. So moving (thus causing my clothing to brush against my skin, the thud of my feet on the ground, etc) as well as just reaching out and touching things outside my body, tend to help speed up my snapping out of it. Having a fidget cube or similar toy to play with to distract your train of thought, etc.

I'm just spitballing random thoughts that seem like they might help of course. Not suggesting don't take meds, but maybe they would help as well.
No, I don't know the solution yet, to be honest I haven't tried to find any solutions until recently, I've never told any of my friends because I'm afraid they'll start thinking I'm crazy and won't want to be around me anymore, which os dumb they've been telling me to go to a doctor for years, one of them told me he's pretty sure I suffer from paranoid schizophrenia, so I guess it's just that I'm insecure about it.

The doctor hasn't really formulated a treatment, but that's my fault I told her I wouldn't take the meds, so she says she needs to know the root of the issue, and I'm not great at communicating so that's taking a long time.

And to be honest for the most part it's manageable, most of the time I just stare into space with a blank expression, I've only freaked out from it a few times and they've been years appart, it's only recently that it got really bad.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
In that case, how is it that wizards winning WW2 can be secret history and the CIA giving nonbinary people a checkbox for their gender can't be?
Because one of those things contradicts with established history and the other doesn't.
It's really very simple.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Well I don't think that what I think matters I'm no one of importance, however if I had to say I've never fully understood what even is a man or a woman, most of my life I've chosen to ignore because since I don't feel sexual attraction anyway I never really thought the issue of gender would ever be relevant to me personally, it's part of the reason why it's taken me this long to figure it out, even though it's actually somewhat obvious if anyone bothers looking at my old posts regarding the topic.

I guess I would say that most of what society interprets as gender is a social construct, the way men and women dress, the way their voices sound, which mannerisms they use and so on, if you really think about there's nothing natural about it and the fact that people that don't follow these standards exist automatically means you're not biologically compelled to act this way as it can be defied.

The other aspect which is the biological one is a bit more tangible, however some aspects of it are socially constructed, the gender binary for example, we know for a fact that it's a spectrum since intersex people and animals exist, so yes pretending it's a binary is definitely socially constructed, not to mention that historically it's common for intersex people to be forced into gender reassignment surgery in order to fit the binary.

So I guess so, my opinion would be that most of what we perceive as gender has been socially constructed.
If gender is a social construct, created by society, then how can someone be born as a "female" gender in a "male" body, or vice versa? The female gender does not exist and so one can not be born into it, merely have it imposed on them.

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
If gender is a social construct, created by society then how can someone be born as a "female" gender in a "male" body, or vice versa? The female gender does not exist and so one can not be born into it, merely have it imposed on them.
Well I don't know, all I can tell you is that it feels wrong, like you should be something else, I don't really think it's a question I'm qualified to answer.

I've already explained how I personally feel in more detail than I'm really comfortable with, so not to be rude but if all you want to know is how I feel it's explained in this thread already in two very long conversations with Houseman & CriticalGaming, and I'm not really feeling like having that conversation again to be honest I'm feeling awful today, like I'm likely to reply if you ask questions but I'd rather you don't.

Look, I'm not an expert, I don't have all the answers and I'm too preoccupied with my current situation to bother with the scientific research needed to answer that question.

Sorry I was much more argumentative yesterday, since I was in a venting mood, today I'm just really depressed.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Nah. If secret history can include magic, then the presence of the nonbinary check box was magic.
Okay, if you want to say that the non-binary check box was not inconsistent with established history, then it becomes propaganda, since you're saying that the government is more progressive than it really was. Is that what you want to say?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Because one of those things contradicts with established history and the other doesn't.
It's really very simple.
Wait, are you fucking serious? That secret history bullshit you wanted me to read, includes saying that fucking MAGIC won world war 2? And that I'm supposed to treat it as a credible source? Do you seriously believe that magic is real?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Wait, are you fucking serious? That secret history bullshit you wanted me to read, includes saying that fucking MAGIC won world war 2? And that I'm supposed to treat it as a credible source? Do you seriously believe that magic is real?
...What are you talking about?

Secret history is a genre of fiction. There are rules to this genre. Rule #1 is what you include cannot contradict established history.

History says that magic doesn't exist and that wizards did not participate in WWII.
But if a fiction story were to be made that explained how wizards kept hidden (hence SECRET) and really did participate, although they were never acknowledged for it, this would be within the bounds of the genre.

You can have whatever fiction you want, as long as it doesn't break Rule #1.

I really don't understand why so many people are having a hard time parsing this. It's like you people are just finding out about Assassin's Creed for the first time. Am I on the wrong forum? Am I confusing The Escapist for, like, a retirement home for boomers who never played video games?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Okay, if you want to say that the non-binary check box was not inconsistent with established history, then it becomes propaganda, since you're saying that the government is more progressive than it really was. Is that what you want to say?
Are you saying that magic is propaganda? Why aren't you advocating for the dismissal of Harry Potter?

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Are you saying that magic is propaganda?
No, I'm saying that if YOU'RE saying that the non-binary check box does not contradict with established history, or that it's otherwise "covered up" by magic, or by any other means, then it's propaganda. Either way, you're saying that the government was more progressive than they actually were, which is propaganda.

Last edited:

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
No, I'm saying that if YOU'RE saying that the non-binary check box does not contradict with established history, or that it's otherwise "covered up" by magic, or by any other means, then it's propaganda.
Magic in WW2 (or hell, let's say WW1) contradicts established history. Does that make Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them propoganda?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Magic in WW2 (or hell, let's say WW1) contradicts established history.
No, it doesn't. Here, I'll demonstrate.

Prove to me that Hitler didn't have a pet dragon that he kept in a secret underground bunker.

Does that make Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them propoganda?
It makes it secret history, so long as it takes place in the past, and everything was kept secret. I haven't watched it, or read the books, if there are any, so I don't know.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Prove to me that the CIA didn't have a form somewhere in the 80's with a nonbinary checkbox.
Answer my question, and then I'll answer yours.
I asked you first, after all. It's only polite.

Last edited:

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Answer my question, and then I'll answer yours.
And here we have it. This whole thing has just been posturing, and when called on it, you got nothing.

Because the burden here is on you, not me. You didn't ask me that question first. This entire thread has been my question, and you've been chickening out on answering it the whole time. You're the one saying that a nonbinary checkbox on a CIA form in the 80's breaks the "secret history" genre. That's your claim. You are, on the other hand, fully willing to buy in to Hitler having a pet dragon as a valid expression of the form with no pretense or justification. I have been asking you where the difference was, and you've done nothing but weasel around it. Put up or shut up, as they say.

Or just continue to shift goal posts, whine that we're all just too dumb to understand your galaxy brain rhetoric, bring up pedophilia, or any of your other usual, tiresome tactics. I only engaged here to show the others how they can drill down your bad faith within a single page instead of the tens and tens of pages they let you string them along because they allow themselves to follow your distractions. A Guide to Houseman, if you will.