New Ghostbusters Trailer Introduces Slimer, Shows off Chris Hemsworth

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Ooookay...why didn't they lead with this?

It's not a perfect trailer by any means, but it is leaps and bounds better than that first one.
What I don't get is why they are saying it's "introducing slimer". He was clearly visible in the first trailer. Is it "introduced" because the characters interacted with him? I mean it's not like he said anything. He just floated around like he always does.

tiamat5

Aug 6, 2008
Yeah this is awful. The effects look okay but I would scrap it completely or start over with a new cast and story. If they had gotten better female comedians maybe I would be more optimistic. But this looks like basically Pixels level of awfulness. I really am not sure what people are talking about. It was actually better when we didn't see much of it but now that I have it's even worse. Also I am pretty sure Winston was not such a black cliche as this woman obviously is and if he was they were much more subtle about it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
Something Amyss said:
Ooookay...why didn't they lead with this?

It's not a perfect trailer by any means, but it is leaps and bounds better than that first one.
What I don't get is why they are saying it's "introducing slimer". He was clearly visible in the first trailer. Is it "introduced" because the characters interacted with him? I mean it's not like he said anything. He just floated around like he always does.
That seems to be wholly the author's doing, so I really can't answer.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
ccggenius12 said:
President Bagel said:
We never got Ecto Cooler up here in Canada. We won't be getting it a second time either. We never got those delicious looking Ninja Turtle pudding pies either. Thanks a bunch, America.
Silly Canadian, everyone knows hats don't need food or drink!

But seriously, that sucks. At least you can console yourself with a superior candy selection and universal healthcare?
Do we really have better candies in Canada?

And also, do you have the regular-flavoured Crispers? they don't seem to sell them here, at least in the Maritimes anymore.

moggett88

May 2, 2013
KaraFang said:
Bobular said:
Frostbyte666 said:
...Better...but that joke over lady or black. Just no, besides aren't they forgetting weight? Lord knows If someone that big came diving down at me regardless of race or gender I'd be doing my best to get out of the way.
The whole lady part of it though is stupid because we just saw them carry that other woman, so clearly the implication here is the audience is all racist.

The point of a joke should be to set something up and then take it in an unexpected direction. Black lady jumps into a crowd and no one catches her because they're racist isn't funny. A joke where a black lady accuses crowd of being racist but they say "No its because your fat" has the potential to be funny if pulled of well.
Doesn't work either.

Melissa is surfed, so it's not a lady or weight thing.
Black people in the crowd staring down at her and didn't pick her up, so it's not a race thing.

Mind you, what'd you expect from a movie that has the villain become a stay puft marshmallow man sized Ghost from the ghostbusters logo because he "asks" them what shape they want him to destroy the world in.... hmmm, now where have I seen that before but done 100 million times better?
I think the line is supposed to be "I don't know whether writing a joke about people being racist or being sexist is funnier, so I'll just middle-ground it and hope it ends up funny". Breaks the fourth wall a bit, but I guess that's fine since Deadpool did so well.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
the December King said:
Do we really have better candies in Canada?

And also, do you have the regular-flavoured Crispers? they don't seem to sell them here, at least in the Maritimes anymore.
I'd just assumed, because every *insert favorite candy* thread that pops up here is inundated with a deluge of people naming candies that don't exist in America. Fortuitously, Presidential Bagel appears to have corroborated my anecdotal evidence. Of course, he now also has me wondering what's lacking in your breakfast isle...

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
I'm not watching this trailer, I have no interest in doing so

Where's my controversy over being MRA?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
PsychicTaco115 said:
I'm not watching this trailer, I have no interest in doing so

Where's my controversy over being MRA?
Meat-Relish Activist? We already knew about your savory politics.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Yes, this trailer is marginally better than the first, but so is being covered in ten gallons of liquefied shit rather than twenty gallons. Doesn't really make it more appealing.

Yeah, I just...can't find the will to go see this movie, even out of some morbid curiosity to see how good or bad it turns out. Nothing about it, beyond the initial premise of 'gender-bending Ghostbusters for a reboot', interests me. Which is a shame. The cast, individually, are fine but none of the clips demonstrate any sort of charm or charisma between them. I'm not fond of the directors catalog of work, for the most part. The jokes presented in the trailers are flat at best and cringe-inducing at worst, and the effects look cheap and antiquated (and not in a good way). Even this 'good' trailer still makes the film look like some unholy cross between a modern day Sandler comedy and one of those god-awful live-action Scooby Doo movies.

Still, despite all of that, it has given me a few things to enjoy. It's lead to Ecto Coolers returning, and the shitstorms of petty bickering it's spawned online (and Sony's abysmal attempts at damage control) have been quite entertaining to watch. Which is quite convenient as I'll have something to drink while watching the world destroy itself over the dumbest shit.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
webkilla said:
The "girl thing or a race thing" joke though... it falls as flat as the failed attempt at crowd-surfing.
I got far more of a laugh out of that comment than I did either of the trailers.

I don't know if its the type of comedy in the new movie, the nostalgia of the old movies or just that it's not a good movie (which going by the huge amount of negativity surrounding it so far this isn't impossible), but I haven't seen anything that had made me laugh or get at all excited. Still I agree this trailer is an improvement, didn't have the drawn out possession scene the first one that. That trailer bored me :-/

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Vigormortis said:
Yes, this trailer is marginally better than the first, but so is being covered in ten gallons of liquefied shit rather than twenty gallons. Doesn't really make it more appealing.

Yeah, I just...can't find the will to go see this movie, even out of some morbid curiosity to see how good or bad it turns out. Nothing about it, beyond the initial premise of 'gender-bending Ghostbusters for a reboot', interests me. Which is a shame. The cast, individually, are fine but none of the clips demonstrate any sort of charm or charisma between them. I'm not fond of the directors catalog of work, for the most part. The jokes presented in the trailers are flat at best and cringe-inducing at worst, and the effects look cheap and antiquated (and not in a good way). Even this 'good' trailer still makes the film look like some unholy cross between a modern day Sandler comedy and one of those god-awful live-action Scooby Doo movies.

Still, despite all of that, it has given me a few things to enjoy. It's lead to Ecto Coolers returning, and the shitstorms of petty bickering it's spawned online (and Sony's abysmal attempts at damage control) have been quite entertaining to watch. Which is quite convenient as I'll have something to drink while watching the world destroy itself over the dumbest shit.
You want some popcorn to eat as well? I'm cooking it.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
RaikuFA said:
Please. But go light on the salt and butter. I'm watching my figure.

I wanna look good for the apocalypse.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Vigormortis said:
RaikuFA said:
Please. But go light on the salt and butter. I'm watching my figure.

I wanna look good for the apocalypse.
Gotcha. This is gonna be a trainwreck of the highest variety.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
RaikuFA said:
Oh, you know it. But I wonder...

What will yield the most melodrama? The movie being awful, or the movie being good? Either way, it'll be entertaining.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
RicoADF said:
webkilla said:
The "girl thing or a race thing" joke though... it falls as flat as the failed attempt at crowd-surfing.
I got far more of a laugh out of that comment than I did either of the trailers.

I don't know if its the type of comedy in the new movie, the nostalgia of the old movies or just that it's not a good movie (which going by the huge amount of negativity surrounding it so far this isn't impossible), but I haven't seen anything that had made me laugh or get at all excited. Still I agree this trailer is an improvement, didn't have the drawn out possession scene the first one that. That trailer bored me :-/
It strikes me that the "girl thing or a race thing" was meant more as a follow-up, not a joke, with the decired (female) audience reaction being "Ya you tell 'em girl" or some similar form of empathy. Of course, we don't know this character, so we have no cause to empathize with her. Indeed, seeing her going "the power of pain compels you" certainly doesn't make her come off as worthy of empathy.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Vigormortis said:
RaikuFA said:
Oh, you know it. But I wonder...

What will yield the most melodrama? The movie being awful, or the movie being good? Either way, it'll be entertaining.
I'd say Awful. If the reaction to James Rolf's video on why he's not gonna see this thing is any indicator there are a LOT of people REALLY riding on this movie being the next big victory for Feminism. This thing flops, I'm expecting a TON of temper tantrums and whining.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Markedly better than the first trailer.

I actually got a little awkward grin out of that "I'm just gonna go" bit.

They definitely should have lead with this one...not that it's good, in any way something worth seeing, nor is it a worthy "successor" to the originals...

It's still, nakedly, some unholy union between Ghostbusters rule 63 fanfiction, Bridesmaids (I genuinely don't understand how people found that film funny), and the Scooby-Doo movie sequels.

Therefore, still not seeing it. Still loathe its existence. Still annoyed at being called a misogynist because I think the aforementioned things.

So, no real change here.