New IGN Contest: No Girls Allowed

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Sounds gay.

...Literally, sounds like someone's only keen on being surrounded by the good'ol "meat fire hose" if you know what I mean... To each his own I guess...

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
This is the stuff. We *dominant* males need to work our way up to the top so that women can go back to their remedial tasks and cooking, and to make us men our sons and (preferably not) daughters that we can sell on to Farmer John for his fattest pig.

While we're on the topic, those females can just go back to their homes and not drive and cause most road accidents and are worse at driving than anymale, they should not work in offices because they ruin their bosses careers when they seduce them, they should not be allowed to vote (especially blondes) as they have no clue on politics whatsoever and all current female politicians need fired at once, and finally they should allow a married man beat his wife to control her - they only won last time because thier dumb minds got onto the streets in protest.

Oh and also, if, by some miracle a woman is reading this (most likely a man in a woman's body), step away from the computer and everything will be ok - jsu tyou go get your manicure, peticure, cut, colouring and make up done for your husband. If you dont have a husband go marry the first man who is interested in you and make it your life's work to please him.

Thats the way Ron would have wanted it.

**NOTE**: I dont agree with what I just said I was being completely sarcastic throughout and I really do think that near-equality is a good thing and that blondes are equally as intelligent
Please don't kill me.

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
I have seen plenty of women only contests, so I really don't think this is that big of a deal. A few segregations of the sexes is completely ok and there is no outright chauvinism involved in this at all, It's a contest for guys. Though I can't see a reason a women couldn't enter this I don't believe this is a cause for alarm. Women get their perks, Ladies nights at bars, When a band is filming a music video, and you really like the band, but they want 3 girls to every guy for the shoot, Women can get an assortment of jobs without harassment but say A guy wants to be a model or cut hair, he's assumed feminine and gay, but when a woman wants to be a cop (at least nowadays) no one questions here. This is just an IGN contest its not a big deal. There's also those law issues about men and womens different times spent incarcerated for the same crime. I am all for global equality, this to me does not show any inequality, its simply a contest that only guys can enter, its not like your right to vote is being taken away.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
It is really weird, because in all likelihood the winner would've been male anyway.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Esc.Control said:
Number 2: If they had a contest open only to girls, no one would bat an eye. So why the double-standard?
Yeah, I'm finding a lot of double standards in equality talks these days. But I'd actually like an example in which a contest was open to only girls..

Bluesnow

Jun 10, 2009
As a girl I don't really care...

I don't think it was a wise decision on IGN's part for public image, but there's no reason to throw a hissy fit over it. I'm curious to hear if they do give a reasoning behind this though. Maybe Peter Jackson is gynophobic?

Tsubaki

Jun 11, 2009
If I had seen this contest some time ago I probably would've found it to be quite saddening, as I would like to think that we've at least advanced far enough as a society to know that men and women are equal beings and should be treated as such.

Now however I must say that I do not object in the least to a men's only contest. Why? In recent years there has been a ridiculous increase in the number of women's only programs and the like. Women's only gyms, the high school WISE program, women's only trains, women's only contests, etc.

I take no issue with gender equality, but that's not what seems to be coming about. Some women have moved past wanting to have the same rights as men to wanting to have their own personal programs in which men are unwelcome, while at the same time seeking to be welcome to any program of which a man can be a part.

I know that this "wrong" will not make the situation right, but I think it may start people thinking--had this been a women's only contest no one would've given it a second thought, but a men's only contest!? Heaven forbid. Think about it, perhaps.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Therumancer said:
It would be more of an issue if say for example the contest was "No Fat Chicks" and required that female contestants send pictures.
They've had plenty of those - never heard of "Miss Video Game," eh?

If the prize is appealing to members of both genders, both genders should be able to enter. Period. What I'm also confused by is the "who are at least between 18-24 years of age..." bit. So...does that mean if you're 25, you're out? Or that you simply have to be a legal adult?

TheGhostOfSin

Terrible, Terrible Damage.
May 21, 2008
Esc.Control said:
If they had a contest open only to girls, no one would bat an eye. So why the double-standard?
This, very much so.
Girls get <url=http://www.diamond.co.uk>exclusive <url=http://www.sheilaswheels.com>stuff it's all good, guys get something just for them and it's sexist.

It seems to me that the whole equal rights issue is now the other way round...

my dog said quack

Jun 9, 2009
VitalSigns said:
I have seen plenty of women only contests, so I really don't think this is that big of a deal. A few segregations of the sexes is completely ok and there is no outright chauvinism involved in this at all, It's a contest for guys. Though I can't see a reason a women couldn't enter this I don't believe this is a cause for alarm. Women get their perks, Ladies nights at bars, When a band is filming a music video, and you really like the band, but they want 3 girls to every guy for the shoot, Women can get an assortment of jobs without harassment but say A guy wants to be a model or cut hair, he's assumed feminine and gay, but when a woman wants to be a cop (at least nowadays) no one questions here. This is just an IGN contest its not a big deal. There's also those law issues about men and womens different times spent incarcerated for the same crime. I am all for global equality, this to me does not show any inequality, its simply a contest that only guys can enter, its not like your right to vote is being taken away.

i agree, even as a guy the prize to me doesnt sound that impressive or overwhelming.

Doth

Apr 2, 2009
http://www.menarebetterthanwomen.com/

Come on, we all know we men are superior in all ways that matter.
Women can be great entertainment though, so I can't see the reasoning for this move unless the entire point is to start controversy and with that awareness of the contest.

Shit, you people are such tools.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I don't see the problem here. It's not just a contest for the sake of winning, it's to be an IGN correspondent. IGN has the right to choose what kind of person they want to fill that position. Especially when by "kind" all they mean is a guy. It's not like they're only letting whites in or anything.

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
D_987 said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Well im a boy so i qualify for this contest, but honestly the prize sounds really lame. I dont want to meet peter jackson or the people from district9. In my group of friends its only girls who care about comi-con, so why cant they just take my place? I guess no one at IGN has a girlfriend? Do they employ women at IGN, so many questions come up now.
Jessica Chobot?

(I think thats her name?)
jessica chobot is a conservative, so yea, she is probably cool with sexism

Caliostro said:
Sounds gay.

...Literally, sounds like someone's only keen on being surrounded by the good'ol "meat fire hose" if you know what I mean... To each his own I guess...
RAPE IN IMMINENT

megapenguinx said:
Esc.Control said:
Number 2: If they had a contest open only to girls, no one would bat an eye. So why the double-standard?
Yeah, I'm finding a lot of double standards in equality talks these days. But I'd actually like an example in which a contest was open to only girls..
are you serious? think hard, REALLY hard.

okay woah, too hard.

there was one recently, it threw gasoline on the gay fire...

they also CONSTANTLY have girls contest for girly shit, like you know...girls shit. video games is serious buisness, and primarily made of mens, so why not?

i think its great, dude only means you dont have to hear constant complaints from your contest winner, zing!

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Well this is rather fucked up. However, I'm willing to bet no women are interested anyhow.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
hcig said:
are you serious? think hard, REALLY hard.

okay woah, too hard.

there was one recently, it threw gasoline on the gay fire...

they also CONSTANTLY have girls contest for girly shit, like you know...girls shit. video games is serious buisness, and primarily made of mens, so why not?

i think its great, dude only means you dont have to hear constant complaints from your contest winner, zing!
I guess I tune them out, but this seems like a bigger contest with a much bigger prize, people are going to be upset.
Also, I'm surprised no one has gotten in trouble yet for all the sexist jokes in this thread...

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
That's what you get by living in America hahaha... No seriously!

Human rights have never actually been of any real importance for me anyways.