New IGN Contest: No Girls Allowed

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
the baawwwwwing is going to be hilarious

in advance, i say that its their contest, their rules

Mockingjay

Mar 3, 2009
Small words? Well I've got two small words for you and one begins with 'F' and the other 'Y'.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Esc.Control said:
Number 2: If they had a contest open only to girls, no one would bat an eye. So why the double-standard?
This. This right here.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
Esc.Control said:
Number 1: This is obviously an attempt to generate controversy and thus press. Any press is good press, yeah?

Number 2: If they had a contest open only to girls, no one would bat an eye. So why the double-standard?
I second this, I mean (somewhat off topics but) there are women only car insurance companies, there are a lot of women only things just for the sake of it. There should be men only things to.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Therumancer said:
It would be more of an issue if say for example the contest was "No Fat Chicks" and required that female contestants send pictures.
They've had plenty of those - never heard of "Miss Video Game," eh?
That sounds like somthing that could cause cosplay related mental scars.

TheGhostOfSin said:
Esc.Control said:
If they had a contest open only to girls, no one would bat an eye. So why the double-standard?
This, very much so.
Girls get <url=http://www.diamond.co.uk>exclusive <url=http://www.sheilaswheels.com>stuff it's all good, guys get something just for them and it's sexist.

It seems to me that the whole equal rights issue is now the other way round...
That's only Car Insrurance though, it's hardly impressive. This is a contest involing Peter Jackson! Gender discrimination in somthing like this is what certaion people invented the term "gendercide" for.

TheGhostOfSin

Terrible, Terrible Damage.
May 21, 2008
Arrers said:
TheGhostOfSin said:
Esc.Control said:
If they had a contest open only to girls, no one would bat an eye. So why the double-standard?
This, very much so.
Girls get <url=http://www.diamond.co.uk>exclusive <url=http://www.sheilaswheels.com>stuff it's all good, guys get something just for them and it's sexist.

That's only Car Insrurance though, it's hardly impressive. This is a contest involing Peter Jackson! Gender discrimination in somthing like this is what certaion people invented the term "gendercide" for.
I dunno about you but I'd rather not pay a small fortune to be able to drive than meet some sweaty old guy with a beard, unless of course after meeting him you became such good friends that he offered to pay your insurance for you...

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Doesn't surprise me with IGN. Gamespy is going down the toilet. Once Flintlocke is done most likely their traffic is going to tank. So they come up with something lame to generate traffic. Considering the prize....really really really lame. I wouldn't accept money to see that fat tard.
Of course, if Gamespy hadn't gone lame, I might never have found The Escapist. Score!

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Not really a big deal. They aren't legally obligated to offer the contest to everyone. Getting mad about the contest being closed to women is like getting mad that it's closed to Canadians.

EDIT:
shophius said:
Small words? Well I've got two small words for you and one begins with 'F' and the other 'Y'.
Do you miss jokes often?

Feb 13, 2008
Ok, I'm torn at least two ways on this.

On one hand, having a "Male Only" contest is fair but why advertise it as such?
On the second hand, why the hell is it "Male only"?
On the third hand, have you read those restrictions? Basically IGN owns your entire trip and can sue you if you don't do what they want you to do for them and then sign away all your rights.
On the fourth hand, "The 50 States or Washington"?

Seriously, I suspect a viral marketing plan here, this is just too stupid for words.

If I was a real cynic, I'd say that the target group wouldn't be savvy enough to work out how much they are getting owned by IGN, and it's actually a plus point towards girls that they'd figure out the legal shafting they'd be getting from those rules.

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
Why is this called a "Contest"? We are not competing in anything... its just a free Raffle at best.
When i read contest i was looking for something i had to do to enter, like write, draw, come up with an idea, or something... but its just sign up and wait...

and the whole no girls thing... kinda lame and stupid. Like there arn't girls who read comics, come on.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
I hope they're doing it just to piss people off.

It's working... So, props to them.

Also, on a bit more serious note. It's their company and their contest so I don't see what the problem is...?

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
Either the prize will include female strippers and prostitutes or this is part of some homosexual conspiracy... Which makes entering a touch call. They probably intend to give out the prizes in a pillow fort with a "no girls allowed" sign on it.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
TheGhostOfSin said:
Arrers said:
TheGhostOfSin said:
Esc.Control said:
This, very much so.

I dunno about you but I'd rather not pay a small fortune to be able to drive than meet some sweaty old guy with a beard, unless of course after meeting him you became such good friends that he offered to pay your insurance for you...
Wait... you didn't think any of that was serious, right?