New Mass Effect 3 Screens Are Mighty Fowl

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
raankh said:
I really only have one word, but I guess I'll elaborate.

Meh.

I'm already not liking this. Bioware seems in brain-fart mode lately. They've suddenly forgotten how to make good games-- as opposed to interactive experiences with some gameplay elements.
Interactive experiences with some gameplay elements...you mean like Mass Effect 1?

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
erttheking said:
Interactive experiences with some gameplay elements...you mean like Mass Effect 1?
In ME1 the game is building a character, as it has been in so many RPGs. You figure out some whacky build (role) and pit it against the challenges set out in the story. To me that's what a computer role-playing game is about, and perhaps epitomised by the first two Fallout games.

As an addition to that, Bioware's dialogue system is great in my opinion-- as a story-telling device. It's not a good game mechanic and it's no replacement for the mechanics of building a character (ie many choices that create great diversity).

I understand catering to other audiences, and ME1 can certainly be played in other ways. ME2 not so much-- other Bioware games seem to follow this downward trend in player-caused complexity (ie the number of choices that have persistent effects -- as a part of game mechanics).

Thus, in ME3 I expect more of an FPS style shooter, in line with other modern shooters such as MW3 or BF3 but with the standard "good writing" attributed to Bioware. These images reinforce my opinion.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
raankh said:
erttheking said:
In ME1 the game is building a character, as it has been in so many RPGs. You figure out some whacky build (role) and pit it against the challenges set out in the story. To me that's what a computer role-playing game is about, and perhaps epitomised by the first two Fallout games.

As an addition to that, Bioware's dialogue system is great in my opinion-- as a story-telling device. It's not a good game mechanic and it's no replacement for the mechanics of building a character (ie many choices that create great diversity).

I understand catering to other audiences, and ME1 can certainly be played in other ways. ME2 not so much-- other Bioware games seem to follow this downward trend in player-caused complexity (ie the number of choices that have persistent effects -- as a part of game mechanics).

Thus, in ME3 I expect more of an FPS style shooter, in line with other modern shooters such as MW3 or BF3 but with the standard "good writing" attributed to Bioware. These images reinforce my opinion.
...so you were able to determine exactly what to expect from a game through five pictures...you know I don't get why people are jumping to conclusions that much, I can understand that a lot of people think that ME2 was streamlined and that it wasn't as good as ME1, but I have to say I liked it a lot more than ME1, I actually felt like I was doing something. I'm sorry, the story was better than ME2, but the combat was freaking awful, it felt clunky, forced and it was a chore to get through, I felt no satisfaction from it. And I'm sorry to me the first priority in a GAME is GAMEplay, story takes a backseat for me, if you can make it good and fit it in, good, but I pick up games because I want to play, not be told a story, we have books for that. From what I can see though, ME3 is attempting to balance the two out, you have to look more throughly than an article on the escapist, but they are including a large amount of environments and quite a few interesting developments have been leaked from the plot and are bringing back the old stats system. I could tell you more if you wish.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Andy Chalk said:

[The picture contains] a murderous cybernetic fowl from the Planet X
Obviously not, my friend. The creature is plainly King Rooster, Lord of All Things Fowl. Can you not see his crown of bone and the Great Ceremonial Wattle dangling from His Holy chin?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
How on earth does that enemy look anything like a chicken? Have you even SEEN a chicken before?
Seriously though, I don't see the resemblance.