New Nintendo Console "Confirmed" for E3

Futurenerd

The Man With the Golden Bun
Oct 28, 2009
mighty_wambat said:
yes, this is great news. i skipped the wii, if the wii2 has full backwards compatibility to the game cube then i am in at launch. for sure. this is awesome.
You do know the Wii 1 was backwards compatible with the gamecube right? If so what are you talking about. If not, I'm going to look at you with the "are you a wizard" face.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Innegativeion said:
I am... rather taken aback by this. New console generation (so to speak) starting already eh? Gonna have to start saving up...
Not a new console generation. Nintendo is just choosing to enter THIS console generation. Allow me to be the first person to welcome Nintendo to 2006!

The Gamecube had a good run I guess. Although after they started packaging it with shitty motion controls I lost interest.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Xanthious said:
Innegativeion said:
I am... rather taken aback by this. New console generation (so to speak) starting already eh? Gonna have to start saving up...
Not a new console generation. Nintendo is just choosing to enter THIS console generation. Allow me to be the first person to welcome Nintendo to 2006!

The Gamecube had a good run I guess. Although after they started packaging it with shitty motion controls I lost interest.
I would consider the console that raked in more profit than both the 360 and PS3, opened the floodgates for motion control (good or bad for gaming, kinect has made good use of it in other fields, and never would have opted for it if it wasn't competing with nintendo), shared many features with the new gen consoles like crappy internet browsers to be a part of said generation.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Stronger than the PS3 or Xbox?
No one says you're crazy, Nintendo.
But I sure am thinking it loudly.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Yawn. Over it.

After the novelty wore off I was done with the Wii. Shiner graphics won't change that.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Innegativeion said:
Xanthious said:
Innegativeion said:

I would consider the console that raked in more profit than both the 360 and PS3, opened the floodgates for motion control (good or bad for gaming, kinect has made good use of it in other fields, and never would have opted for it if it wasn't competing with nintendo), shared many features with the new gen consoles like crappy internet browsers to be a part of said generation.
My Dreamcast and PS2 had a shitty web browser too once upon a time. . . .Outside of a highly overrated gimmick the Wii was nothing more than a sad piece of almost decade old hardware that catered to the lowest common denominator.

Sure it competed financially with the current gen consoles but only by catering to the lowest common denominator errrrr the "casual market". Kinda in the same way Farmville will be competing with Portal 2.

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
As long as it's backwards compatible my prayers to the gods of nintendo have come true.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
Please don't cause the other companies to release a console! The Wii could use some improvements, but the graphical capabilities of the current generation is already putting enough strain on developers in terms of financing. Seriously, I know graphics can look better, but... do they need to?

Jas0913

Jan 16, 2010
"It's not a gimmick like the Wii." HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAA And from an anonymous source too....

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
meh, if ive learned anything, its not to trust the eastern games industry.

i guess i might get to have a look at the eurogamer expo later this year.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
BlacklightVirus said:
Baresark said:
I mean, the Wii is the indisputable king of this generation
Sorry I couldn't disagree more. So make a very subjective statement like that and then call it indisputable makes no sense. There are so many different things about consoles that you can't just say one is the king because a single aspect.
If you continued to read what I had written, I based that on sales numbers and profitability. Meaning that since day one, Nintendo has sold Wii's at a profit and they have outsold the other two consoles. There is nothing really subjective about my statement in the context that I put it in.

BlacklightVirus said:
Baresark said:
The only thing holding it back as a more valid gaming platform is the generation old graphics and system specs. This also made many developers not push their games to what the system is capable of doing, because there were plenty of great looking games on the Wii that got skipped out on. Now, they could create a system that technically rivals the current generation that is both affordable and profitable.
There is also the whole backwardness of motion controls. I don't know if you ever read Yahtzee's article on motion controls (it's a good read, go read it). One-day neural impulse actuators will be as common as mouses and we will control computers with out thoughts further reducing the time to relay commands to a computer. Motion controls are going backwards in terms of how long it takes to actually do what you want in a game. This is not to mention the controls are just fairly unreliable.
While I agree that the motion controls aren't perfect, the Wii had a good amount of games that are in fact great with the motion controls. Once again, this points to a company investing time and resources into a product that isnt' meant to just be on the top selling system of the generation. I mostly agree with Yahtzee, I find most games aren't as responsive as I would like them to be regardless. I come from the PC gamer area, and the response of PC controls tends to completely destroy anything on a console anyway.

Truehare

Nov 2, 2009
You know, I'm old enough to remember the days of the SNES hard drive and CD-ROM, not to mention the Virtual Boy. So I'll take that "significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360" statement with a grain of salt.

Not that it matters to me one way or the other, the NES was the last Nintendo console I've ever really cared for... though I´ll admit I really like playing bowling and Boom Blox on the Wii.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
Yay I'm excited. Loved the Wii but even now its starting to grow a little stagnant on me so I need this.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Considering how so many people are acting as if this is true, I'm going to laugh so hard if this turns out to be a false rumour.