New Nintendo Console "Confirmed" for E3

2up

Jun 15, 2009
I skipped the wii because I don't care for Nintendo's first party titles. However, I am very intrigued by Nintendo's new console and my purchase of it will depend on third party developer support and the type of games they create for the system.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Ha! I still have the list of people who quoted me in a another thread where I said it was time for a new generation of consoles! They disagreed.

In your faces! *Leo strut*

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Mikeyfell said:
somonels said:
The Wee Too?

I guess they need to beef up their gear now that both competitors provide the same capabilities and are much more capable. Or, perhaps, they have a new gimmick planned.
"Two" in Japanese is pronounced "Ni"

so the next Nintendo console will be called the Wii Ni
Damn you made me choke. Hee.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Baresark said:
This is exciting actually. I mean, the Wii is the indisputable king of this generation, and I say that not based on games (chill your roll till I'm done please), but based on sales and profitability. I don't think people understand that Nintendo makes consoles to sell them and make money. Well, guess who is number one based on the reason why companies exist?

The only thing holding it back as a more valid gaming platform is the generation old graphics and system specs. This also made many developers not push their games to what the system is capable of doing, because there were plenty of great looking games on the Wii that got skipped out on. Now, they could create a system that technically rivals the current generation that is both affordable and profitable. They win again. I can't wait to see what comes of this.
I'm not so sure, the wii sold because the motion control was unique so many people bought one for the novelty i'm not so sure they'll upgrade just for better hardware.
I'm with you, everyone hates gimmicks (they are fun for literally 5 minutes), but if you check out the better made games on it, the motion controls were just a single option. Pretty much every Nintendo made game, for example, gave you the option of the Wiimote, Classic Controller, or a Gamecube pad. The gimmick was an option on better made games.

But, I do not look forward to the gimmick this system will invariably employ.

ToxicOranges

Aug 7, 2010
It doesn't matter who the consoles aimed at.
It doesn't matter how powerful it claims to be.
It doesn't matter how cheap it is.
It doesn't matter whether or not it sucks in casual / hardcore gamers.

The first game for this console will be a Mario game, followed by a Zelda game, then a Metroid game...
Nintendo doesn't have a soul, it will just release whatever is guaranteed to sell untold squillions more copies and make them even more rich. So they can rehash and ruin your childhood franchises.

/rant

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Well I sincerely hope it's actually a HD console, not just a newer Wii. If that sonofabitch has motion control again I'll officially be pissed.

This is their chance to make a full 3D pokemon game people!! We must expect the worst and hope for the best.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Maybe it will be a console that I will actually buy?

Sorry Nintendo, you lost me with the Wii and unless you come up with something pretty damn impressive, I'm not gonna bite.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I find it funny that they describe the new console like "It's not going to be a gimmick like the Wii was!"

And yet, when the Wii first came out, everybody freakin' loved it. It was only until maybe a year after the release when people started calling motion controls a "gimmick".

The next Wii (Pii?) will probably, I dunno, make your TV a touchscreen that will be "soooo immersive!" and then later people will go "Gosh, it's such a gimmick! Who needs this carp?"

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Will there be new mario, zelda, and metroid games?

SOLD.

No other reasons to own a console.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Braedan said:
Lord Beautiful said:
They'd better not push Skyward Sword to this new console. Then again, if they do, that means I have no reason to keep a Wii, which means I can sell it.

somonels said:
The Wee Too?
Nah. It'll be the Uss.
Silly, It will be called the Wii-Wii.
No, it'll be the Wii3D, Wii-Wii-WiiD :D

Actually, motion control+3D sounds like a recipe for disaster. I hope they abandon both and go back to full controller, with some weird other gimmick. Maybe smell? That'd be interesting...

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
tehweave said:
GOD.

DAMMIT.

So... Here's my question. When Sony comes out with the PS4 and Microsoft comes out with the Xbox720, what will this mean for the online support of the previous systems? I just got a PS3 and if I have to get the new one just so I can keep up with the online support then I'm swearing off systems altogether and keeping up with my PC rig.

This was bound to happen eventually, I guess, but... Why, nintendo? Your Wii has sold more than any of your other systems. Why stop? I gotta ask.
They'll turn off the servers not long after the sequels come out to force you to buy the new games and systems. That's why they took away most multiplayer control away from gamers, because they can strongarm you into making purchases to keep your online play. Comanpanies have already done it with a couple games.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Okay first off, late 2012 sounds great. I just spent $250 on a 3DS, and I'm not ready to spend big on another platform this year.

Second, hurray for backwards compatibility. It's nice to see when a company does it right. I wonder if this means it will also be able to keep on playing GameCube games too? Wouldn't be a dealbreaker if it doesn't, but if it did, that would be extremely awesome.

Furthermore, considering some of the beautiful things Nintendo has managed to create graphically on the GameCube and the Wii, I can't wait to see what they do with some nice HD 720p power at their fingertips.

captaincabbage said:
This is their chance to make a full 3D pokemon game people!! We must expect the worst and hope for the best.
They already did two on the GameCube. That's about as full as you're going to get on a console as you're going to get, if the words of people at GameFreak stay accurate. 3DS is their chance to make a full 3D Pokémon game that's even more full than the two we saw on GameCube.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
It sounds about time, I honestly dont think the wii was a gimack but to each his own, I dont think nintendo should make a gamers only counsoul though and should probably have both motion and non motion controlers. Other than that Im sure it will be a good new system as it will have about what 4-5 years on the ps3 and xbox360. I suspect evan if they anounce it though it will still be another couple years until it comes out unless they pull what they did with the 3ds.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Captain Placeholder said:
The question I have though is what is the next round of consoles going to be called? The NEXT next gen?
They will be called next gen until they come out, and current gen when they are released. Honestly, people who still refer to PS3, 360, and Wii as "next gen" today astound me. They haven't been next gen for 5-6 years. I guess people don't know what next means, so here's a helpful reminder:

in the time, place, or order nearest or immediately succeeding

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
you mean like COD and Halo?

I dont see why nintendo gets all the hate where soney and microsoft escape the rage of critics, I mean yes their have been tons of similar zelda games but no one compains about a new god of war

Nov 24, 2010
Baresark said:
I mean, the Wii is the indisputable king of this generation
Sorry I couldn't disagree more. So make a very subjective statement like that and then call it indisputable makes no sense. There are so many different things about consoles that you can't just say one is the king because a single aspect.

Baresark said:
The only thing holding it back as a more valid gaming platform is the generation old graphics and system specs. This also made many developers not push their games to what the system is capable of doing, because there were plenty of great looking games on the Wii that got skipped out on. Now, they could create a system that technically rivals the current generation that is both affordable and profitable.
There is also the whole backwardness of motion controls. I don't know if you ever read Yahtzee's article on motion controls (it's a good read, go read it). One-day neural impulse actuators will be as common as mouses and we will control computers with out thoughts further reducing the time to relay commands to a computer. Motion controls are going backwards in terms of how long it takes to actually do what you want in a game. This is not to mention the controls are just fairly unreliable.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Maybe they've had this in the pipes for a while and were just waiting for Sony and Microsoft to blow money on their motion gimmicks. Clever idea pitching it as "not the Wii" I assume that they're trying to get gamers back that were big Gamecube customers but were annoyed at feeling ignored in the current gen.