New Nintendo Console "Confirmed" for E3

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
ToxicOranges said:
It doesn't matter who the consoles aimed at.
It doesn't matter how powerful it claims to be.
It doesn't matter how cheap it is.
It doesn't matter whether or not it sucks in casual / hardcore gamers.

The first game for this console will be a Mario game, followed by a Zelda game, then a Metroid game...
Nintendo doesn't have a soul, it will just release whatever is guaranteed to sell untold squillions more copies and make them even more rich. So they can rehash and ruin your childhood franchises.

/rant
sigh...this argument pisses me off, do you not realize this is what EVERYONE in the gaming industry does? Why stop selling products that sells, This is simple business logic. Why is that Nintendo gets in shit for this while every other producer can get away with it. hell, Nintendo has a hard enough time juggling what ip's they have already.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
If I remember correctly soney said the Ps3 would have a 9 year life span so I wouldent expect anything from them till like 2015

nintendo is probably going to be like soney and xbox and have two methods of control.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
ThePuzzldPirate said:
ToxicOranges said:
It doesn't matter who the consoles aimed at.
It doesn't matter how powerful it claims to be.
It doesn't matter how cheap it is.
It doesn't matter whether or not it sucks in casual / hardcore gamers.

The first game for this console will be a Mario game, followed by a Zelda game, then a Metroid game...
Nintendo doesn't have a soul, it will just release whatever is guaranteed to sell untold squillions more copies and make them even more rich. So they can rehash and ruin your childhood franchises.

/rant
sigh...this argument pisses me off, do you not realize this is what EVERYONE in the gaming industry does? Why stop selling products that sells, This is simple business logic. Why is that Nintendo gets in shit for this while every other producer can get away with it. hell, Nintendo has a hard enough time juggling what ip's they have already.

Agreed I mean just look at that top games on the game faqs bored for he xbox 360 games
1. 01 Call of Duty: Black Ops
2. 02 Mortal Kombat
3. 03 Marvel vs. Capcom 3
4. 04 Mass Effect 3
5. 05 Dragon Age II
6. 06 Halo: Reach
7. 07 Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
8. 08 Fallout: New Vegas
9. 09 Crysis 2
10. 10 Dynasty Warriors 7

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
vxicepickxv said:
I guess they the Wii stopped printing money.
After the Gamecube they needed the money boost :D
Dunno how they will make it backwards compatible...
And if it can do the Wii could it do the gamecube as well?
If they do that it truly shows they are good at backwards compatibility.

Gaming King

Apr 9, 2010
Man, bummer. I guess there won't be a Wii HD after all. I don't want a new console for a few reasons.

1. Money. I already can't afford a 3DS, although by 2012, if I still didn't have a job, I'd probably be in a mental hospital anyway.
2. Impact. They might make Sony and Microsoft follow suit. That would suck for everyone. Wallets would burn.
3. SUSPENSE!! Good GRIEF!! So frustrating! LATE 2012!? SERIOUSLY!?

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
tehweave said:
GOD.

DAMMIT.

So... Here's my question. When Sony comes out with the PS4 and Microsoft comes out with the Xbox720, what will this mean for the online support of the previous systems? I just got a PS3 and if I have to get the new one just so I can keep up with the online support then I'm swearing off systems altogether and keeping up with my PC rig.
If the Xbox is anything to go by, they should continue on for a good few years, and then it will go poof. I'd say your downloads would still have a good four years left in them.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
If this proves to be true, i will welcome back Nintendo with open arms.

...It's been a while old friend.

late 2012 though...jesus, what a long wait.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
danpascooch said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Verlander said:
Interested. I reckon they announce it at E3, and release it late 2012, before Microsoft or Sony can get to launch.
What, before 2005? Even if this is true (which it probably isn't, given how this rumour pops up every single year), this is Nintendo joining the current generation, not starting a new one.

Which means Nintendo is launching a new console 5 years after the release of the old ones for a much higher price, with a lower install base.
What? This doesn't make any sense, This isn't Nintendo "joining" the current generation, that was the Wii, which is starting to fail.

Making a more expensive console is how each new generation comes about, what makes you think it will have a lower install base?

Plus, I haven't seen a single article about Nintendo making a next generation console and I've been reading the headlines on this site every day for two years (two years the day after tomorrow)
The Wii is 7th generation in timing only - its hardware (the thing that defines generations) is purely 6th generation. Thus, this will be them finally joining the 7th generation. As such, its launching to compete with the 360 and Ps3. So it will launch with a higher price point and an install base of zero, versus the Ps3 and 360's 55 million by that point.
So does that mean that the Dreamcast was 6th Gen as well? Timing wise it was 5th Gen but it was as powerful as the PS2 or just under as powerful.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
I'm a bit skeptical. I'm don't really care for the Wii after what it's been doing, so I have more than enough reason to be skeptical now. "Significantly more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3"? Hmmm...

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Well, I was one of the suckers who 'just had to have a Wii' not really realizing that despite what Nintendo claims as being for the casual gamer or all ages, I shortly discovered why Wii now collects dust in my house: Shovelware.

I know all consoles have some level of 'crap' put out by development houses, but I can't recall any platform in my 20+ years of gaming that had more budget 'crap' than the Wii. Yes, there is some great platforming titles out there, but overall, wouldn't you agree that for the sheer volume of Wii titles out there, that an 'underwhelming' amount of them are actual AAA titles. Heck, we're still waiting for Zelda.

At least they are finally admitting to themselves that HD was a missed opportunity for them, and hopefully more onboard storage options.

And let's hope, please hope, that they make it easier to add friends. That ridiculous 20 something digit code to hook up with a buddy killed 1/2 of the expereince I could have had with friends. Who carries that number around to share? Lame.

LostNumber

Jul 17, 2009
This is actually a brilliant move on Nintendo's part, and I don't think there's any coincidence on the timing.

Microsoft and Sony have just invested themselves in motion controls to increase the lifespan of their consoles, so I think they're both in the earliest stages of console design (at most) for their next generation.

With a new console (especially if it is more powerful than the Xbox or PS3) coming soon, not only will it make some consumers that were planning to get a Kinect or Move decide to wait for the next generation, it will put Sony and Microsoft in a difficult position where they either have to stop focusing on their motion controls (which would end up being a loss for them) and rush out another console, or continue along their path and be left behind in the next generation.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
LeonLethality said:
It's not a gimmick like the Wii.
How the fuck was the Wii a gimmick?
The Wii's entire selling point was and still is motion controls. It has nothing going for it other than a library filled with third party shovelware which are all games based on the singular gimmick of motion controls provided by the Wii.

It's not a gimmick like the Wii.
Haha oh man that's funny, Nintendo. I bet next you're going to tell me that it won't get buried under a mountain of terrible third party shovelware and that you're actually going to bring it's online capabilities up to par with the PS3 and 360.

*rofl's hard*

radioactive lemur

May 26, 2010
So what? Nintendo hasn't been good since the 64 and I don't see that changing unless the new console a) has at least the option of normal controls and is not based entirely on a gimmicky motion sensor, b) has graphics are at LEAST as good as PS3 (that's charitable considering they really should be much better as it's being released in 2011/2012), and c) carry AAA pan-platform releases like COD and Assassin's Creed. If none of that changes, Nintendo will continue to be a tired relic kept on a steady life support drip of a Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon release every year or so.