New Overwatch Beta Patch Brings New Tracer Pose, Accidental Invisibility

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
I think the moral of this whole Tracer brouhaha is if you're able to see the backside of a human being, you're likely going to see an ass. Why? Because a human being has an ass, and said ass is located on the backside of said human being.

Can we grow up now and just move on with our lives?

*Ducks flamethrower (along with several hurled objects) and walks off-stage*

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
I'd say that the point of all this is frikking let a developer change whatever the hell they want. When a game is going through an open beta, the entire point is that they're seeking audience input. Beta's actively ask the community Hey do you like this character model, hey do you like this gun in the game. Someone saying no they don't and the team responding. " ARE WHAT BETAS ARE FOR "

Now blizzard changed it and didn't remove the sexy, they just changed it to be something sexy that the team liked more. Nothing wrong with that.

People like something and they say Mah Artistic purity getting abused by people.
People dislike something and they don't change. Boycott the're only products and I'm upset they didn't cater to me.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
TBH, I think the new pose looks ridiculous. The one they pulled looks much better and I can take it a bit more seriously.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Jack O said:
This is almost exactly the same pose only now she's raised her leg....what changed exactly?
Nothing. This seems like a middle-finger directly aimed at the SJW who raised a worthless stink over nothing in the first place.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I would like to say this is Blizzard trolling people, but I don't think that's really in them. Either way, I love Blizzard.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
As long as there's some booty in there, I'm all good.

I love me the booty.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
BX3 said:
Neverhoodian said:
The cynical part of me feels like this was just a big PR stunt, and they played us all like fiddles. Well played, Blizzard.
It was a huge PR stunt.

I don't know about anybody else, but the wafting smell of bullshit imitating from the story was why I detested it in the first place. They NEVER gave a damn about how the apparent sexiness of it. This new pose doesn't really change anything as far as my feelings toward Blizzard are concerned. But I will admit... this pose is cuter than the last one.

Flaery said:
Good thing Tracer is too much of a hopeless drunk to afford booty-reduction surgery. The booty is saved, long live the booty.

http://www.entravity.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/space-dandy-anime1.jpg
Always great to see another Space Dandy fan!

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
The pose makes her legs look long. Like really really freaking long. Ridiculously long.

Also I thought the game was supposed to be like Team Fortress 2 and not DotA. Why are people leaving punished? Can't someone just enter the server?

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
I challenge all of you to find where Blizzard actually said the pose was too sexy?
*grimaces*
Urg... fine, I'll clarify my stance, since you're lumping.

BX3 said:
I don't know about anybody else, but the wafting smell of bullshit imitating from the story was why I detested it in the first place. They NEVER gave a damn about how the apparent sexiness of it.
BX3 said:
I don't particularly mind that the pose got removed. I don't like that it got removed, because I think it's a cute pose, but whatever, that's one guy's opinion and it truly isn't all that important. What I take issue with is being BS'd, and man was that clarifying statement from them chocked full of it. I felt like my intelligence was being insulted, and it almost singlehandedly ruined my view of the game as the whole.

Exaggerated response, I admit, but all I could think when reading the statement and looking at the Tracer's overall design was "you can't honestly expect me to believe this?" They would've just been better off simply stating that they removed it because they didn't like it anymore, or better yet, just removing it and leaving it at that. I doubt many would've cared.
BX3 said:
For now though, meh, it's just a pose. They clearly still want her to have a small bit of sex appeal, otherwise they'd change the tights. The whole "We don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable" thing comes off as disingenuous though, and seems to have made the situation worse. If you no longer like the pose, just say you no longer like the pose, my dude. I don't like a lot of things about my work.

Honestly, the only thing that REALLY irks me about this news is that if my friend finds out about it (and he WILL find out), I'll have to hear him ***** for ANOTHER full on hour about censorship while farting out the term "SJW" numerously and un-ironically... again. That'll be fun....
^^^THIS... is my stance on the issue and why the story annoyed me in the first place. They were looking for a reason to remove it. Fine. They never liked the pose in the first place. Fine. They were responding to consumer feedback. Fine. idgaf. But this:

We'll replace the pose. We want *everyone* to feel strong and heroic in our community. The last thing we want to do is make someone feel uncomfortable, under-appreciated or misrepresented.

Apologies and we'll continue to try to do better.
Came off as disingenuous to me due to the context. They didn't have to directly state anything, the context in which it was made and the complaint that they sited implied such, which again, wouldn't have bothered me if I didn't know for almost fact that they never cared.

This is the statement from Kaplan. The art team were on the wall about this pose. They weren't overly satisfied with it from the beginning.

They never thought it was too sexy, they just used the complaint as an excuse to remove it.
The fact that they were using this as an excuse to remove the pose is what annoyed me. Just remove it. Siting that specific complaint and following it up with that statement is what incited all the rage because of its context, and I can't help but feel like they knew that. If they truly just plain old hated the pose and wanted to can it, why not just can it without the need for the statement? Well... because the end result got people talking about it.

Stuff like that grosses me out and I don't like it. It's not even a big deal, I'll admit that, I just didn't like the clumsy-ass way they handled it.

reciprocal

Jun 4, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
Naldan said:
Remember when creatives didn't contradict themselves from statement to statement, including releases of something?

OK, me neither, but I find this ridiculous. How anything of them has any credibility anymore is beyond me regarding creative content.
BX3 said:
It was a huge PR stunt.

I don't know about anybody else, but the wafting smell of bullshit imitating from the story was why I detested it in the first place. They NEVER gave a damn about how the apparent sexiness of it. This new pose doesn't really change anything as far as my feelings toward Blizzard are concerned. But I will admit... this pose is cuter than the last one.
reciprocal said:
I'm sorry but the first response from Kaplan was an apology and a promise to remove the pose to sate a poster who thought that the pose was too sexy for Tracer. Blizzard may not have thought the pose itself was too sexy and were likely going to replace it, but they APOLOGISED to the poster and removed the pose RELATIVELY QUICKLY. Show me where another poster has gotten such a response.

I'm withholding judgement until I see Blizzard's response when someone else complain about this pose or other poses. Heck, I'll wait and see if a technical complaint gets a similar response.
I challenge all of you to find where Blizzard actually said the pose was too sexy?

They were looking for a reason to remove it since the beginning. They seemed to regret putting the pose in since the beginning.

As the game director, I have final creative say over what does or does not go into the game. With this particular decision, it was an easy one to make?not just for me, but for the art team as well. We actually already have an alternate pose that we love and we feel speaks more to the character of Tracer. We weren?t entirely happy with the original pose, it was always one that we wrestled with creatively.
This is the statement from Kaplan. The art team were on the wall about this pose. They weren't overly satisfied with it from the beginning.

They never thought it was too sexy, they just used the complaint as an excuse to remove it.

Kaplan's vague initial statement of:

We'll replace the pose. We want *everyone* to feel strong and heroic in our community. The last thing we want to do is make someone feel uncomfortable, under-appreciated or misrepresented.

Apologies and we'll continue to try to do better.
was literally just politeness. Believe it or not, when you're representing a company, you HAVE TO BE NICE.
Politeness? Okay, if you can show me one post that complained about a character balance that got the same response as Kaplan's first quote and also got the character skilled tweaked, I'll believe you.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
Neverhoodian said:
Hmmmm...

*Attempts pose*

Whoa-whoa-WHOOOOAAAA!

Jesus, I can't hold that for more than a few seconds.

So Blizzard removes the old pose because they claim it over-sexualized Tracer...only to replace it with one straight out of a World War II pin-up? The cynical part of me feels like this was just a big PR stunt, and they played us all like fiddles. Well played, Blizzard.
i'm beginning to start thinking tracer is actually a half-human-half-carrot since her legs are orange with no tail bone and in a dramatic twist she will find out that she has comitted cannibalism throughout her entire life because her favourite food is carrot soup, causing an existencial crisis that ends with her burrying herself under ground to go live with her own kind

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
WinterWyvern said:
Is this..... is this for real?

They actually made her pose SEXIER???

.....Did Blizzard troll us all or what??
I know, this is actually pretty funny to me and I wasn't even bothered by the removal much myself. But hey if no one actually complains about this one, isn't it a better pose to make people feel heroic?