New Pac-Man TV Series Could Tackle Racism

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
Where did they get racism, social commentary, and "reluctant hero" about a pie man that eats balls?
Clearly he's a male prostitute who munches on balls and needs "power pellets" just to take away the pain of living... All the while he's hunted by the ghosts of his past...

EDIT: and Ms. Pacman isn't a separate character at all...

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Has this bloke ever played Pacman, I doubt a big yellow ball that devours ghost and ingests drugs all day is going to be able to teach all the kiddies about important social issues.

Oh, but it's in 3D...because another pointless dimension can make up for lacking quality.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Damn it he's right! When I first played Pac-Man I totally got the social commentary vibe, the story of a reluctant hero, the ostracizing he must go through.

This is truly going to be the vision that Packy's designers had for him when that little yellow pizza pie was invented. This could be a show for the ages, one that touches upon all the obstacles people face in their daily lives as yellow ball shaped things.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
I officially declare this the most insane gaming-to-mass-media idea since Uwe Boll's entire filmography. How, exactly, would one make PAC-FREAKING-MAN into a socially relevant cartoon? The very idea spells ratings poison to begin with, so good luck finding a network who'll air it. And even if it DID air, you'd at best get lookie-loos who want to see the madness, and at worst be beaten out in the ratings by an infomercial.

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
Pacman. Eats. Dots.

That's it. No depth or story. At all. Just an amusing game where you eat dots.

Why do people need to tack on stuff like this!?

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
I'd imagine it would be a show about drug abuse or something.

"But, Pacman, you can't keep on eating the pills! Please stop! You're ruining your life!"

"I've gotta, baby. Else the ghosts win..."

Yeaaaaaaaaaargh.

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
Get Christopher Nolan to re-imagine it, Pacman is a drug addicted parapsychologist who seeks to destroy any ghost he meets and needs vitamin C to prevent him from crashing out and being non functional.

Yeah could work, also racism is prevalent in the world of pacman! They want to kill him because he is different!

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
ImprovizoR said:
Dear God people are fuckin stupid. How the fuck did we as a species last this long is beyond me.
I find myself wondering the same each and every day, my friend.

OT: No... just... no. It's like I want him to make this just so someone can grab him by the scruff of his neck and rub his nose in it. I'm all for sending messages and progressive ideas and such, but using Pac-Man for that? What's his next idea, Adventures in Sex Education starring Space Invaders?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Why do we have to constantly deal with "reluctant heroes who deal with social issues". I am tired of this kind of thing, as it gets stereotypical and ridiculous, I do not need politics and someone's attitudes on morality to constantly intrude on my escapism... what's more I'd really like them to try and leave stuff from my childhood more or less alone. I mean Pac-Man had his own cartoon (as people have shown) and it was a train wreck then, and it's not going to be any better now since really the game wasn't really intended to have anything except the most general setup behind it. Trying to make Pac Man deep ruins the simplicity and innocence of the entire thing.

What's more when it comes to issues like racism, I think people need to stay off of it. Generally speaking real racism is dead in the US except for a radical fringe. It exists mostly as a political rallying point more than anything. Most of the issues involving "race" are actually sub-cultural issues, and defy any easy "right and wrong" resolution. Today's issues revolve more around things like minorities only selling property to other minorities to preserve things like "Chinatown districts" and so on, a practice which is illegal, but treads on some shaky legal ground because of all of the minority rights actions of the past. Then you have stuff like Bill Cosby is always going on about, how the oppertunities are there, but if your sub-culture prevents you from taking advantage of them, that's your problem rather than that of society. These issues do not work in the context of a fantasy morality fable, and really I figure anyone, even a kid, watching something like "Pac Man" is doing so for escapism, to get away from having to think about stuff like that for a while.

Basically this seems like a bad idea to me on every conceivable level.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Okay, let's check out the article

wait... umm... what

Hahahahahah

Well, this looks like it could be the funniest thing to come out on television in years, I am looking forward to seeing it.

dicai

Jun 4, 2009
Pacman was a game with so much backstory, they would probably film the prequel about how the ghosts became ghosts, the original architect of the maze, and the origin of the strange pellet material.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
3D pacman Cartoon... hmm...

This is going to either look like the 3D pac-man games(hopefully) or the bastard Child of Beyond Good and Evil and Wind Waker

OT:
John Funk said:
A Marvel movie producer wants to revive the Pac-Man TV series in 3D, and he wants it to have more depth than just fighting ghosts: It could tackle social issues like racism, too.
This is going to be rather hard to do, considering the main character is colored yellow.

What? i'm just sayin

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Starke said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Where did they get racism, social commentary, and "reluctant hero" about a pie man that eats balls?
Clearly he's a male prostitute who munches on balls and needs "power pellets" just to take away the pain of living... All the while he's hunted by the ghosts of his past...

You read that VG cats comic haven't you?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
Starke said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

You read that VG cats comic haven't you?
I'd completely forgotten about it until you mentioned it, but yes, I did years ago.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
UGH! If this is really the sort of shit Avi Arad thinks up about Pac-Man, I think he needs to get out of the business. Really, rascism, "social commentary" how fuckin' stupid can you be.....(sigh)...My head hurts.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
UGH! If this is really the sort of shit Avi Arad thinks up about Pac-Man, I think he needs to get out of the business. Really, rascism, "social commentary" how fuckin' stupid can you be.....(sigh)...My head hurts.