New Patch Gives Duke Nukem Pockets

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Triforceformer said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Triforceformer said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
I'll say what I said in the other post about this.

Four weapons is still not enough. Add a selection wheel that lets us hold all weapons then we'll talk.

Really I can't see how hard this is for them: Instead of pressing Y to switch weapon how about holding Y that brings up a selection wheel that has say, 12 slots? Then while holding Y scroll around using the analog stick to the weapon you want and release Y to select said weapon. Honestly, how hard can that be?
That would break the balance in all of the levels on your knee with a sickening crack is the problem. It could be a cheat code, sure, but the fact of the matter is that the levels in the game were not made with a weapon wheel in mind. The 4 weapon system is what Gearbox found that made you feel less limited while still not making the game pathetically easy.
I'm going to just throw this out and guess you never played the originals?
I'm guessing you didn't read a damn thing I just said, did you?
Yes. Yes I did, but the original Duke Nukem's allowed you to carry all the weapons in the game, not to make the game easy but because it was a fun, arcade shooter, the game isn't to be taken seriously. Which is my point, I'm not suggesting the selection wheel because I want to be made easy but because I want it to have the same arcade, over the top feel the originals had.
And I said that adding the weapon wheel to DNF specifically would break the game balance horribly. They would need to seriously re-tool the entire game for it to work well with a weapon wheel.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Triforceformer said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Triforceformer said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Triforceformer said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:

Four weapons is still not enough. Add a selection wheel that lets us hold all weapons then we'll talk.

Really I can't see how hard this is for them: Instead of pressing Y to switch weapon how about holding Y that brings up a selection wheel that has say, 12 slots? Then while holding Y scroll around using the analog stick to the weapon you want and release Y to select said weapon. Honestly, how hard can that be?
That would break the balance in all of the levels on your knee with a sickening crack is the problem. It could be a cheat code, sure, but the fact of the matter is that the levels in the game were not made with a weapon wheel in mind. The 4 weapon system is what Gearbox found that made you feel less limited while still not making the game pathetically easy.
Yes. Yes I did, but the original Duke Nukem's allowed you to carry all the weapons in the game, not to make the game easy but because it was a fun, arcade shooter, the game isn't to be taken seriously. Which is my point, I'm not suggesting the selection wheel because I want to be made easy but because I want it to have the same arcade, over the top feel the originals had.
And I said that adding the weapon wheel to DNF specifically would break the game balance horribly. They would need to seriously re-tool the entire game for it to work well with a weapon wheel.
You know what, I'm not even arguing about this. You never played the originals and that's exactly why you can't see where I'm coming from. If you have Xbox LIVE and have some spare MSP you should pick up Duke Nukem 3D, it's a really fun game and playing it will let you see just exactly the point I'm trying to make.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Triforceformer said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Triforceformer said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Triforceformer said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:

You know what, I'm not even arguing about this. You never played the originals and that's exactly why you can't see where I'm coming from. If you have Xbox LIVE and have some spare MSP you should pick up Duke Nukem 3D, it's a really fun game and playing it will let you see just exactly the point I'm trying to make.
I have played Duke Nukem 3D. I've beaten it. It works with the weapon wheel and is challenging with it because the game was designed around it. If Gearbox just added the weapon wheel to DNF like you want them to, I guarantee you it would not be as fun as you imagine it'd be. Because the game was designed around the two weapon limit, with a little leeway for the upcoming 4 weapon inventory. Just letting you have all the weapons at once with how DNF is designed would not work in terms of keeping the game fun and challenging.

Again, I still feel that it should be a cheat code at the very least. But these levels were not made for 13 weapons at once.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Thank you gear box for listening and doing something about it :). Makes me glad to know that companies are willing to but some extra work in, I know it ain't easy but it makes me love ya more.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Triforceformer said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Triforceformer said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Triforceformer said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Triforceformer said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:

I have played Duke Nukem 3D. I've beaten it. It works with the weapon wheel and is challenging with it because the game was designed around it. If Gearbox just added the weapon wheel to DNF like you want them to, I guarantee you it would not be as fun as you imagine it'd be. Because the game was designed around the two weapon limit, with a little leeway for the upcoming 4 weapon inventory. Just letting you have all the weapons at once with how DNF is designed would not work in terms of keeping the game fun and challenging.

Again, I still feel that it should be a cheat code at the very least. But these levels were not made for 13 weapons at once.
Maybe, I realise I'm mostly thinking like this because of nostalgia but I still think being able to carry every weapon would make the game more fun. If it did make the game too easy then Gearbox could always patch the game and make enemies a bit stronger and increase the numbers. Even if they didn't you could always just turn the difficulty up. Also it doesn't really matter how many weapons Duke carries, he's still die pretty damn fast.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Once more, they're adding stuff that the should have included from the start. Hell, they don't even ADD content that's demanded and expected properly. Four guns? Seriously? And then you need to pay for DLC that actually goes with the campy parodies that Duke needed to use to survive in this day and age?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Ha ha, yes! Called it!

I bet that when I get around to playing it two or three years from now it'll be halfway playable.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
They're only 268 patches away from making the game playable.

Yay, I guess?

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
I can see why having all weapons in the campaign will break it as it currently is designed, but why not having all weapons in multiplayer?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Triforceformer said:

Precisely what would they have to ACTUALLY change?

Be specific.

It's not like Duke Nukem Forever is some perfectly balanced game where if you change an element like the weapons inventory then the entire game is screwed? No.

Nothing has really changed, you still have two weapons except... you then have two more.

Actually it seems a hell of a lot more like DNF was NOT designed around the two-weapon limit from comments on frustration with level design and not having the right weapon. Remember this is a game 12 years in the making and this two-weapon-limit was only revealed about DNF in the past 6 months before release.

"keeping the game fun and challenging."

Wait... when was DNF ever that? The almost universal complain is the 2 weapon limit and the conclusion is that it is not fun or challenging.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
hmmm thats still not 8 I'm sorry but its just such a bad game and this it's just to late for a patch to fix this they should already have had this in the game

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
wow. 4 weapons. sounds a bit better. but still will not change my mind that this game sucks.
i rather have this kind of patch (and as few others already stated):

- healthmeter like we used to have in the original.
- armor suit (non regenerating)
- can carry all weapons
- hidden secrets
- weapons should have the same ammo count as in duke 3d
- jet pack

once they would change that, the game might be fun then.