New Pokemon Black & White Trailer Reveals Triple Battles, Release Date

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
What would truly be innovative instead of just smacking more and more Pokémon into the same battle would be if you added actual, colaborative moves. Combine two attacks to create new awesome moves, it'd be like cooking in Paper Mario. I'd love a feature like that.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
tomtom94 said:
While I think the Pokemon themselves look increasingly stupid, I think the addition of 3v3 battles and decent graphics might make it a worthwhile purchase.
I've always found this odd.

The original game had pokemon like Mr. Mine and Jynx.

Yet folks say the new stuff is stupid.

The game has always had a mix of good ideas and bad ideas in creature design. Something for everyone.

Ulquiorra4sama said:
What would truly be innovative instead of just smacking more and more Pokémon into the same battle would be if you added actual, colaborative moves. Combine two attacks to create new awesome moves, it'd be like cooking in Paper Mario. I'd love a feature like that.
Balancing that would be a nightmare. The entire reason the games are still relevant is they've balanced them to hell and back.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
It looked like the middle one on the player's side during the 3v3 battle was teh 2nd form of the fire starter, and in the middle for the enemy, it looked like another nosepass form.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
John Funk said:
And please, they'll grow on you. They always do :p Also, counterpoint [http://nerfnow.com/comic/302].
It's the sad but simple truth. Oh, to be a child and be able to look upon the world with wide-eyed wonder rather than hardened skepticism.

*Sigh* :-(

Tellgraith said:
I wanna see another Pokemon Snap for Wii. That was a great game, and it would definitely fit the Wii.
THIS! Absolutely this!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The game looks pretty sweet but I only 4 of the new Pokemon look good to me. I'll probably still get this though...

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
Omg Squee.

*Ahem* Well, I can't really say much else. Double battles were my forte, and I can't wait for Triple, I called the mugshots while talking to a friend, I'm so fucking thrilled about that, and the whole damn thing just looks awesome. I'm thinking I'll import it, just to see what they do.

darthricardo

May 7, 2010
Singing Gremlin said:
Right, I'm calling it. First two pokemon, now three. We'll be seeing full pokemon armies in a turned based (or possibly even real time) strategy game before long.

Catch them, Train them, Battle them, Rule them.

For the first time ever, you will be able to catch and deploy over one thousand on-screen pokemon as, starting with only a single pokemon you build a squad, and then an army capable of defeating the corrupt, tyrannical cabal that is the elite four. As you progress you shall defeat, one by one, the 'gyms' and their lackeys that keep the lands of Johto in check. Will you free the people and their pokemon from the yoke of oppression, or use the gyms to supply you with a stream of new, fanatical recruits?

The fate of the world is in your hands.
I would buy the hell out of that game. That'd be sweet.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I'm surprised to see so many people going nuts over the 3v3 thing. It's like trying to sell using the WiiMote to aim the Hookshot as an innovation for the Zelda series. I mean really... it's basically an old idea from a generation or two back, except now they've added another number. Has the Pokemon series really gotten so bland that such a thing is considered bold and innovative?

Frankly, I got bored when the third generation was coming out. It felt like they were just re-releasing the same game I had bought twice already only with a couple of minor improvements. The Pokemon series has innovated less during its lifetime than Left 4 Dead did with just one sequel, and I'm always seeing people gripe about how such-and-such series is just the same game over and over again. Yet despite that, people are always doing back-flips every time a new Pokemon is coming out.

I don't know which is worse... the fact that a series I used to love has long-since turned into a blatant cash cow, or the fact that the fans of the series are so eager to keep that cow healthy.

Darkstar370

Nov 5, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Frankly, I got bored when the third generation was coming out. It felt like they were just re-releasing the same game I had bought twice already only with a couple of minor improvements.
Re-releasing the same game?! You obviously never played them.
Here's what Bulbapedia has to say about it:
Through its incompatibility with Generation I and Generation II, Generation III enhanced the Pokémon world the most yet, bringing about the most changes to the world of Pokémon. The advances include:

* The addition of 135 new Pokémon, the most added since Generation I, bringing the total to 386. Many new Pokémon have previously unseen type combinations, while only two of them are related by evolution to older Pokémon.
* The addition of 103 new moves, bringing the total to 354.
* Pokémon may now have one or two of 77 different abilities which can change the tide of battle.
* The Pokémon storage system has changed from a crude, text-based interface to a full-color graphical user interface. Boxes, while remaining at 14, now have 10 extra spaces, allowing for storage of 140 additional Pokémon (for a total of 420 Pokémon).
* The introduction of Pokémon Contests, where Pokémon show off their style in one of five Contest categories, with Contest stats enhanced by Pokéblocks.
* A brand-new region, Hoenn, with its own set of eight Gym Leaders and Elite Four. Player characters are also different from before.
* Seven new Poké Ball variants, replacing those found in Johto.
* New villainous teams, Team Aqua and Team Magma, whose focus is on capturing the legendary Pokémon Kyogre and Groudon, respectively.
* Weather conditions, introduced before, can now be found on the field and activate at the start of battle, while one more, hail, has been added.
* Double battles, where both sides use two Pokémon at a time, introduced.
* Communication capabilities with the e-Reader to activate certain events.
* All handheld Generation III games have a framerate of 60, allowing for smoother animations.
* International linking is made possible. However, due to lack of popularity or knowledge of such capability, most players have the idea that it was only implemented in Generation IV.

Major alterations from Generation II include:

* A complete overhaul of the Pokémon data structure; Pokémon now have an individual personality value which can range up to a number above four billion. Abilities and natures, also newly introduced, are determined based on this value, while the IV system has been overhauled for greater variance (0-31 rather than 0-15 as it was before). Shininess is now based on a calculation between the personality value and Original Trainer's Trainer ID number and secret ID number with the same rarity.
* An overhaul of the Berry system introduced in Generation II: old Berries rejected in favor of Berries which grow individually as plants and can be picked and planted elsewhere. The effects of the first ten new Berries are similar to the ten Generation II Berries.
* Each Pokémon has its own status screen sprite, for ease of use in the party screen or PC.

Further additions in FireRed and LeafGreen include:

* Wireless communication between games (requires adapter boxed with FireRed and LeafGreen).
* The ability to move multiple Pokémon in the PC at once.
* The Sevii islands, a collection of nine islands that contain many Pokémon otherwise only found in the Johto Region.

Further additions in Emerald include:

* Tag battles, where two opponent Trainers encounter the player at once and battle in a double battle.
* A Battle Frontier, adding to the original Battle Tower, and featuring Trainers who head each facility.
Yep. No changes from the previous generation's at all.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
The last time I played Pokemon I was able to dominate most of the competition with one pokemon I used constantly until I reached the Elite Four and they handed me my ass, but it looks like that won't even be possible with this game. The reason I stopped playing Pokemon was because it was too easy to beat. This one looks like it may grab me back with its newfound difficulty.

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
Same shit, different game. 2v2 battles weren't even all that impressive, so I don't see why they would bother with 3v3? At this rate we'll see 6v6 battles in Pokemon Super Double Platinum Gold Diamond version five years from now.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
I hope that online trading is better implemented....I hate the whole "Send Your Pokemon off and Demand a certain level etc" why can't we just quickly transfer etc.

If they make Online Trading etc actually fun I may dip into this game....

Knorke

Apr 3, 2008
JoJoDeathunter said:
OT: Despite the fact that I'm already feeling confused about what will happen during triplet battles, as a pokefan I can say to this...

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

A wee bit off-topic here but as a anime enthusiast I have to ask:
Which anime?