New "Shockwave" Engine Design Solves Energy Crisis

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
RagingNinja said:
thaluikhain said:
FarleShadow said:
I'm sorry, but I'm getting more annoyed about every little invention that 'solves the X crisis' while still using oil.

No people, recycling or Shockwaving isn't saving the world, its just not screwing it up as fast. End of!
Assuming that it works at all?

Reduces petrol consumption by 90%? IE, 10 times most efficient than what we have now?

According to this article, current engines are only 15% efficient...doesn't this mean that this engine is 150% effective? Um...
Math fail. It is possible for something to be 150% more efficient than something else. It means it does more, using less resources.
Read what I said again. The article appears to be claiming an efficiency of 150%. IE, it uses 150% of the total energy, not that it's half again as good as something else.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Sweet so make a working engine that produces some HP and Torque numbers and compare it to an existing engine and see how the figures stack up.

otherwise color me uninterested in theorycrafting.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
BabySinclair said:
20 to 1 it gets bought by OPEC or a major car company and never sees the light of day
Because obviously car companies would have no motivation to sell cars that use 90% less fuel than their competitors, and it's not like opec nations wouldn't mind cutting production to maintain current prices and have their oil reserves last 10 times longer.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Is it jsut me or is this what you get if you looked a wankel engine and at a turbine and thought, i wonver that happens if we combined them, leaning towards the wankel end.

Jags concept hybred supercar was ataggeringly efficent using turbines.

Shiftysnowdog

Nov 7, 2006
Excellent, I'll take ten.

Wouldn't be surprised if this thing gets buried like the Tweel though. How many jobs is this mans engine going to slash?

dakorok

Dec 8, 2010
thaluikhain said:
RagingNinja said:
thaluikhain said:
FarleShadow said:
I'm sorry, but I'm getting more annoyed about every little invention that 'solves the X crisis' while still using oil.

No people, recycling or Shockwaving isn't saving the world, its just not screwing it up as fast. End of!

Reduces petrol consumption by 90%? IE, 10 times most efficient than what we have now?

According to this article, current engines are only 15% efficient...doesn't this mean that this engine is 150% effective? Um...
Math fail. It is possible for something to be 150% more efficient than something else. It means it does more, using less resources.
Read what I said again. The article appears to be claiming an efficiency of 150%. IE, it uses 150% of the total energy, not that it's half again as good as something else.
Your logical breakdown is in your conversion. If it takes 10 units of petrol for this engine to generate the same power that a piston engine takes 100 units to generate, then that's 90 units less, or 90%.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Why did I see the word 'engine' and automatically think of something you base a game off of and not what you use to power a car?
Because this is a video game website.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
dakorok said:
thaluikhain said:
RagingNinja said:
thaluikhain said:
FarleShadow said:

Your logical breakdown is in your conversion. If it takes 10 units of petrol for this engine to generate the same power that a piston engine takes 100 units to generate, then that's 90 units less, or 90%.
Yeah, got that, but that's still producing 10 times the amount of energy, compared to the other engine, right?

And if the other engine is producing 15% of the total possible, which this article seems to be saying (and is in line with what I've heard of current petrol engines), than this one is producing 150% of the total possible energy, right?

EonEire

Feb 7, 2008
aegix drakan said:
Oh PLEASE let this go public. PLEASE let the gas companies NOT put this one out of business.
Not gonna happen this will be killed as soon as the bribes hit. And that's not a conspiracy, that's just good business.

Circleseer

Aug 14, 2009
I followed the link to the original article, from Newscientist.

I do not see a mention of a 90% decrease in fuel consumption there. Could someone please point out how they came to that percentage?

A quote from the original article:

"The design does away with many of the components of a conventional engine, including pistons, camshaft and valves. This makes it much smaller and lighter than a conventional engine. A car fitted with the new engine could be up to 20 per cent lighter overall, Müller claims. By eliminating losses associated with mechanical components, it will also make cars more fuel-efficient, he says."

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Still a nice invention, though.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Ok, that's pretty cool. Why hasn't this idea been come up with before - I mean, where are the car companies' research funds going?! If it works well enough, it could be pretty sweet, and might even make alternative fuels easier to deploy - hydrogen, for example.

danpascooch said:
This doesn't make any sense... how do they direct the force of the ignited gas to only one direction? Wouldn't the explosion provide an equal torque clockwise and counterclockwise thus keeping the turning stationary?
No, the curves in the channels create vectored emissions. Think of how a wind-turbine works, or a water turbine. Similar idea.

Greg Tito said:
I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I suppose it's possible that a drive shaft could also be attached to this engine to eventually transfer the energy to the wheels of a car. What's not clear is whether this shockwave engine will produce enough torque to start a heavy car moving from 0 mph, but hopefully the reduced weight of the vehicle would make that possible.
It's about powering hybrid vehicles - the idea being you use it as a generator (he says 25kW, apparently suitable for a utility or goods vehicle though I'm not sure of that) to burn your fuel more efficiently than a traditional engine does, for the purposes of generating electricity that would then be used to drive the electric motors that actually make the vehicle go. Not as a direct driver of the wheels itself. I think an aspect of this system is that it generates little torque - problematic if you're trying to shift a heavy vehicle, but fine for spinning magnets in coils!

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
For some reason all I can think about is Iron Man suit when I see a disc shaped energy thingy.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Very cool. Just out of interest, why has nobody done it before, I mean, with the huge push to waste less energy it just seems to make sense... :S

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
Using the word percentage, largely depends on the words used in its context.

If Engine A gets 20 MPG and Engine B gets 40 MPG, you can state:
Engine B is 100% more efficient then Engine A. or. Engine A is 50% less efficent then Engine B.
If Engine C gets 30 MPG:
Engine C is 50% more efficient then Engine A.

But I still don't see 150% in this article, only 150 years..

jonnosferatu

Mar 29, 2009
Shiftysnowdog said:
Excellent, I'll take ten.

Wouldn't be surprised if this thing gets buried like the Tweel though. How many jobs is this mans engine going to slash?
The Tweel failed to take off commercially because of limitations openly stated by Michelin on its release. The idea's still around and being used in some (generally higher-level) hardware for which cost, noise, and heat are of less concern (e.g. lunar equipment, wheelchairs, etc.).

Istvan said:
BabySinclair said:
20 to 1 it gets bought by OPEC or a major car company and never sees the light of day
Because obviously car companies would have no motivation to sell cars that use 90% less fuel than their competitors, and it's not like opec nations wouldn't mind cutting production to maintain current prices and have their oil reserves last 10 times longer.
Car companies have plenty of motivation to sell fuel-efficient cars, but the people in charge of actually distributing the oil have very little salient reason to stretch the supply out and a considerable reason not to; unless there's a background financial deal of which I'm not aware, their income scales directly with total volume (which is constant) and inversely with time (which is not). If you're going to make the same amount of money regardless of how fast you shift your inventory, it makes very little sense for you to sell it slowly to keep a steady stream of reduced income when you have the option of selling it quickly, investing the difference, and living off of the dividends.

GBlair88

Jan 10, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Why did I see the word 'engine' and automatically think of something you base a game off of and not what you use to power a car?
Because you're a geek?

Yeh that's the first thing that came to my mind as well. Though to be fair this is a gaming website so it's reasonable to assume the article is about a game engine.

Jan 27, 2011
EonEire said:
aegix drakan said:
Oh PLEASE let this go public. PLEASE let the gas companies NOT put this one out of business.
Not gonna happen this will be killed as soon as the bribes hit. And that's not a conspiracy, that's just good business.
...Yeah, good for business, bad for everyone else. >_>

And am I the only one who believes they'd kill the guy if he refuses the bribe, just to keep this kind of tech off the market?