New SimCity Will Require Always-On Internet - UPDATED

Mauso88

A Simply Dignified Manly Man.
Feb 3, 2011
EA have ruined another fantastic franchise in the name of greed and paranoia, can we just stop giving them our money so they can go bankrupt and cease sucking the gaming industry of any worth and/or relevance?

arnoldthebird

Sep 30, 2011
There needs to be a single-player mode that let's you play offline, Diablo 3 and it's Battlenet requirements are ridiculous enough as it is. I hope this isn't the future of PC gaming, always online is not good when your internet drops out

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
Looks like EA is more than eager to shove their something up my rear other thing if I buy this game. Imagine that.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
That's a damn shame to hear, I guess I won't be buying this. I don't really want to play SimCity with other people and if they're going to force me to do that (and download Origin) then I guess I'll spend my money elsewhere.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
I seriously have more of a problem with the origin requirement then the internet requirement (I still havent installed it). It would be nice to have a single player but I think having others to connect with would be worth it and hey, if you dont have the internet, simcity 4 still works great while you wait for your friendly neighborhood hackers to disable the online because, they will.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Hrm, graphically it does look very nice from what i've seen so far, but lets consider all the facts here first.

Always-on DRM is annoying, plain and simple, maybe the net goes down, or you dont want to be or simply cant be connected all the time when you wish to play, but its not a deal-breaker. So we probably could live with the always-on drm thing, but why am i forced into a Multiplayer version? I mean having the option is one thing, but why do i have to play with literally thousands of other Players doing their stuff in their cities? Do i get to walk around in other People's Cities? Or can they look at mine? Trade ressources and stuff? Wait a minute..

Thats Cities XL all over again. All it now needs is a monthly subscription for all that and its exactly the same thing. So if i consider having the choice between a game which visually looks very similar but can be played entirely on my own, including multiple cities which i can manage (ressource trading most of all) and not having to bother with any always-on DRM or multiplayer i dont feel like..uh yeah the game exists already.

So im going to give this a pass and continue playing Cities XL and have fun with that, or if i need my SimCity fix i can just play any of the old titles i still own.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
wolfister said:
neonit said:
i remember that someone has already tried to make "multiplayer sim city". if i recall correctly it didnt last a year.
sure! go ahead! i see absolutely no way how this could POSSIBLY fail.....

nah, maybe it will be good who knows, i played sim city 2000, it was awesome. i played sim city 3000, it was better. i played sim city 4, it was better. i see a trend here you know? - still, we cant judge the game yet, so lets judge their stupid decisions.
One thing about your chart of progression you are forgetting, SimCity Societies sucked.
i forgot it, because i have chosen to forget it. thanks for reminding.
ya, it wasnt very good.
then again it was a spin-off......
therefore it didnt exist ok?! :p

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Freezy_Breezy said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Oh good. Another chance for pirates to try and justify their pirating of every game they see.

"This is why people pirate, herp derp! My internet is bad, so I, like, can't play my game I paid for and stuff. I won't get it this then I guess. Or maybe crack it or something. *goes to pirate half the Steam library*"

Ugh.
>>Live at college
>>Can't connect to Steam because ports are blocked to stop torrents because sysadmins are not functionally retarded
>>Can't play games I purchased (including some single player games because Volition are cuntrags)
>>People still wonder why others crack games they bought legitimately

Here's my question, open to all!

What's the difference between using an emulator for games you own (legal, so say most people) and using a crack for games you own? And if there is a difference, what happens if you emulate Steam? That's still emulation for use of things you own.
In my eyes, cracking or modifying a game you purchased in any way is perfectly fine. Crack it, mod it, change it, emulate the platform--do whatever you want. You paid for the ability to play the game. BUT, emulating a platform you don't legally own is not okay. Like, say, you don't own a DS and you download a DS emulator (which is very popular).

My little rant (lol) was aimed at the people who pirate everything anyway, and simply use the anti-DRM banner as an excuse to be more open about it and feel better about stealing.

Hateren47

Aug 16, 2010
Fuck that. And I was looking forward to it as well, but the only 3 games I will ever get on Origin is BF3 alpha, BF3 beta and BF3 LE. My computer runs BF3 just about perfectly on ultra settings so it's not even about system resources I just don't like Origin or EA for that matter.

For the people pondering getting Cities XL make sure you have a very fast processor because while the game is a decent although simple city management game it only runs on 1 core and even on my i5-2500K @ 3.5 GHz (I should buy better cooling and OC more soon) it lags like shit every time I reach a milestone, unlock new stuff and textboxes fill up the screen. On my old Agena @ 2.2 GHz the game became almost unplayable as soon as my city had 50.000 people in it. It's fun and all but Focus needs to rewrite the whole thing for more than one core if possible (since it was made by Monte Cristo and not Focus originally).

It's a real shame about the new SimCity though, I'd only want to play that in singleplayer.

Also if anyone has a solution for Cities XL (2011) running like crap please let me know. My system is a i5-2500k, a HD 6950 and 8GB RAM so it should run pretty well I would think.

rvdm88

Jun 11, 2008
And then they'll be wondering why this game would become the most pirated game of the year...

The stuff they are doing to "prevent" piracy actually drives people to pirate these kinds of games. which is a waste since the game is already looking so good

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
Not gonna buy it now. /over

You don't need an internet connection to do it before, the *excuse* is just an insult, much like Diablo 3. There could be 'connected' cities and unconnected.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Just great my computer throws a wobbler because of simcity 4 so I was looking forward to a new one that (probably) won't give me trouble but now that hope has a died a brutal messy death. Here's the thing EA, I DON'T want to have a multiplayer simcity where others can influence my glorious city. The idea of always on drm is sickening and just like diablo 3 you've lost a potential customer. Also those thinking of pirating it, what would be the point it would still be an online game anyway? I do admit however I would think of buying it if an offline single player option becomes available.

Bordersane

Aug 25, 2011
Thsi has nothing to do with preventing piracy...its a money-making thing. You have no idea how much this information pisses me off. They're forcing you to use online companies like Origin that I personally want nothing to do with.

Bordersane

Aug 25, 2011
This has nothing to do with preventing piracy...its a money-making thing. You have no idea how much this information pisses me off. They're forcing you to use online companies like Origin that I personally want nothing to do with.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm stumped when other companies hop on the always on DRM boat because it always gets universal hate and resentment. The sales HAVE to be lower because of this stupid bullshit, why would people buy games they don't own, that's all you're doing with these games.

Also, it never, ever stops pirates from stealing their games. This will be on every torrent site 2 weeks after it's launch, without the dumb DRM while paying honest customers get to eat shit.