New SimCity Will Require Always-On Internet - UPDATED

Coles_Law

Jul 13, 2009
I personally think the idea of your city being part of a larger world is really cool. Requiring everyone to take part in it, however is not. Why not provide a single-player version on top of this?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Update: That's small comfort. It is nice to know you won't lose the game if your internet goes kerplunk, but still needing to be online at the start? Way to be big brother there, EA.
And FYI: Steam doesn't require you to be online at the get-go, unless you are in the middle of a steam client update. Albeit those aren't rare, if it isn't occurring then you can log in straight into offline mode. So I wouldn't say it was a Steam-style sort of thing.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
SenseOfTumour said:
Shame being, it's on Origin, so won't show up on Steam.

Which is a shame, because come the xmas sales and many games being 75-90% off, some people might considering buying a game like this, riddled with the stupidity virus.

'I know it's got that horrible always on thing, but I'll give it a go now it's a fiver.'
Actually EA is still putting some games on Steam even if it's also going to be on Origin. I'm guessing they are going to keep their bigger properties Origin-exclusive until someone finally gets their head out of their butt there.
I'm waiting for the day when game publishers outright refuse to sell a game because it is just too precious to them. Smeagol-complex, anyone?

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
Strazdas said:
CapitalistPig said:
Its pretty popular to demonize companies for their anti pirate techniques. With good reason its a pretty big pain in the ass to anyone without stable internet, doesn't want to keep track of keys or user ID's, etc. And of course none of the anti piracy techniques work so there's that. But since when do pirates get a free pass? This all started because piracy exists. To deny that is to ignore the free for all that was the 1990's gaming world. So why don't we direct some well placed anger at the source of our problems. I'm not a SOPA proponent or anything like that but pirates ARE the source of our gaming woes. Its time they got a good bitching out for it.

I think this is actually a pretty fair attempt for gaming companies to compromise with the gamers. Clearly they hear that were pissed about DRM and have tried to meet us halfway with the multiplayer benefit that might actually yield some cool results.

And in case no one bothered to read the article and went straight to the comments EA commented saying your game will not be interrupted if your internet is out. So I don't know, hate it if you want Scream about how they need to get rid of DRM but they won't. It's just gonna raise your blood pressure and you'll miss out on a potentially fun gaming experience.

Me, I won't buy it cause I fell out of love with Simcity. The last one I played seriously was 2000 and the later installments just limited my ability to shape a world I created.
im sorry but your name is correct.
piracy is not a cause of DRM. companies are the cause of DRM. If they had half a brain of baboon they would have realized its not going to work, infact, its going to work backwards, and im pretty sure they know that, after all, i wouldnt want to believe that half the gaming industry is mentally challenged baboons. but they want to treat their costumers like shit. piraciy is merely offering a better service. had the companies bothered with offering a better service piracy would be diminished. when pirating a game is 50 times easier than buying one money is not the reason people pirate, its the service. at least pirates dont treat eachother like lowlifes every turn they get.
they havent tried to meet us half way, they tried to shove their methods down our throats and anyone that disagree with them they called scumbags.
Sure we will miss out on potentialy fun gamign exeprience, because we are not some mindless sheep that allow whoever wants it to treat us like shit. i think its something worth fighting for, dont you?
Buying games is easy. And implementing installations and otherwise DRM is pretty easy too. Its about as easy as a Crack (oh shocker!) And I don't see how this is "treating you like shit." Companies charge you for a game and protect their rights as distributors. Guess what, thats what every copyright industry has done for the past 50 years. The only band that ever gave their stuff away was The Grateful Dead, and that's because they made more money on tours then albums/records. If you don't like that, what exactly do you want from them? To hand you over their stuff to just do whatever you please. That's courtroom suicide when they do convict someone of copyright violations. Obviously they aren't going to to that. Yea don't get first day downloadable content that's obviously a ploy but then again maybe this stuff shouldn't mean so much anyway. that whole "they don't offer a good platform" is standby crap of the pirate crowd. Obviously getting stuff for free is pretty hard to pull away from. It has a HUGE following and its free for the sake of it. I hardly think that's a compelling argument. People need to drastically reconsider how they view these companies if they ever think they are going to care about you. And maybe the pirate crowd should stop downloading the games if they don't like the companies that might send a more concise message. It's just games man. You don't have a right to anything. They are providing entertainment. they have no obligation to fulfill your demands in any way. And yes, I live by my name with pride thank you.

And no I don't think fighting a company that provides you with strictly entertainment is worth fighting against if that's the point you want to make. If you really wanted to make a point you would do something else other then play video games. Not get their copyrights illegally. That just proves you want their stuff but are too "insert anything" to deal with them. Who can compete with that attitude. go for a hike or something if you want to protest.

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
Antari said:
CapitalistPig said:
Its pretty popular to demonize companies for their anti pirate techniques. With good reason its a pretty big pain in the ass to anyone without stable internet, doesn't want to keep track of keys or user ID's, etc. And of course none of the anti piracy techniques work so there's that. But since when do pirates get a free pass? This all started because piracy exists. To deny that is to ignore the free for all that was the 1990's gaming world. So why don't we direct some well placed anger at the source of our problems. I'm not a SOPA proponent or anything like that but pirates ARE the source of our gaming woes. Its time they got a good bitching out for it.

I think this is actually a pretty fair attempt for gaming companies to compromise with the gamers. Clearly they hear that were pissed about DRM and have tried to meet us halfway with the multiplayer benefit that might actually yield some cool results.

And in case no one bothered to read the article and went straight to the comments EA commented saying your game will not be interrupted if your internet is out. So I don't know, hate it if you want Scream about how they need to get rid of DRM but they won't. It's just gonna raise your blood pressure and you'll miss out on a potentially fun gaming experience.

Me, I won't buy it cause I fell out of love with Simcity. The last one I played seriously was 2000 and the later installments just limited my ability to shape a world I created.
No what I'm going to do is save myself some money. By not buying a nice looking piece of dog shit being pawned off as "art". If you support them, you deserve what you get. Ask recent Mass Effect 3 people how the last EA purchase they made went. If you want to blind yourself to the obvious thats fine. But don't expect anyone else to.
Good, Just don't screw up your protest by going and downloading it illegally. Otherwise you have accomplished nothing other then paint yourself a target.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
SenseOfTumour said:
Shame being, it's on Origin, so won't show up on Steam.

Which is a shame, because come the xmas sales and many games being 75-90% off, some people might considering buying a game like this, riddled with the stupidity virus.

'I know it's got that horrible always on thing, but I'll give it a go now it's a fiver.'
Actually EA is still putting some games on Steam even if it's also going to be on Origin. I'm guessing they are going to keep their bigger properties Origin-exclusive until someone finally gets their head out of their butt there.
I'm waiting for the day when game publishers outright refuse to sell a game because it is just too precious to them. Smeagol-complex, anyone?
It's the ultimate defence against piracy, spend $10 million creating the game, then just don't release it! It's the greatest DRM ever! CEO: "I'm happy to say we lost not one sale to piracy meaning we made a profit to our shareholders of..um...minus ten million!"

(Then someone leaks it and it's on piratebay in a few hours!)

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Wait so regarding this update. It's "not always online" but you need to have a constant internet connection to play, but if you do get interrupted you don't get booted.

Sounds like always-online requirement to me. I means that's pretty stupid. I don't like calling people stupid from my superior position of anonymity, but that's pretty freaking moronic. How stupid do you think your consumers are?

It's not always online, except it is. Well, putting that one up there with Diablo on the, "Games You Couldn't Pay Me to Play" list.

Sean Calegari

Mar 21, 2011
Don't try to put Steam and Anything Related to EA in the same boat. They are as different as night and day, you do not need a continuous connection to Steam to play any game.

I'm just counting the days until Origin dies out; I'm not buying any of EA's games and the rest of the world should do the same.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Game that requires an internet connection just to play whether I want multiplayer or not... is not a game I want.

Also, SimCity 2000 was the best SimCity. I hated 3 and 4.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
What's the opposite of "incentive"? Because Origin is that.

Sorry SimCity, but even though I was a huge fan of all your other games, you can **** right off.