New Smash Bros won't have story or cutscenes because of... the internet

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I can tell I'm a minority in this but I liked the way cut-scenes were done in SSB. As Sakurai said, they were rewards, just pretty pictures to look at and I actually felt like "Oooo a cut-scene" as opposed to "Ugh, a cut-scene". But because people want to ruin the fun for themselves, nobody gets them? That's dumb and sounds like an "I'm taking my ball and going home" kind of reaction. The campaign mode was never important its way more fun to unlock characters through hidden challenges but I wish he used those as reasons instead blaming today's gamers with their YouTubes and their Twitters

Demonjazz

Sexually identifies as Tiefling
Sep 13, 2008
Well this saddens me. I really loved the storyline to Brawl because I like stories, I like how you can gather people's characters, intentions, reasoning in a story without any dialogue. It was really fun and I really liked it plus the stages had an interesting platforming gameplay and I think it actually delivered a great silent story!

Lennie Briscoe

Jan 18, 2011
I love me some Super Smash Brothers, but this is no big loss. Neither the story mode or the cutscenes were particularly good in the last one.

The super smashing, however...

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
I call bullshit, there has to be another reason why they cut these out.

There's no way a company would work that hard on a story mode and then cut them out just because a few cutscenes were leaked on the internet, it's just stupid.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
rob_simple said:
Dragonbums said:
The reasoning is very stupid.

But come on people. Is this really going to break the game? Is this really gonna keep you from getting a WiiU?
Yes. The story mode was the only part of Brawl I actually played for any length of time, so if it's not in the new game then I have no interest in getting it and, as such, it's one less reason to pick up a WiiU.
Cool.
Your loss.
It's not like the story added that much to the game.
Nobody who I ever talked to about SSB talked about the story mode.
Then again, it seems a lot of people are finding tons of reasons not to get a WiiU. So I guess it really doesn't matter.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Dragonbums said:
rob_simple said:
Dragonbums said:

But come on people. Is this really going to break the game? Is this really gonna keep you from getting a WiiU?
Yes. The story mode was the only part of Brawl I actually played for any length of time, so if it's not in the new game then I have no interest in getting it and, as such, it's one less reason to pick up a WiiU.
Cool.
Your loss.
Then again, it seems a lot of people are finding tons of reasons not to get a WiiU. So I guess it really doesn't matter.
Do you want to try that again, maybe be a little bit more mature about it? No one you ever spoke to, huh? Well I guess that means anyone else's opinion is automatically invalid, then.

It's not my loss, I've still got the first three Smash Bros. games and they change very little between sequels; nevermind the massive library of other games I plan to get for the systems I actually do own. It's Nintendo's loss, since they really could do with increasing the demand for their console, and stuff like this doesn't help.

So I'm sorry you're inexplicably hurt by people not wanting to jump on a sinking ship, but while I'm interested in the WiiU, it needs more than a couple of decent games to get me on board and right now the new Sonic and Wonderful 101 are all that's tempting me.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
rob_simple said:
Dragonbums said:
rob_simple said:
Dragonbums said:

Cool.
Your loss.
Do you want to try that again, maybe be a little bit more mature about it? No one you ever spoke to, huh? Well I guess that means anyone else's opinion is automatically invalid, then.

It's not my loss, I've still got the first three Smash Bros. games and they change very little between sequels; nevermind the massive library of other games I plan to get for the systems I actually do own. It's Nintendo's loss, since they really could do with increasing the demand for their console, and stuff like this doesn't help.

So I'm sorry you're inexplicably hurt by people not wanting to jump on a sinking ship, but while I'm interested in the WiiU, it needs more than a couple of decent games to get me on board and right now the new Sonic and Wonderful 101 are all that's tempting me.
I personally don't see why some people are making such a big huff about it.
Yeah it' a bit sad and the reason is not very good at all.
However the same people who complain about it tend to be the same people who play it once or twice and never look back.
I can't recall any of my friends or family who played story mode again after the first play through. Most didn't even bother with the story mode.
They just went to playing with their friends.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Dragonbums said:
Dryk said:
Sakurai YOU uploaded some of those cutscenes to your blog ya idiot. Also I'm increasingly convinced that you don't have what it takes to deal with a having a game this popular.
Why yes.
I'm pretty sure the man behind creating these games have every right to upload his own content onto his own personal blog. However the people who upload said cutscenes to Youtube had no hand in creating any of the content of those cutscenes.
And if he gave that as a reason it would be fair enough. But he didn't. He specifically said that he's not doing it because people were able to watch them outside of the context of the game. A trend HE started.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Dryk said:
Dragonbums said:
Dryk said:
Sakurai YOU uploaded some of those cutscenes to your blog ya idiot. Also I'm increasingly convinced that you don't have what it takes to deal with a having a game this popular.
Why yes.
I'm pretty sure the man behind creating these games have every right to upload his own content onto his own personal blog. However the people who upload said cutscenes to Youtube had no hand in creating any of the content of those cutscenes.
And if he gave that as a reason it would be fair enough. But he didn't. He specifically said that he's not doing it because people were able to watch them outside of the context of the game. A trend HE started.
How is that a trend he started?
That doesn't make sense.
Since the dawn of social networking people uploaded the stuff they worked and created.
Devs and average users alike.
Sakurai is no different from uploading his work then say a small time artist uploading theirs.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Dragonbums said:
rob_simple said:
Dragonbums said:
rob_simple said:
Dragonbums said:

Cool.
Your loss.

However the same people who complain about it tend to be the same people who play it once or twice and never look back.
I can't recall any of my friends or family who played story mode again after the first play through. Most didn't even bother with the story mode.
Um, because they cut out what was a massive part of the last game? The campaign mode was pretty robust, there was a good amount of hours in it and a lot to unlock, and unlocking the trophies and songs are a big part of what I play Smash Bros for. I only play games on my own, so I have no interest in multiplayer elements of games. I realise this puts me in the minority, but I'm not about to be told I'm 'just making a fuss' when the only elements of games that interest me are cut.

But do you know what? I'd be fine with it if the reason was because I'm in the minority and they didn't want to go to the effort of making something they didn't think anyone would play; that's happened to series' I've loved in the past and I rolled with the punches because their logic was sound.

That's not what happened, here.

This guy threw a little ***** fit over his precious cutscenes being put on Youtube, where people don't have to see them if they'd rather wait until they got the game, and automatically assumed no one would play single player now. That's fucking Mars logic.

That's like the Call of Duty guys saying they're shutting shop because people can just watch footage of military shit getting blown up on the news.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
rob_simple said:
Dragonbums said:
rob_simple said:
Dragonbums said:
rob_simple said:
Dragonbums said:

Cool.
Your loss.

Um, because they cut out what was a massive part of the last game? The campaign mode was pretty robust, there was a good amount of hours in it and a lot to unlock, and unlocking the trophies and songs are a big part of what I play Smash Bros for. I only play games on my own, so I have no interest in multiplayer elements of games. I realise this puts me in the minority, but I'm not about to be told I'm 'just making a fuss' when the only elements of games that interest me are cut.

But do you know what? I'd be fine with it if the reason was because I'm in the minority and they didn't want to go to the effort of making something they didn't think anyone would play; that's happened to series' I've loved in the past and I rolled with the punches because their logic was sound.

That's not what happened, here.

This guy threw a little ***** fit over his precious cutscenes being put on Youtube, where people don't have to see them if they'd rather wait until they got the game, and automatically assumed no one would play single player now. That's fucking Mars logic.

That's like the Call of Duty guys saying they're shutting shop because people can just watch footage of military shit getting blown up on the news.
Like I said, the reasoning was stupid. It is really stupid.

However to light a candle in the dark, perhaps he just means CGI cutscenes.
As in, there will be cutscenes, just not in high definition.
At least- that is what someone speculated over at Kotaku.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Soxafloppin said:
soo...will the next SSB revert back to the Melee style adventure mode? I can deal with that to be honest.
This, the main campaign for Brawl was quite boring, I felt forcing the player to play as specific fighters was a step down to the more encompassing adventure mode, not like Brawl's story was winning any sort of amazing awards, anyway.

OT: That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I myself havn't even seen the cutscenes, as I'm sure many, many people have not, including children, who are the main demographic of Nintendo games.

That's like me saying, "Well, since you've watched a movie once, son, that obviously means you'll never want to watch it again, so I'll just incinerate Finding Nemo now."

Brendan Stepladder said:
Their excuse is rubbish, but I'm glad the next Smash won't have a story mode. Sakurai could put those development resources to better use anyway.
Removing the adventure mode because the cutscenes are on the internet implies it's already mostly finished, which means in actuality we are losing something, not gaining any more time in something else.

rob_simple said:
krazykidd said:
Savagezion said:
"You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]."

Wow, then why bother to make them at all? It's like Nintendo doesn't want me to buy a Wii-U. Explain yourself Nintendo.

"I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."

Well, hell there is your problem right there. Cutscenes being treated as "shiny rewards" are the cutscenes I don't mind skipping. Cutscenes should only be used to offer a purpose for the gameplay. I would think that playing the game is the reward for playing the game. Silly me, little did I know people only play games to watch cutscenes. Yeah, I can't get on board with that.

Man, this makes me think of a kid going "Dad, dad, dad, dad, dad" then dad going "WHAT?!?!" followed by "Well, nevermind." Go to your room and pout Nintendo, I don't want to listen to it.
What you said made no sense . Try again .

OT: I think he's right . Youtube killed a lot of things in gaming in my opinion . There no longer any reward for doing anything when you can just say , fuck it , i'm watching it on youtube . However , while his reasoning is correct , it's misplaced on SSB . SSB, main focus is on the gameplay , not the story . Removing cutscene in a game like that changes little in regards of the actual game . HOWEVER , it will save them money . Cutscenes are not needed in SSB , and not having them will have little or no impact on the game itself and the number of people buying it . I sincerely doubt there are many people that are going to refuse to buy this game due to the lack of cutscenes . So this is a good move . Again this is all in my opinion.
Um...no, not at all. I'm afraid it's you that has no idea what you're talking about, in regards to Youtube 'ruining' anything. I watch LP's on Youtube all the time, cutscenes and all, and many times it has made me go, 'okay now I need to play this game for myself.'

If you or anyone else has such a problem with Youtube ruining everything, there's always the option of, you know, not watching the cutscenes on Youtube if you don't want anything from Smash Bros. glorified fanfic story mode to be spoiled for you. This isn't like people standing by the queues outside Borders and shouting 'Snape kills Dumbledore' through a loudhailer; people have the choice to walk away.

Leaking the cutscenes on Youtube would actually be a smart move in Smash Bros. case, because it would be a good way to reveal new characters or gimmicks in the series, which would help generate interest and shift units; something Nintendo desperately needs to do, right now.

OT: What Nintendo have done here is insane, and serves as further proof that the company is being run by a bunch of bewildered old men who still think it's 1994.
I agree with Rob here. If it weren't for Mack&Mesh, I'd have never played Half-Life 2, Doom 3 or F.E.A.R.

A game should be able to generate its own desire to be played by looking/being entertaining, not rely on the element of surprise to get people to buy them on a hunch. If I look at some gameplay and it looks like shit, I won't want to buy it. LP's, or at least Good LP's, when played by people who actually enjoy the game, are quite good for getting word out there.

Just look at how Slender exploded all over the internet after people like Pewdiepie and Cryaotic played it.

What you're implying, Krazy, sounds as though someone is duct-taping you to a chair and forcing you to watch all of the story of a game. I'm assuming that isn't the case, and if you actually get games ruined for you by Youtube, then you have no self-control when it comes to looking up those videos yourself.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Good to see that the general consensus doesn't see the point of what's being done here either. If you really feel that video content, or video of content, is so detrimental to the experience you've created then I think you need to take a step back and realize that maybe your experience just wasn't that appealing in the first place.

Anyone who would replace a game purchase with just watching a video, especially in a fighting game where gameplay is king, probably wasn't overly interested in buying your game to begin with.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
I don't blame him. Who honestly played Brawl for the story? And even if they did have a story how would they top Brawl's story?

SouthernStar

Jul 23, 2013
Aren't you guys tired of playing as the same characters for the last 20 odd years lol? Nintendo is gonna beat this horse until its eyes fly 4254636364 million miles past the sun.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Really? That's your reason? Because I'll have you know that's a stupid reason. Don't they realize that stuff like this is essentially free publicity? I'd bet good money that at least a handful of people decided to buy the game after watching the cutscenes on Youtube.

SouthernStar said:
Aren't you guys tired of playing as the same characters for the last 20 odd years lol? Nintendo is gonna beat this horse until its eyes fly 4254636364 million miles past the sun.
But these games take those cherished icons and let us beat the everloving shit out of them. Surely there's some appeal to that?

SouthernStar

Jul 23, 2013
Neverhoodian said:
Really? That's your reason? Because I'll have you know that's a stupid reason. Don't they realize that stuff like this is essentially free publicity? I'd bet good money that at least a handful of people decided to buy the game after watching the cutscenes on Youtube.

SouthernStar said:
But these games take those cherished icons and let us beat the everloving shit out of them. Surely there's some appeal to that?

I guess but for the millionth time? I'm a big brawl fan but I wish Nintendo would just come up with at least 1 new idea besides rehashing the same thing repeatedly

Eduku

Sep 11, 2010
SouthernStar said:
Neverhoodian said:

SouthernStar said:

I guess but for the millionth time? I'm a big brawl fan but I wish Nintendo would just come up with at least 1 new idea besides rehashing the same thing repeatedly
Except that every single fighting game franchise has been doing the same thing since the beginning of the genre?