New Street Fighter Flick Mauled By Critics

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
TheNecroswanson said:
nilcypher said:
mspencer82 said:
From the Kotaku LiveBlog:
Bison: "You see, your father has been the milk of my business. But even milk has an expiration date."
No. No way. I refuse to believe that this is an actual quote from the movie. I don't care how bad the movie is, I don't care if it's the worst movie of all time. I refuse to accept that he said that.
I know how you feel, but remember that these people care nothing for Bison. They let Raul Julia play him for heaven's sake. Great Gomez, lousy Bison.
Oh, oh no. You just made the ****list (not really). I loved Raul Julia in that movie. I feel he played a perfect megalo maniac. Every ridiculously poor plot he spat out was just so damned convincing. And those eyes. Those sexy, evil eyes.
I was significantly less impressed. :)

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
C'mon guys and gals, you know that the best part about the 1994 Street Fighter was the ridiculous flash kick that Van Damme executed on Julia. Sure, you probably facepalmed, but certainly there was the sort of nervous laughter you'd reserve for when you've farted in mixed company by mistake or forgotten your money at the grocery cashier.

As for this movie, I think just the facepalming will suffice. I've always been a big believer in not judging stuff until you've seen it, but I really have a lot of trouble trying to figure out how the movie got funding or was actually made, considering what by all accounts is a terrible portrayal.

Sadly, you're probably never going to see a good video game movie unless said video game possesses enough cinematic elements to be taken as a movie at times. Metal Gear comes to mind.

seule

Jul 21, 2008
There will never be a good game based on a video game as long as the people making the movies target them at the people who already played them. It's like trying to make a remake of the game, only, without the fun gameplay bits.

They need to take the good storylines from videogames, and try and expand them to a broader audience. Then, you might get a good videogame movie.

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
Leroy Frederick said:
Thanks for the offer blackcherry :) Is this it by any chance? http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/resident_evil_romero.html (haven't read it all yet, but thus far Chris is a birdwatcher, I think!?)
Perhaps. To be honest, I got three-quarters of the way through the script at the time and just wrote it off. So far nothing has turned up on my laptop, but from what I remember the script you linked is very similar. It starts out promising and then just slides into a pool of cliches and terrible dialogue (worse that the games even ;] ).

From the version I remember, Chris was going out with Jill and was actually a pansy, except when he decides to go, and I remember this exact quote, 'All Native American on some zombie ass!'. If you can find that in the script that congrats, or commiserations, to you.

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
If film makers can mess up something like DOOM, they can mess up anything.

There's the other issue of translation. A game is simply not structured like a film, and condensing the story of a game into a film will always come with a loss. Character in games are generally one-dimensional and ambiguous- how well will that ever translate into film?

For my money, the closest to a win so far would be Silent Hill. I didn't mind the Resident Evil films so much, either. Mortal Kombat was absolutely dreadful. The directors of those two films had the easiest recipe for success and they were piles of dog shit.

Leroy Frederick

Jan 27, 2009
blackcherry said:
Leroy Frederick said:
Thanks for the offer blackcherry :) Is this it by any chance? http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/resident_evil_romero.html (haven't read it all yet, but thus far Chris is a birdwatcher, I think!?)
Perhaps. To be honest, I got three-quarters of the way through the script at the time and just wrote it off. So far nothing has turned up on my laptop, but from what I remember the script you linked is very similar. It starts out promising and then just slides into a pool of cliches and terrible dialogue (worse that the games even ;] ).

From the version I remember, Chris was going out with Jill and was actually a pansy, except when he decides to go, and I remember this exact quote, 'All Native American on some zombie ass!'. If you can find that in the script that congrats, or commiserations, to you.
Yeah, I think it' the same one. Chris seems to be a bird watcher and after a hard days watching him and Jill have a shag. I didn't read all of it, only up to the mansion part (it's kinda long as expected I suppose), all the characters are there at least (Wesker, Rebecca, Rodriguez, Barry and all the gang it seems), hard to visualize what his full intentions were being only in written form and first draft, but the first section seems more in context with RE then the film (no fake superhuman Alice characters) take away the apartment-dwelling, bird-watching and S.T.A.R.S shagging. :p

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Arsen said:
I'll wait for myself to see if it is any good.
I thought Max Payne was good, but of course you have to cater to every single random fan who wants their personal vision of the game made.
Max Payne wasn't really that good, but it was certainly enjoyable to me, which is something that can't be said of most video game movies.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
Solivagus said:
Has anyone seen Resident Evil: Degeneration? Is it supposed to be a straight-to-DVD film? I quite enjoyed that as far as films based on video games go.
it was good in that it was resident evil (overly cheezy underwater kiss/air part not withstanding) in the style of the games.

Daveman said:
Ah, the legend that is Jean-Claude Van Damme. Man the original street fighter movie was hilarious, not that there were any jokes.
all i will say to that is "Quick!! Change ze channel!!!"

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
Flap Jack452 said:
dalek sec said:
Not to sound rude but I'm not exactly shocked that the movie sucked.
No one is... That wasn't rude by the way, it was the truth.
So when you call someone fat, you explain by saying it wasn't rude, it was the truth?

But yeah, noone had high hopes for this movie anyways.

Blank__

Oct 9, 2008
Volucer said:
Wow, Rotten Tomatoes has it at a 0% rating. Only film I've ever seen get so low.
Yeah, yeah. I've never seen a 0%, either!
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/street_fighter_the_legend_of_chun_li/

Ignignoct

Feb 14, 2009
Woe Is You said:
"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was tuesday."

Man, I can't wait for the game based on this movie!
OMG I almost completely erased that game's memory from my mind but you brought it back!

Haet u.

Oh, man, those graphics were hilarious, though.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I'm still going to be hopeful for a decent MGS movie, If they're going to make it, (and they probably will eventually) at least with Hayter on board it might not be a complete bag of shite.

Street Fighter however, looked bad from the start, and got dramatically worse as it got nearer to release. And I've fallen out with the franchise for now anyway.

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
I was curious, so I read the synopsis for it on Wiki. Is it true that Balrog hits someone so ahrd it gives them cancer? Because that is possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
...I thought the 1994 film was rather fun :D
Quick, Change the Channel!

Oreo for whoever get's that one.

nathan-dts said:
Dectilon said:
"It does raise an interesting question though, will there ever be a good video game movie?"

Not as long as there's no vision or ambition...
I enjoyed the Hitman film. Was that just me?
*stares at empty room* ...yes. That film hurt me, in ways I never thought possible.

Once he said the line: 'there's a secret organisation, so secret no one knows it even exists' my brain shut off.

Vorinia

Mar 2, 2009
So am I the only Final Fantasy player out here, or just the only one who liked Advent Children?

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
ChocoFace said:
Flap Jack452 said:
dalek sec said:
Not to sound rude but I'm not exactly shocked that the movie sucked.
No one is... That wasn't rude by the way, it was the truth.
So when you call someone fat, you explain by saying it wasn't rude, it was the truth?

But yeah, noone had high hopes for this movie anyways.
Saying a movie sucked and calling someone fat are not quite on the same level. I can imagine someone would rationalize calling someone fat because it was true, but i would just avoid the situation entirely and not call them fat to begin with.

Leroy Frederick

Jan 27, 2009
Vorinia said:
So am I the only Final Fantasy player out here, or just the only one who liked Advent Children?
Your not the only Final Fantasy player I'm sure, cause FFVII is one of my all-time favourite games, only problem is I've yet to see Advent Children, but I'm sure it's gotta be way better then the cinema released final fantasy movie which again, like many games to movies, deviated away from it's most popular source content dramatically to the point of bemusement.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
So no-one else is concerned about the naming convention?

That maybe there's 20 or so more movies already green lighted such as 'The Legend of Honda' starring Adam Sandler in a fat suit?

Its not like horrendous failures seem to put off the movie guys from signing up for more, and lets face it, from what I've seen of clips, they spent about £50 on the movie and more than 10 people have seen it, so they're in profit.