New Study: Most Teenagers are Unaffected by Violent Gaming

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Better later than never, I guess.

But do remind me, why do we need a scientific study to prove absolutely nothing? I mean it was fucking obvious video games don't kill people. Retarded kids with schizophrenia kill people...

Warstratigier

Mar 28, 2009
You know....I got this "many people are stupid" sort, but these people that do these trivial studies seem to have this thinking that when they dawn some sort of lab coat that they are above the common man/woman and that they can look down at us like we're wild animals to observe and make statements about whereas what we say is seen as nothing but grunts and such.

That....is a new level of "people are stupid" thinking right there.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Shock and surprise.
No one could see this kind of 'news' coming half an AU away.

Bananafoam

Feb 6, 2010
I'm tired of this theory. It's been dissaproven only 80 times, and although it makes sense on paper, it's humans natural instinct to not be a murderous, phycological mess.

It's simply the way we were raised.

Sock Puppet

Sep 4, 2008
generic gamer said:
Also, guys (general statement), can we cut the celebration? This study is just as likely to be flawed and biased as the contradicting ones, but of course this one we assume is true because it says what we want to hear. One experiment is on our side, several have been against us. By balance of probability it's more likely this one is false but of course we don't think like that do we? God but we suck at analysing data! This is a finding conducted by two assistant researchers at non highly regarded universities, maybe wait.

It also dismays me that this is considered a common sense finding considering how volcanically inept at social interaction a good portion of gamers seem and that smoking was assumed to be good for you for years. So the findings aren't relevant to the normal high-risk group and buck the normal trend. Common sense is wrong more times than you'd think, there's a lot that is considered common sense that is bloody wrong so don't crack out the bunting just yet!

Incidentally it's a re-analysis of old data, not new research and it's not clear who funded it.

EDIT: And looked at a sample of less than 120 individuals.

Kharloth said:
Wow, that registered a 10 on the obvious meter.

great job, now can we move on to curing cancer?
Newsflash, psychologists are not biologists. Mind blowing I know, but not every scientist works in the right field to cure cancer!
This is pretty much one of my favorite posts in this news article because it wasn't "LOLZ IT SO OBVIOUS STUPID GUYS IN LAB COATS!!"

Many of the posts here are just demonstrating hindsight bias, but whatever...

Feb 13, 2008
Much as I applaud this study, and that I can't find an obvious bias within it, I honestly don't think it will matter to those in power until it can reach those in power.

Nothing is as blind as those that will not see.

Crazy_Bird

Oct 21, 2009
And next week the Republicans or the conservatives of another country publish a study which states the opposite. That's why nobody cares about these studies: There are quite a lot of studies and they are contradicting and the negative one are clearly influenced by lobbyists.

I trust in the facts: I play video games and did not kill anyone and most other people play games and are equally pacifically as myself. Furthermore there are people who kill and run amok and never touched game. That's all the info that I need personally and honestly it should be enough for anyone else as well.

BTW: I remember at least two studies with the exactly same results and that was before Jack Thompson's GTA 4 hate.

Apr 29, 2010
Suki the Cat said:
Gah, all those pricks talking about video games manifesting violent tendencies in us gamers really need to get outside more...and just go away. Far, far away.

Daipire

Oct 25, 2009
Gasp, Oh RLY?!
Now THAT'S why I haven't killed EVERYONE yet.

Man, as a kid I was unaffected by violent games.
Well, much...

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
I think more studies would reveal that the current generation of media consumers are better able to tell the difference between fantasy and reality than our parents are.
Precisely.

Furthermore, someone who is not a participant in this themselves can only draw preconceptions based on what they see, and with their own opinions pass judgements on them.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Arent they a little late with this... I already knew this when i was killing robots in a megaman game. Ánd i was like 6 years old. I didnt want to kill people after that. Not even when playing mortal combat that age to.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
That's all well and good, but the majority of people will pass it off as rubbish. Gaming just isn't taken seriously, and until it is, these sorts of studies will just be glossed over. Maybe I'm just in a down mood, but I just don't think it'll have much effect.

Cynical post is cynical.

medicvalues

May 11, 2010
you know if they really want to blame us for something it would probably be we would be more willing to act violently towards a situation but o lord no playing video games immidataly makes you pschopathick killer just waiting to burst
well atleast we finally have a study for this( even though really the funds couldnt have been better spent?)