New Study: Most Teenagers are Unaffected by Violent Gaming

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
It may be another "Stating the obvious" study being made, but I am glad that this one actually states the obvious about something that I actually care about. I'd call this good news. :D

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Kharloth said:
Wow, that registered a 10 on the obvious meter.

great job, now can we move on to curing cancer?
Yes, we should absolutely get all those sociologists working on cancer immediately. I cannot think of a better way for them to spend their time.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Finally someone who has actually looked at the issue in depth with logic and reason. Its like Chris Rock said what ever happened to just Crazy lol.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
And in other news, the sky is blue. At least they did a study instead of pulling info out of who-knows-where.

Gabriel Xollan

Jun 4, 2010
Well I would not argue that games have ratings for a reason. Though a game, such as music, has no ability to force you into doing some un-noble act, it can influence your motives. We rely on common sense but sometimes even the most docile thing can send a person over the edge but should we blame the thing or the person themselves.

What I'm getting at is that maybe there is something disturbing when we really think about why certain games gives us pleasure but at the end of the day who's fault is it if you are found running a person through with a gigantic sword and dual wielding pistols to finish off who ever is left standing? Heh, so yeah Devil May Cry physics don't let me go flipping through the air going devil trigger happy on people's faces nor would I care to.

So don't let your kids play games until they understand that reality is a separate world from fantasy, but when you are old enough to see this line there shouldn't be people shouting, oh my gosh why did this game cause this person to be so warped and twisted? Bad parenting and not enough people being involved are the only good explanations to these atrocities.

To end, road rage causes violence on a regular basis. Should we ban vehicles because of this?

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
dududf said:
Next Science research project...

Grass grows, Birds fly, and New yorkers with base ball bats hurt people.
Huh?

That make sense...

Youtube=v/Y6ljFaKRTrI&hl

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Glademaster said:
So once again Science has wasted its time proving something most non idiots already knew way before this.
I wouldn't say wasted. I think this is an excellent use of time because it helps discredit the anti-video game crowd from a position of authority. Yes most of us know that it doesn't affect us however our claims are discredited because of our love of the subject makes us bias. Along with the fact that most aren't going to accept the words of us evil gamers.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been saying the same thing for years. Hell, anybody with a working brain cell could figured that one out.

I love these painfully obvious studies, like the one that shows that a gay man's brain becomes active in the same way a straight woman's does when looking at an attractive man......just a giant FUCKING DUH.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Therumancer said:
To be honest Therumancer I think both sides are as bad as each other for it. I can't imagine people like Sarah Palin or John McCain being any more lenient on games... I actually think they'd be the opposite... To the point of trying to get it banned all together. I mean Sarah Palin tried to get books detailing evolution pulled from a library before, taking away a form of free speech and trying to control what you can and can't read. John McCain tried to ban MMA (almost succeeded) and I imagine if he was in power he'd try to do the exact same thing with video games.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Sovvolf said:
Therumancer said:
To be honest Therumancer I think both sides are as bad as each other for it. I can't imagine people like Sarah Palin or John McCain being any more lenient on games... I actually think they'd be the opposite... To the point of trying to get it banned all together. I mean Sarah Palin tried to get books detailing evolution pulled from a library before, taking away a form of free speech and trying to control what you can and can't read. John McCain tried to ban MMA (almost succeeded) and I imagine if he was in power he'd try to do the exact same thing with video games.
Well, as I said, there are people involved on this on both sides, however it's mostly a left wing issue, which is why we're seeing more of it now, and so much slanted media.

For the most part Republicans don't like a lot of this stuff, but are believers in limited govermental powers. The whole video game issue ties in heavily with other attempts to do away with the right to free speech, and attack things like so called "hate speech" which is something un-politically correct Republicans are frequently attacked with. Even when you get into the more lunatic right wing fringe that throws in a lot of religious overtones, again free speech is one of the cornerstones they use to defend what their right to speak when you have liberals screaming "OMG, nobody should be allowed to say that".

For the left wing it's both a power grab, but also the belief that they can pretty much quash some of their biggest opponents in a nation that's divided almost 50-50, if they can prevent the other side from speaking entirely.

Video games and the content there cover a lot of the same ground, basically if the goverment gets the abillity to censor games for content, it can take the precedent to also censor OTHER media for content. In many respects giving the goverment a power of moral censorship.

It really doesn't matter how they achieve the goal, which is why you see a multi-pronged attack with guys like Obama on one hand trying to blame video games for health problems that have been a growing issue before video games were anywhere near so prevelent (and come with any successful, technological, sedimentary civilization), and people like Hillary Clinton on the other hand going "OMG, sex and violence, protect the children". The media which supports the left wing also being rallied to pretty much find any excuse they can to tie a negative story into video gaming.

If this sounds like a conspiricy theory, well consider that it IS organized, as far as politics usually are. There are no shadowy, illuminati type meetings, but the general policy has definatly been set. What's more while it's a power grab for many of the people involved, I also think there are those who genuinely believe in the cause.

Right now while there are right wing people involved in this (everything goes cross party to some extent) I do not remember Mccain or Palin ever being involved in this issue on any meaningful level. At least not to the point of seeing articles about them leading anti-video game charges.

The bottom line is that I feel this issue is important enough to the point where if the video game "front" is lost, we pretty much lose everything (the snowball will roll even further). We can see direct action and statements going to the highest levels of the goverment right now, and the issue is important enough where even wars are petty in comparison (even if millions of people die in wars, your dealing with far more people losing their freedoms accross generations if precedent is more successfully established).

It's not happening tomorrow, and I'm sure I'll say more on the subject comes up (and get flamed doubtlessly) but the bottom line is that barring people who are screaming "yes I want to ban video games outright! The liberals' censorship attempts don't fo far enough" chances are we should get the guys in power out of there. As important as their jobs are, the fact that guys like Obama or Clinton will still find time to make comments about this issue (on any level) should sort of make it clear how big a deal this actually is.

As much as I love video games, part of it is that I see this as being part of a bigger issue, and one that has been brewing for a long time. I think it started when the whole "political correctness" thing started to become a pop-culture buzzword, and we started seeing people attacking "hate speech". It started out mild (as I mentioned) but now we've got something very specific and the issue more or less boils down to the goverment saying "you must protect the children! quickly, give us the power of moral censorship, and we will get rid of these bad video games that are causing all these problems, and make sure nothing similar happens again!". Which is of course based on bot a lie (games causing these problems), and the simple fact that people were being groomed step by step, and were pretty quick to engage in private censorship/censure against so called "hate speech" (which actually doesn't have a clear definition) with little concern for the bigger, overall picture... what it says for the idea of free speech, and human rights. Any strong, contrary opinion about anyone can technically be considered hate speech by someone...

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Ren3004 said:
So, who wants to bet that the anti-videogame media will claim this study is methodologically wrong?

Well, this is good news, I guess. Maybe we'll get some rest now.
Keep us posted if they do (which they will but WHEN they do)