New Super Smash Bros. Roster Discussion

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
It had to happen sooner or later, right? So the first trailer and screens were released earlier this morning and it should come as no surprise that the following characters are confirmed to be returning: Mario, Link, DK, Bowser, Pikachu, Kirby, Fox, Samus and Pit.

New Comers Include: Villager (Animal Crossing) and Mega Man!

So yeah, seems like we're off to a good start. As for the discussion: Who do you guys think WON'T be making the cut this time around? They've mentioned downsizing the roster a tad, so I imagine that means some characters will not be returning. Also, who do you think will join the cast for the first time (both 1st and 3rd party characters)? Who would you love to see, but know would never make the cut?

As for me, I honestly think they should cut the rest of the clones out of the game completely. Get rid of Star Wolf and differentiate Falco's move-set further. Give Ganondorf a COMPLETELY new moveset and either get rid of or rework Toon Link so that he's worth keeping around.

As for new first party characters I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Marth replaced by Lucina (from Awakening). Probably won't happen because there are so many Marth fans, but Lucina's more of a relevant character and shares his sword style. So, I'd say add:

- Lucina (she could possibly be a skin for Marth?)
- Kamek (Magikoopa), he's Mario's coolest enemy mook by far and everyone loves him!
- Tails or Knuckles, assuming Sonic returns I think a lot of people would love to see one or both of these two appear along side him.

Characters I would love to see join the cast, but know never will:
- Geno (Mario RPG), fuck you Square!

EDIT: WiiFit Trainer Confirmed...
I think she surpasses ROB levels of weird by a hair >.>

Hopefully we'll get more reveals before E3 is over.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I think they're definitely getting rid of Lucario in exchange for Mewtwo (Both in Regular and New Form), simply because Mewtwo is more beloved then Lucario is, and Nintendo usually listens to their fans on these types of matters. I also think Ike will be replaced with another Fire Emblem Character, like Roy was before him. Lastly, I don't think Toon Link is coming back.

Characters to Add:

- Starfy (The Legendary Starfy Series)
- Little Mac (Punch Out Series)
- King Hippo (Punch Out Series)

Characters I would love to see, but know never will:

- Dragon Hopper (From the Never Released "Dragon Hopper" Virtual Boy Game. He can even be Red and Black! As sort of a nod to the fact that the Virtual Boy Existed)
- Banjo Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie Series. Why'd you have to be bought out Rare? Why?!)

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
Lol how many fighting games is megaman in right now?
I'd like to see pokemon trainers from all regions using the different starters. Like how Red is using the Gen 1 starters, Gold/Kris can use Gen 2, May/Brandon can use Gen 3 Etc. They could use the same switching mechanics but have different movesets to reflect which pokemon they're using. That'd be awesome.

recruit00

Sep 18, 2010
I'm hoping for Shulk from Xenoblade and Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia. Xenoblade is published by Nintendo and Namco is developing. Please god give me this. Just so I can yell Demon Fang! at my floor mates and be thought of as a tool rather than insane.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
-At least one character from Golden Sun.
-At least one character form the Tales series (the first Tales game was on the Super Famicom).
-Would be hilarious to have a Jeigan assist trophy that deals massive damage if summoned early in the match but then becomes useless if summoned later.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
When did they ever say they were downsizing the cast? Last time I checked they just said they won't be adding as many characters as previous installments which means they will be making a larger roster but not as much larger as they did with the other games.

Personally I want to see Crystal added I think he staff would make for fun gameplay and I would also love to see Tiny and others from DK64 as unlikely as they are.

I also really want them to keep Ike as he was a really popular and fun character that was a lot different than everyone else being both heavy and a sword user.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
aba1 said:
When did they ever say they were downsizing the cast? Last time I checked they just said they won't be adding as many characters as previous installments which means they will be making a larger roster but not as much larger as they did with the other games.

Personally I want to see Crystal added I think he staff would make for fun gameplay and I would also love to see Tiny and others from DK64 as unlikely as they are.

I also really want them to keep Ike as he was a really popular and fun character that was a lot different than everyone else being both heavy and a sword user.
An old article: http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a391244/super-smash-bros-wii-u-will-have-new-direction-smaller-roster.html

It's pretty old news, so I imagine their direction may have changed since then. If they intend to keep the same roster size while introducing new character they will certainly cut some character out.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
-Isaac or Matt from Golden Sun
-Little Mac from Punch-Out
-Chrom from Fire Emblem: Awakening
-Mike from Startropics
-Palutena or Hades from Kid Icarus

Demolition_Human

May 11, 2013
I agree with the notion of putting Little mac in Smash Bros.! He is perfect for it!! :D Also I would like to see some of the new characters from Fire Emblem Awakening!! That would be pretty good too. c:

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Gone: R.O.B., Ike, Lucas, Wolf, Lucario, Toon Link, Snake (probably)

In: Krystal, Palutena, Little Mac, Chrom, Dillon, Pac-Man

Maybe platform-specific? Shulk (WiiU), Isaac (3DS)

There's a chance: Takamaru, Saki, Starfy, Heracles, Patty Wagon

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
-I predict Lucario gets replaced with either Zoroark, or Mewtwo (with the form changing).

-Ike gets replaced by a current Fire Emblem character (Most likely Chrom),
Marth will stay, he's more relevant now than he's ever really been before.
(He also stars in 4 games in the FE series, and cameos in Awakening, more games than any other FE main character).

-I hope for one Golden Sun character.

-I hope they remove Toon Link in favor of a different Zelda character (Grahm perhaps? He'd be entertaining and creepy). Add the loftwing to Link's moveset.

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
Looks like Wii Fit trainer girl's gonna be playable...
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=204716
o_O.... hmmm...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
suntt123 said:
o_O.... hmmm...
I... have no words...

Are they for real?!?

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Fappy said:
suntt123 said:
o_O.... hmmm...
I... have no words...

Are they for real?!?
Definitely a weird choice, I must admit... I didn't see it coming... Still, there've been weirder choices for characters...

EDIT: Actually, this might make even more sense, if Nintendo is serious about getting rid of Clones in this new Smash Bros. I mean, who the heck can a yoga instructor copy? No one really...

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I'll be surprised if Bayonetta isn't in there, seeing as how it's a Nintendo franchise now.

Also I hope Sonic's back and goddammit bring back Mewtwo!

recruit00

Sep 18, 2010
She better be an assist trophy. If she is playable, no one will play her. Or she'll end up being OP and people will hate it.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
Fappy said:
suntt123 said:
o_O.... hmmm...
I... have no words...

Are they for real?!?
Definitely a weird choice, I must admit... I didn't see it coming... Still, there've been weirder choices for characters...

EDIT: Actually, this might make even more sense, if Nintendo is serious about getting rid of Clones in this new Smash Bros. I mean, who the heck can a yoga instructor copy? No one really...
I just now found that video. There are no words.

She's certainly.. unique.
It is interesting though to see the characters Nintendo is putting in the new Smash Bros. I mean with her and Villager it seems like they really want to make things different this time around. I've always found it strange that they've included characters that don't actually fight in their own games like the Ice Climbers or Captain Falcon, but it seems they've really ramped it up this time around.

I'll be looking forward to see what characters they come out with next.

recruit00 said:
She better be an assist trophy. If she is playable, no one will play her. Or she'll end up being OP and people will hate it.
She's confirmed as playable.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010

Here's the reveal. I admit, I think it works. No worse than ROB. And hopefully all the new reveals get a little video like this.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I ask for one character, and one character only Nintendo.

Give me Bayonetta, and I will love you.

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
Wha? Wii it Trainer? What the actual fuck!? I thought Sakurai said he was going to streamline the roster, hence why Yoshi/Zelda weren't in the initial trailers but a ton of others were! Oh, well, at least we have Megaman. $10 bucks says Zero will find his way in in some form, at least as an assist trophy.

My returning character bet chart:

Zelda/Shiek
Yoshi
Marth
Mewtwo
Charizard
Diddy Kong
Ness
C. Falcs
Luigi
Jiggs
Reworked Ganondorf.

A Link clone definitely won't be in this one. Toon Link is conformed to be a stage hazard in a Spirit tracks level for 3DS.

I'm betting ROB, Mr G&W, and Lucario's times are over. Possibly the same for Lucas.