New Super Smash Bros. Roster Discussion

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
If Nintendo made some original games lately instead or Mario sequels and Zelda remakes. They would new and interesting characters to add to Super Smash Bros. WiiFit Trainer just seems like a pathetic attempt to add a character to SSB as a excuse to make a new one and get more money.

What they should be doing is make new titles so when the new console generation rolls around they have a wide range of characters to select from to go into SSB.

LifelessArt

Jun 6, 2013
Kaxbe said:
If anything, the F.L,U.D.D. cannon will probably be leaving Mario's moveset. The reason it was added in the first place was to connect Mario to recent games. So you can probably expect a new Mario move inspired by Super Mario Galaxy.
I really hope it does get cut before the final release of the game, but, unfortunately, game play footage says otherwise as he was still using the F.L.U.D.D cannon, though it did look like the beam of water was more concentrated. Still, unless it does some actual damage or prevents oncoming projectiles and can actually fire in a straight line then it is basically useless.

Cazza said:
If Nintendo made some original games lately instead or Mario sequels and Zelda remakes. They would new and interesting characters to add to Super Smash Bros. WiiFit Trainer just seems like a pathetic attempt to add a character to SSB as a excuse to make a new one and get more money.

What they should be doing is make new titles so when the new console generation rolls around they have a wide range of characters to select from to go into SSB.
I do agree with you. Nintendo really should work harder to move out of their comfort zone, but it's not all bad.Some of the new titles coming out look quite fun to play. Also, like you, I did not have high hopes for the Wii Fit Trainer but my attitude for her has done a complete 180 once I saw her in action.

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
Cazza said:

They have made new titles though. Quite a few actually. Pushmo/Crashmo, Dilon's Rolling Western, Sakura Samurai and Xenoblade are all pretty recent. It's just that none of these guys made it into Smash Bros.... Yet....

EDIT:
Besides, She's probably just a 'lol' character, akin to Mr Game and Watch

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Nazulu said:
I'm surprised they didn't use the Wii Fitness Trainer as a secret character, that would catch everyone off.

Would love to see Sonic and Knuckles as a team, and Megaman with Zero as another team since that's possible now. Also, a Castlevania team would be awesome.

Oh I hope the the game play will be an improvement over Brawls.
Tripping is out. It's already an improvement.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
McMarbles said:
Nazulu said:
I'm surprised they didn't use the Wii Fitness Trainer as a secret character, that would catch everyone off.

Would love to see Sonic and Knuckles as a team, and Megaman with Zero as another team since that's possible now. Also, a Castlevania team would be awesome.

Oh I hope the the game play will be an improvement over Brawls.
Tripping is out. It's already an improvement.
We all knew they were going to remove that.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
I dunno if anyone's done something like this yet, but I'd like to share in the (official?) smash roster thread my idea of what Mega Man's move set will probably be like that I posted in another thread.

A neutral: buster shots

A up: mega upper

A down: slide

A side: buster shots (walking)

A dash: top spin

---

A smash side: mega buster

A smash down: flame blast

A smash up: spark shock

---

A aerial neutral: probably buster shots

A aerial forward: flame sword

A aerial back: slash claw

A aerial down: hard knuckle

A aerial up: ??? unknown

---

B neutral: metal blades

B down: leaf shield

B side: crash bomber

B up: rush coil

---

Grab: super arm

simmeh

Jan 25, 2009
Aiddon said:
-Mike from Startropics
Marry me.

But seriously, Nintendo should do something with this franchise, even if it's only an assist trophy or a minor reference. Just enough so that us few, proud fans of it know that they haven't completely forgotten it.

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
Before I say my general thoughts on this I guess I'll answer the question posted at the start. So then;

As for the discussion: Who do you guys think WON'T be making the cut this time around?

Toon Link was always someone I thought would be removed but with the recent trailer showing him as part of the Spirit Tracks stage I am now certain of this fact. Here's hoping he is not replaced by yet another version of Link and that they either stick to having just three Legend of Zelda characters or have a different Legend of Zelda character (Tingle and Vaati, due to multiple appearances and key roles, are the only other likely ones).

Now I've seen a lot of people say Wolf should be cut but I oppose this on the grounds that he is a villain character, and there are not many of them in SSB. Furthermore his B, forward B, and up B differ more than Falco?s does to Fox. So I personally believe Falco will be removed, most likely in favour of Krystal.

The reason Mewtwo was not placed in Brawl, and replaced with Lucario is because they felt that there were too many generation 1 representatives... and yet added in Generation 1 Pokémon Trainer. I really do think Pokémon Trainer both should and will most likely be replaced by a black/white or X/Y trainer whilst Lucario will stay as he represents a different generation to Pikachu and Jigglypuff. I'm personally hoping for N, rather than personality lacking protagonist.

Finally, I'd like to see Lucas removed... or at least have his moveset altered.

I will also add that I fear R.O.B. may get removed, as his reason for being in the game was more for the purpose of story, although I hope not as he is one of favourite characters.

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
As for the new characters and my thoughts on them; well in the case of Animal Crossing, I felt they deserved a representative, as they had everything but a character in brawl. I'm disappointed to see that it's not Tom Nook but simply undefined protagonist, but he does play how I imagined an Animal Crossing representative would and I love how the fandom has reacted to him.

Mega man had me worried for a second but thankfully it's already been mentioned that third party characters will be kept to a minimum; http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/06/third_party_characters_in_smash_bros_to_be_kept_to_a_minimum. With that being confirmed I have nothing but love for this choice, he deserves a spot in SSB, and I find his playstyle interesting.

Finally there is Wii Fit Trainer. Sakurai wanted a character that no one expected, and well... we certainly didn't expect that. It's questionable when you mention it but the video showed her off well and she looks to have a well-made move-set and fighting style. It's also nice to see a new female character, and while there are plenty of other female characters that could have been chosen, it's nice to see a female character that represents a new series.

As for characters I want to see appear, I personally think (and would to see) that Ridley and Little Mac are long overdue a playable role. It was nice to see them included in Brawl but I want them playable and think they deserve it. My most wanted character though would be Lip from Panel de Pon (Puzzle League), but while there are quite a few reasons she?d be good for the game?s line up I don?t think her chances are all that high. Still, one can dream.

Other characters I?d love to see as playable characters include Shy Guy (unlikely but another Yoshi representative would be great), Ashley, Tingle, Starfy, Samurai Goroh and Medusa. I don?t think the Kirby series needs another representative but I won?t complain if another one is in, it is my favourite series after all, and I would love see N, or at least a Black/white/X/Y trainer replace the current Pokémon trainer. I would say Grovyle from Pokémon Mystery Dungeons series but I highly doubt he will appear (a stage however would be likely and epic).

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Kaxbe said:
Klonoa, is a better fit, in my opinion.
GIVE THIS TO ME NOW!
I will buy a Wii U just for Klonoa in SSB alone!

Maybe also someone from Golden Sun?
[sub]Isaac maybe?
Please...
No?
ok....[/sub]

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Fappy said:
aba1 said:
When did they ever say they were downsizing the cast? Last time I checked they just said they won't be adding as many characters as previous installments which means they will be making a larger roster but not as much larger as they did with the other games.

Personally I want to see Crystal added I think he staff would make for fun gameplay and I would also love to see Tiny and others from DK64 as unlikely as they are.

I also really want them to keep Ike as he was a really popular and fun character that was a lot different than everyone else being both heavy and a sword user.
An old article: http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a391244/super-smash-bros-wii-u-will-have-new-direction-smaller-roster.html

It's pretty old news, so I imagine their direction may have changed since then. If they intend to keep the same roster size while introducing new character they will certainly cut some character out.
Funny that the reason they cite is that "huge character rosters are hard to balance." As we all know SSB has always been one of the most balanced fighting games (/sarcasm).

Unless... this time they are TRYING to make it balanced.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
You know what could be cool? Given the focus on cutting down on clone characters, if they completely overhauled Luigi's moveset to incorporate the Poltergust. It'd be interesting to see how it would work, and I'm picturing a new final smash, where he flicks the switch from suck to blow, and floods the screen with ghosts to attack his opponents...

Hero of Lime said:
One fighter I really want: Mask Link. He would work like Pokemon trainer where you can switch between Deku Link, Goron Link, and Zora Link, and the final smash? Fierce Deity Link, make this happen Nintendo! Also, if Ganondorf returns, give him his own moveset with a sword, better yet there should be no clones in general.
That has the potential to be so OP... I like it.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
recruit00 said:
I'm hoping for Shulk from Xenoblade and Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia. Xenoblade is published by Nintendo and Namco is developing. Please god give me this. Just so I can yell Demon Fang! at my floor mates and be thought of as a tool rather than insane.
Monolith Soft is a first part developer under Nintendo after they bought them from Namco which does mean that there's nothing in terms of copyright preventing them, Monolith Soft even had a part in making Brawl. I also agree that I would like to see at least one Tales character make an appearance.

I would also like to see the new form of Mewtwo as a character. I can't wait for the next character to be revealed!

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Starik20X6 said:
You know what could be cool? Given the focus on cutting down on clone characters, if they completely overhauled Luigi's moveset to incorporate the Poltergust. It'd be interesting to see how it would work, and I'm picturing a new final smash, where he flicks the switch from suck to blow, and floods the screen with ghosts to attack his opponents...

Hero of Lime said:
One fighter I really want: Mask Link. He would work like Pokemon trainer where you can switch between Deku Link, Goron Link, and Zora Link, and the final smash? Fierce Deity Link, make this happen Nintendo! Also, if Ganondorf returns, give him his own moveset with a sword, better yet there should be no clones in general.
That has the potential to be so OP... I like it.
As much as I would love to have a Link be super OP, I'd imagine each form would have plenty of weaknesses similar to the Pokemon Trainer. I do agree that Luigi needs his own moveset that uses the Poltergust, and the clones need to be cut down a lot.