New Super Smash Bros. Roster Discussion

Sep 13, 2009
DrOswald said:
To be fair, as much as I hate Metroid Other M the Varia suit looked really good. It only makes sense for them to take that model and touch it up for the new Smash Bros.
I don't mind the varia suit but I still don't like it as much as Prime's. Other M's art direction was the first thing that turned me off the game, it felt like a huge step back.

chozo_hybrid said:
Who says it has to be from Other M (I'd be fine with Anthony if they do come from there.) when they had Toon Link in Brawl, he was a same franchise different game kind of character. A Metroid fan can hope.
While true, the fact that they're using the suit means that they're acknowledging the game! Quite likely as cannon. Even if they use other regular characters they're likely to be Other M's versions. Which means if we get Ridley, it'll likely be this one:

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
The Almighty Aardvark said:
I could live with that to be honest, there's nothing offensive to me as a fan about that incarnation of him being in a Smash Bros game.

KingWein22

Jun 4, 2010
Well, if they don't include the ones already mentioned (by the fans, that is), I thought of a alternate way:

Make some DLC stuff for the game. I know there are people out there that would love to keep a # of characters from the previous games so give them a SSBB, SSBM and/or a SSB64 package. In it can include characters snubbed but brought back by popular demand, stages that everyone loved back in the day (Excluding Final Destination and Battlefield of course), and music tracks. Maybe even put some skins of the previous games as well.

LifelessArt

Jun 6, 2013
When I first saw the Wii Fit Girl I thought that if this was an attempt at a joke character it was a little underwhelming, and then I thought that if she was an attempt to add more female characters to the roster that it was still rather underwhelming seeing as Nintendo has so many more female characters from various franchises that would have worked so much better, but after seeing her game play video my whole attitude changed. Her move set, smash attacks, and final smash all look incredibly powerful and her fluidity allows for easy combos.

However, there is one thing that I do not enjoy about the video and that is the fact that it seems as if some of the characters still have their original moves from previous games. It's nice to see that Pit has been updated a little, but why does Mario, Samus, and the like all have the same exact moves from the previous Smash Bros. installment? I'm hoping that before the game is released that these characters will also get an updated move list, but it is highly unlikely that this will happen.

As for a desired roster of new characters I would love to see the following:

-Skull Kid
-Midna
-Leon Powalski
-Krystal
-Klonoa (namco representative)
-Amy Rose (2nd Sega representative)
-Bowser Jr.
-Raichu

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I got a new character idea!

Imajin, one of the main characters from "Doki Doki Panic!" (The original Super Mario Bros. 2)

Kaxbe

Jun 4, 2013
I actually liked all of the characters from Brawl, so I feel it would be a shame to let any of them go completely aside from clones.

Does Villager really look like a Game & Watch clone to you all? I see a few similarities, but nothing too major which would mean getting rid Game & Watch entirely.

With NAMCO involvement, Pac-man seems likely, as he is their legacy mascot character, but their other mascot, Klonoa, is a better fit, in my opinion.

Wii Fit Trainer has no 3DS screenshots on her page on the smash website. Maybe there's a possibility of console-exclusive characters?

RogueportJack

Jun 13, 2013
Kaxbe said:
Wii Fit Trainer has no 3DS screenshots on her page on the smash website. Maybe there's a possibility of console-exclusive characters?
I sure hope not :/ I've been thinking about selling my 3DS, and if they split the roster I wouldn't wanna have to buy that version to play a cool character. I really hope Nintendo doesn't jump on the DLC bandwagon either.

Kaxbe

Jun 4, 2013
RogueportJack said:
Kaxbe said:
I sure hope not :/ I've been thinking about selling my 3DS, and if they split the roster I wouldn't wanna have to buy that version to play a cool character. I really hope Nintendo doesn't jump on the DLC bandwagon either.
I don't think you'll have to worry about DLC in the new Smash. Hasn't Sakurai been a huge stickler for releasing games in full?

capcha: together again

I hope so, dude. They better get the whole band back together .

RogueportJack

Jun 13, 2013
Kaxbe said:
RogueportJack said:
Kaxbe said:
I don't think you'll have to worry about DLC in the new Smash. Hasn't Sakurai been a huge stickler for releasing games in full?

capcha: together again

I hope so, dude. They better get the whole band back together .
Is he? That's good to hear then! I've just heard a few people suggest the idea. While I'm not inherently opposed to DLC, I am opposed to day 1 DLC. If they want to add characters later, cool. But if they cut characters to purposefully make me pay more for them... ech!

vid87

May 17, 2010
How could I forget Rayman? He owes his 2nd life to the Wii.

Also, honest curiosity - is there anyone who ACTUALLY wants to see Raichu, or is that pure speculation? I was under the impression that no one even wants him in the Pokemon games themselves.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I'm surprised they didn't use the Wii Fitness Trainer as a secret character, that would catch everyone off.

Would love to see Sonic and Knuckles as a team, and Megaman with Zero as another team since that's possible now. Also, a Castlevania team would be awesome.

Oh I hope the the game play will be an improvement over Brawls.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
The Almighty Aardvark said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Who says it has to be from Other M (I'd be fine with Anthony if they do come from there.) when they had Toon Link in Brawl, he was a same franchise different game kind of character. A Metroid fan can hope.
While true, the fact that they're using the suit means that they're acknowledging the game! Quite likely as cannon. Even if they use other regular characters they're likely to be Other M's versions. Which means if we get Ridley, it'll likely be this one:
Oh God. Kill it! I can't believe how terrible it looks. Actually I can since it's a Sonic 06' equivalent for Samus. That's why I'm waiting before I get a Wii U.

Anyway, I couldn't imagine them using any of the bosses as a playable character in Smash Brothers because they have always been shown to be so big and intimidating. Would Ridley work being the size of Bowser or anything else?

LifelessArt

Jun 6, 2013
vid87 said:
Also, honest curiosity - is there anyone who ACTUALLY wants to see Raichu, or is that pure speculation? I was under the impression that no one even wants him in the Pokemon games themselves.
I would love to see Raichu in the roster, but not as a simple clone of Pikachu. I want him to have his very own smash attacks and final smash.

Also, here is an interesting article for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/14/e3-2013-namco-bandai-characters-receive-no-priority-for-super-smash-bros

penguindude42

Nov 14, 2010
The only fighters I'm expecting to leave are Ike, Snake, and Falco, while other new arrivals are
Knuckles, Saki, Isaac, Little Mac, Richter Belmont, and Namco-Bandai's Lloyd Irving and Klonoa.
There might also be some moveset changes, like Ness and Lucas having PK Rockin' and PK Love as their Final Smashes for once, or Sonic getting nerfed, or Ganon using two swords like he did in The Wind Waker.

But now, the characters I can only hope for:

-The Avatar, from the Ultima series
-Sam and/or Max (their FS could be Max's driving)
-Optimus Prime (LOL)

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
honestly, the only characters i totally expect to return are the classic 12, some of which have already been confirmed (yoshi, luigi, capt. falcon, ness and jigglypuff have not yet). outside of those 12, i would bet on zelda, peach, wario, another pokemon & ganondorf (with a moveset that differentiates him more from capt. falcon) though. falco has a good chance, but i expect mr. game & watch will leave. waluigi might be added, and olimar and diddy kong might return as well. ice climbers have been specifically mentioned in the dev. diary, but they mentioned they're having problems with them on the 3DS (not that it won't be resolved).

as for 3rd party, i think sonic deserves to return and pac-man seems like the obvious choice from namco. btw, i am ecstatic for mega man (see my avatar). i would love simon belmont if they can get the rights from konami, but castlevania seems to be a pretty dark game for such a bright set of characters. i don't expect more than 3 or 4 third party characters though, as the focus should be on nintendo franchises.

also, remember that the devs have mentioned they don't want to increase the roster and keep the roster balanced and unique.

LifelessArt

Jun 6, 2013
Okay, so I don't know if this officially belongs here, but I see no real reason to open a whole new thread when the subject will remain on Super Smash Bros.

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/super-smash-bros-wii-and-3ds-wont-feature-cross-platform-play-6410323/

This article basically mentions that there will be no cross play between the 3DS version and the WiiU version, but if you look closely there is mention of customized characters. This could imply that Sakurai has added some form of character customization to the new video game.

Kaxbe

Jun 4, 2013
LifelessArt said:
Okay, so I don't know if this officially belongs here, but I see no real reason to open a whole new thread when the subject will remain on Super Smash Bros.

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/super-smash-bros-wii-and-3ds-wont-feature-cross-platform-play-6410323/

This article basically mentions that there will be no cross play between the 3DS version and the WiiU version, but if you look closely there is mention of customized characters. This could imply that Sakurai has added some form of character customization to the new video game.
The only type of customization I can picture is that of a Mii.

LifelessArt

Jun 6, 2013
Kaxbe said:
I was thinking something on the same line, but I really, really, REALLY hope Sakurai has added, at the very least, the ability to switch between different smash attacks. For example, instead of having Mario's F.L.U.D.D cannon he could have the Mario tornado spin...ahh, one can dream.

Kaxbe

Jun 4, 2013
LifelessArt said:
Kaxbe said:
I was thinking something on the same line, but I really, really, REALLY hope Sakurai has added, at the very least, the ability to switch between different smash attacks. For example, instead of having Mario's F.L.U.D.D cannon he could have the Mario tornado spin...ahh, one can dream.
If anything, the F.L,U.D.D. cannon will probably be leaving Mario's moveset. The reason it was added in the first place was to connect Mario to recent games. So you can probably expect a new Mario move inspired by Super Mario Galaxy.