New Total War

Prometherion

Jan 7, 2009
Id love to see Mongol total war. I think the TW series has too much emphasis on western europe and central asia is mostly overlooked.

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
I Don't think a modern based one would would work particularly well, any total war game has to take place in a time period where warfare utilizes large formations of troops that are just not seen nowadays. Heard a lot of calls for Rome 2, but does Rome really need remaking, I honestly doubt a success like that can be repeated. If anything medieval needs another bash at, it was good but it could be better, seriously CA hire a few more historians this time round.(although I suspect only I really care)

Possible I'll be only one to think of this but you could base a TW game on medieval Wales, I can't be the only one to want a middle earth total war, space battles would also be pretty cool.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
Captain Pancake said:
a WW1 total war could work. Anything more modern than that would be problematic to keep in the style of total war.
It would even be pretty amazing.The game would be bogged down and casualties high at the start of the game,but near the end,it would be a rush to get tanks and breaking enemy lines.
Artillery could still be implemented like it has been in the past,but as for planes,I think it should be some sort of off-map support.
If fact,you could have smaller pieces of artillery on the field,and bigger pieces off-map during battle,but that are still part of the army you move around on the campaign map.

Even the newer tech tree the Total War series would go along with it.You can researsh offensive upgrades like tanks and better plane weapons,or defensive upgrades like gasmasks.

It would be rather brutal,and a huge constrast to Shogun 2,where you have fewer armies and choose your battles carefully.

Hazzaslagga

Sep 18, 2009
Something to take us away from the one on one close combat in empire/shogun 2. It was a nice change but the combat in romeTW looked like a team effort by the whole unit(they could push the enemy back/cut through formations and stuff). So i think i'm in favour of rome 2.

EradiusLore

Jun 29, 2010
Ordinaryundone said:
Rome 2. Barring that, Three Kingdoms: Total War.
Three Kingdoms era would be awesome to see in a total war game, maybe a collaboration between Koei and Creative Assembly is in order!

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
GundamSentinel said:
Either Rome 2 or Ancient Greece. Greek city states warring with each other and Persians thrown in would make my day.
Yeah, have them randomly jump in like the Golden Horde did in the original Medieval.

That'd be fun.

SenorNemo

Mar 14, 2011
I really don't think modern (or WW1) would work for a Total War style game, but I'd be happy if they did modern, but went the Men of War/Company of Heroes route.

Rome 2 would be pretty sweet, as would warring states period China, as might be something set around the Crimean War/American Civil War time period (though I suppose that'd be only slightly different than Napoleon Total War).

Of course, I'm still hoping for a mac version of Shogun 2. Oh well, it'll probably only be a decade or so.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
Steampunk total war!

Or at least empire but going up to early 20th century and allowing for certain nearly invented but not quite things such as Mr Babagges computers being made and zeplins, lots of zeplins.

Uskis

Apr 21, 2008
TheIronRuler said:
They should do the middle east, or the orient.
I don't know too much about that period, but it could be interesting around and before the rise of Islam. I think the region was very divided at that time. Turkish and Greek tribes in Western Anatolia, different arab warlords on the golden crescent. Halfway through or earlier in the game Islam is discovered and the conquest of the prophet Mohammed and his followers begin. How do you manage? convert from paganism and join in hope of getting influence in the khaliphate or do you resist and hold on to pagan religion/early christianity?

Could be interesting

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Uskis said:
TheIronRuler said:
They should do the middle east, or the orient.
I don't know too much about that period, but it could be interesting around and before the rise of Islam. I think the region was very divided at that time. Turkish and Greek tribes in Western Anatolia, different arab warlords on the golden crescent. Halfway through or earlier in the game Islam is discovered and the conquest of the prophet Mohammed and his followers begin. How do you manage? convert from paganism and join in hope of getting influence in the khaliphate or do you resist and hold on to pagan religion/early christianity?

Could be interesting
Christian and Jew tribes where a bit uncommon at the time. Most were pagans.
But I get the idea.
You either stand up and fight against the spread of the religion or succumb to Islam. It could be done, but I doubt there'll be a noteworthy mechanism that'll seperate it rom the others in the series.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Exocet said:
Captain Pancake said:
a WW1 total war could work. Anything more modern than that would be problematic to keep in the style of total war.
It would even be pretty amazing.The game would be bogged down and casualties high at the start of the game,but near the end,it would be a rush to get tanks and breaking enemy lines.
Artillery could still be implemented like it has been in the past,but as for planes,I think it should be some sort of off-map support.
If fact,you could have smaller pieces of artillery on the field,and bigger pieces off-map during battle,but that are still part of the army you move around on the campaign map.

Even the newer tech tree the Total War series would go along with it.You can researsh offensive upgrades like tanks and better plane weapons,or defensive upgrades like gasmasks.

It would be rather brutal,and a huge constrast to Shogun 2,where you have fewer armies and choose your battles carefully.
I don't think aircraft would play a large part in it, as they didn't in the actual war. However, you could implement them as a sort of 'agent' like in empire, to reveal the map so you can see what the enemy are moving around, and if you're close enough, the exact numbers. Cavalry could be an early game line breaker, that is obsoleted by machine guns and replaced technologically by tanks. Artillery could have an alternate ammunition in the form of gas shells, which would be useful in breaking enemy morale, and trenches could serve as a garrisonable defense. The possibilities are actually quite staggering, come to think of it.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I'd like a Total War where they didn't sell you half the factions after the games released.

I'd also enjoy being able to play as a minor nation, even if it had no bonuses. I wanted to play as Denmark in napoleon ok. Why the hell couldn't I?

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
Captain Pancake said:
Exocet said:
I don't think aircraft would play a large part in it, as they didn't in the actual war. However, you could implement them as a sort of 'agent' like in empire, to reveal the map so you can see what the enemy are moving around, and if you're close enough, the exact numbers. Cavalry could be an early game line breaker, that is obsoleted by machine guns and replaced technologically by tanks. Artillery could have an alternate ammunition in the form of gas shells, which would be useful in breaking enemy morale, and trenches could serve as a garrisonable defense. The possibilities are actually quite staggering, come to think of it.
That's the beauty of the time period.At first,you think it's just lame wait in trenches for things to happen,but with the amount of things that can happen,and it's all you that does it,it quickly becomes a large and varied game.
But when I said planes,I really meant primitive things,like dropping grenades at first,but near the end of the war,using real,yet rather small bombs.I will have to research the subject further.

As for agents,other than the recon plane,I'm not sure what could be used.Diplomats?Spies?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I really don't care as long as it doesen't go back to Gun Powder ages. Total War is only good with swords and Bows. No gunpowder weapons. I mean in Medieval 2 the few gunpowder units didn't dominate the armies. I found them usless. But on Empire, that was all that was effective. Swords were down right useless. I hated that.