New Trailer For Rise Of The Tomb Raider May Cause Chills

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
New Trailer For Rise Of The Tomb Raider May Cause Chills

This is not shorts weather.

Square Enix released a new video for Rise of the Tomb Raider, the sequel to the 2013 reboot of the adventures of videogame archaeologist Lara Croft. The trailer features our heroine battling the elements as she works her way across a frozen mountain range, discovering a cave entrance after a dramatic ascent of a sheer wall of ice nearly ends with a deadly plummet.

I'm feeling cold just watching it.

It is, of course, a cinematic and therefore not wholly representative of the gameplay. Footage of the title in action is no doubt coming in the next couple of weeks, as the video concludes with the announcement that a "world premiere" will occur at Microsoft's E3 2015 Briefing event.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is planned for release as a timed exclusive on Xbox consoles late in 2015. Versions are in development for both Xbox One and Xbox 360 consoles. Crystal Dynamics, the studio responsible for every major franchise entry since the 2006 title Tomb Raider: Legend, is developing the Xbox One release. Work on the Xbox 360 release is being handled by Nixxes, similarly experienced in porting to PC every Tomb Raider title Crystal Dynamics has previously developed.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AonHaZO7soQ]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
YES PLS

What really gives me hope in these trailers is that there's no graceful way to add human enemies. It might really be Lara v Wild this time, like the first Tomb Raider! :D

killerbee256

Aug 14, 2014
lacktheknack said:
YES PLS

What really gives me hope in these trailers is that there's no graceful way to add human enemies. It might really be Lara v Wild this time, like the first Tomb Raider! :D
But Lara fought human enemies in the first tomb raider, but it was as bosses not standard enemies.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
killerbee256 said:
lacktheknack said:
YES PLS

But Lara fought human enemies in the first tomb raider, but it was as bosses not standard enemies.
Sure, but at least it made sense for a determined and respected archaeologist to get in gunfights with three powerful and specific mooks.

Compare this to, say, the absolute genocide of Tomb Raiders III, IV, V, AoD, Legend, Legend, Legend, Underworld, Legend, 2013 and OH GOD LEGEND.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Still that horrible voice actress, ey? *tsk tsk tsk*

And are they really going to push her urge to discover as some sort of emotional drama? Because in the previous game I could kind of feel sorry for her since she got stranded, but if she's just going to look for trouble and then find it, I'm really not going get invested in her plight.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Casual Shinji said:

And are they really going to push her urge to discover as some sort of emotional drama? Because in the previous game I could kind of feel sorry for her since she got stranded, but if she's just going to look for trouble and then find it, I'm really not going get invested in her plight.
Ah right. XD

Yeah, uhm, I was listening to that accent and seriously thinking 'there is something very wrong with lara's accent'. I've spent a long time living in England, and that... Just doesn't sound like anyone from there...
~shrug~ oh well.

Anyway... Another tomb raider. OK then.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
CrystalShadow said:
Casual Shinji said:

Ah right. XD

Yeah, uhm, I was listening to that accent and seriously thinking 'there is something very wrong with lara's accent'. I've spent a long time living in England, and that... Just doesn't sound like anyone from there...
~shrug~ oh well.

I would say that her accent is made up with a lot of New Zealand in it - supported a bit by the slight lisp that Lara appears to have at times when talking. Incidentally, I have always found the way New Zealand women talk, as very attractive. So this current voice actress does not bother me at all.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Falling Simulator returns! Time to, once again, cringe at every moan and sigh poor Lara emits while she permanently grafts her skin onto the gravel.

PS: I wasn't the only one who wanted to throttle her for that accent, right?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Am I the only one wondering what the fuck she's doing wearing shorts while climbing a frozen mountain top?

Oh, and judging by the number of massive ice chunks that hit her directly in the face...pretty sure she's dead after that fall. :p

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
CrystalShadow said:
Casual Shinji said:

Ah right. XD

~shrug~ oh well.

Well, I don't know if it's the accent, she just has a way of speaking that's extremely off putting to me. Think Keira Knightley, but worse. Her shouts and grunts especially are like nails on a chalkboard.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Am I the only one wondering what the fuck she's doing wearing shorts while climbing a frozen mountain top?
I think those are just really tight pants because Lara Croft.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
RJ 17 said:
I think those are just really tight pants because Lara Croft.
In re-watching the trailer, you can indeed see a pocket on her left leg when she lights the flare, so super-tight pants it is.

...still doesn't change the fact that taking even one of those ice-chunks to the face would snap her neck...if not crack her skull.

killerbee256

Aug 14, 2014
lacktheknack said:
killerbee256 said:
lacktheknack said:
YES PLS

Sure, but at least it made sense for a determined and respected archaeologist to get in gunfights with three powerful and specific mooks.

Compare this to, say, the absolute genocide of Tomb Raiders III, IV, V, AoD, Legend, Legend, Legend, Underworld, Legend, 2013 and OH GOD LEGEND.
Funny thing I own all those because of a steam sale, but I don't think I'll played any beyond III.

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
I'm pretty sure that avalanche will be yet another prolonged QTE sequence? whee? probably followed by some brutal pickaxe murders.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
All this salt and cynicism in this thread. Don't you guys ever get tired of being cool?

Johnny Thunder

May 18, 2014
lacktheknack said:
All this salt and cynicism in this thread. Don't you guys ever get tired of being cool?
I believe that Microsoft and Square Enix have given the Tomb Raider fans more than enough reason to be salty and cynical.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Johnny Thunder said:
lacktheknack said:
I believe that Microsoft and Square Enix have given the Tomb Raider fans more than enough reason to be salty and cynical.
Seeing that Tomb Raider was my GotY 2103, I'm not seeing it. Everything about this looks as good or better than before thus far, timed-exclusive aside (although heaven knows I wasn't going to buy it early anyways).

This may be in part because I am WAAAAAAAAY more of a Tomb Raider fanboy than pretty much anyone else on this site.

Tornix

Oct 13, 2010
So it came, despite that Squeenix called the previous game a commercial failure because it failed to reach sale expectations... Even though it sold really well.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
lacktheknack said:

You really think I'm cool? *blush*

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Shorts or tight pants, she does not look half-ready to go out in that weather. Suspension of disbelief mode activating. Anti pre-rendered teaser trailer defenses online.

Also, I got a lot of catching up to do, since I played about 2 minutes of 2013 to test my system.
Tornix said:
So it came, despite that Squeenix called the previous game a commercial failure because it failed to reach sale expectations... Even though it sold really well.
It's pretty much the typical publisher whining to subliminally try and get more sales. "Boohoo, our big budget title made us lots of money, but not the mountains of cash we wanted. You are all lucky it even came out. BTW, the sequel's coming soon. Get hyped!"

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again with this one.