New Vegas: Why Join the Legion?

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Byzantinium said:
I joined them the first time because I'm a big classics nerd. But after seeing that there is no Senate, no Virgil, no great works of architecture or technology, and no rule of law...I regretted it.

The Legion isn't Rome, it's the barbarian hordes pounding at the Republic's gates.

So, I'm a House man.
The Legion isn't Rome, it's the Roman Army on campaign.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Mr F. said:
Out of interest what does the legion think about the Followers of the Apocalypse and vice-versa? Its been a while since I replayed the game. Caesar seems to be a rational guy, if the Followers were to rebuild in the stability of the Legion that would be a future that is not too horrific.
Caesar was part of the Followers of the Apocalypse, so whilst he doesn't allow them to be a competing power structure, If he's alive in a Legion victory they are allowed safe passage out of the wasteland.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
GloatingSwine said:
Mr F. said:
Out of interest what does the legion think about the Followers of the Apocalypse and vice-versa? Its been a while since I replayed the game. Caesar seems to be a rational guy, if the Followers were to rebuild in the stability of the Legion that would be a future that is not too horrific.
Caesar was part of the Followers of the Apocalypse, so whilst he doesn't allow them to be a competing power structure, If he's alive in a Legion victory they are allowed safe passage out of the wasteland.
Its more a question of if the followers would be allowed to be integrated within the Legion. Hell, I had forgotten about his Follower background which, if anything, indicates that the whole Legion in the Mojave is an "Ends justify the Means" situation with something akin to real civilisation following. Wouldn't be the first.

The real question is could the military dictatorship of the Legion be able to evolve into something far more following the end of the needed expansion. Although the "Needed expansion" could be the entire continent. Which is bad. But, assuming they end up with Hegemony, they could end up with peace.

It just occurred to me that New Vegas could also be seen as an experiment with Political Theory. Caesar is quite obviously a Realist, believing the world is an anarchist system in which the only logical conclusion is the dominance of one superpower (Hegemon) that cannot be challenged which will as a result lead to peace. The NCR is quite obviously a Liberal Democracy (By political definition) with all of the problems that follow. The game can be seen to be a struggle between Liberalism and Realism.

Which makes it FAR more interesting in my eyes and justifys me playing New Vegas instead of doing any revision for my politics exam next Thursday.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
when i did my Legion playthrough (something i wasn't particularly looking forward to) something... unexpected happened. i found myself understanding Caesar's vision. yes, he does horrible things, but if you talk to him, you can see he's not just an insane dictator, but an honest visionary.

ward0630

Nov 25, 2009
Joining the Legion is basically joining the most badass group in the mojave. With the exception of First Recon, the NCR is pretty lame. Forlorn Hope is being overrun, McCarran is practically swamped with fiends, and the entire government has been tricked by a mummy into protecting one city and a giant concrete wall they can barely use or defend. The Legion, on the other hand, wields nothing but knifes, explosives, or their own fists except in rare occasions. Another reason is that you get to actually meet Cesear and learn about him. He's an interesting guy, who's lived a long life and has a real, tangible goal for the wasteland. By contrast, the only meeting you get with President Kimball is protecting him from Legion assassins.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
The NCR may be powerful, but its far removed form the Mojave and already has a comparably vast swath of land to manage back west. The Legion, on the other hand, has its territory literally right across the river in Arizona. Its closer, and has more military strength in the region. The only reason that the NCR holds out is because of superior tech.

The Legion is the Mad-max style of one tribe coming to dominate many others in the wasteland, the only reason its became so powerful, however, is because of Caeser, who had the benefit of education by the Followers and was able to institute Roman-esque values of discipline to it.

I think its a great faction for a Bad-Karma playthough of the game. Im personally fine with some black-and-white morality, but it also has real shades of grey, seeing as the NCR is similarly reprehensible in alot of ways. (only it comes off clean on the outside) Besides, in a tribal area like that, how do you think an empire is going to be forged, with love and huggles for all?

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Mr F. said:
Secondly, Cheers for pointing out another book I should read. I think its about time I got back into Sci-Fi
While you're at it you should pick up The Forever War and Roadside Picnic. Both really fantastic Sci-fi novels. Especially the Forever War which is probably the best Sci-fi I have ever read; and I'd say I'm surprised it's not more popular but given its powerful anti-war message I'm not all that surprised. "To say that The Forever War is the best science fiction war novel every written is to damn it with faint praise." -William Gibson. And frankly I can't wait to be pissed of when it gets bastardized by Ridley Scott and has all the subtle important points and the general theme ignored when they probably turn it into yet another action movie(I'm still bitter about i Robot.)

Mr F. said:
They don't like the Followers. The Followers believe in creating a better world not just by pursing technology but by trying to learn from the mistakes of the old world and become better for them. They stand for open mindedness, tolerance, and the betterment of technology. They already have no qualms in subverting the NCR and protesting against their military jingoism(hence their troubles with the NCR.) They would have just as few problems with steadfastly protesting the barbarisms of the Legion. And the Legion is much less likely to let them get away with badmouthing them.

If the game ends with Caesar alive and the Legion winning, he will let them leave the Mojave. His reasons for this are anyone's best guess. Could be he intends to eventually make use of some of their technology like farming techniques. Could be that he isn't so certain of his plans success and he still sees what the followers are doing as better than what the NCR or any other group is doing. Could be that he just respects his former comrades and gives them a pass. If however Caesar is dead, Legate Lannius will hunt down and execute every single member of the Followers he can get his hands on.

Mr F. said:
All of that said, I disliked New Vegas for the same reason I loved it. Civilisation. In FO3 you had a definite feeling that everything was fucked and your primary aim seemed to be survival. There was one major city and that place had a population that would be outclassed through adding a moderately sized trading post to Novac. New Vegas has the march of Civilisation, things are getting too... calm.
Without getting too much into it, Fallout 3 really didn't make much sense. The timeline was out of place and didn't fit with Fallout lore in so many different ways. It's a fine post apocalyptic RPG; but it's really not a Fallout game.

As I mention later in this post. New Vegas and Freeside were supposed to be a lot bigger, but Bethesda took too long in okaying the material, and being as the game was developed for a lump sum of money(They got nothing from actual game sales) they couldn't sit around forever waiting for Bethesda to give them the go ahead while they paid programmers to work extra on a game they weren't getting money from.

I wouldn't say things are getting calm either in fact they seem to be even less calm in FNV than previous Fallout games and less than F3 certainly. F3 had an entirely secure carrier where the only thing people complained about was how the edges of their homes were sharp and they might hurt themselves bumping into them. A place where scientists just chilled out freely doing experiments. Even the town literally sitting ontop of a nuke is magically bereft of any real problems beyond a dude in a suit who wants you to blow the place up. The slavers are totally fine unless you come and wipe them all out. There's even a town of freaking children who somehow haven't been murdered yet. It's like the easiest wasteland to survive in ever.

Meanwhile New Vegas is anything but calm. Legion raiding parties actively move across the river and hit targets. Ranger stations where you previously talk to some of the soldiers are annihilated and have mines planted everywhere. Powder gangers constantly harass and steal from travelers. Fiends are murdering and raping random people to the west. Even on the strip that looks outwardly secure we have groups of gangsters engaged in various schemes. They have sex slaves, they try to cannibalize people, they smuggle guns inside in order to start an armed rebellion. There are very few examples of people in the wasteland who aren't in some form of pretty immediate danger from other survivors. In, again, sharp contrast to F3 where you pretty much never hear about anyone hurting anyone else except in select rare circumstances or when you're specifically asked to join in. You don't hear about raiders picking off people from Megaton, you don't even see it. It's like everyone sits around twiddling their thumbs being swell and having a great time until the Vault Dweller shows up and then they run into the tiniest of problems like in the entire wasteland finally a single person has decided to be mean in one isolated case.

Frankly if I had to pick a place to live that was objectively better(read: easier to survive in) I would pick DC any day over the Mojave.

Mr F. said:
Hell, it is already established that the Brotherhood is a breakaway group from the real brotherhood, I think they should have aligned themselves with the Enclave and thus annihilate the petty conflict that was causing heavy casualties on the ONLY organized groups in the wasteland.
Of course they should have. But war, war never changes.

Thunderous Cacophony said:
Supporting the Legion seems like it would only lead to less opportunities, rather than more.
Of course it would and that's a bad thing for you, but a good thing for the people of the waste.

The opportunities you see in all the NCR character are resolving violent disputes over water rights, hunting bounties on rapist/murderer/lunatics, threatening mercenaries(or killing them) because they are harassing a peaceful mutant township. It's stuff that is interesting and more fun for you. But for a person realistically living in that wasteland, its a fucking nightmare. If there's anything 9/11 has taught us it's that people are willing to sacrifice any little bit of freedom and are willing to put up with a great deal of barbarism for a little peace of mind. And that is what the legion offers boredom and safety. You may not believe all the dozens of characters that told you so, but when there is absolutely not a single person who disagrees with that assertion it's really silly of you to argue anything different.

Mycroft Holmes said:
Still, do the majority of the people in Arizona live in these nomadic camps?
The majority of people in Arizona are sitting right across from Hoover Dam or are heading in that way. Pretty much everyone who wasn't killed is either in the military or is supporting the military as a slave. But yeah the ones still in Arizona that aren't sitting in their temporary government seat of Flagstaff have pretty much roving around in smaller camps patrolling the area.

It seems like the easiest way to show what Caesar's vision could be would have been to create a town-area next to Fortification Hill, a place that they had conquered on their way west which was now thriving under Caesar's rule.
And it's entirely possible that they wanted to do that. But it's a moot point because Bethesda slowed their process across the board and made it very difficult to get projects approved. For example Freeside was originally supposed to be like twice the size it ended up being, but Bethesda took forever to approve any content and Obsidian couldn't keep working forever for no pay. I mean look at Ulysses, he was originally supposed to be a companion and probably give you much more of your desired insight into the legion.

Slaves might not lead a terrible life. We don't know, because the game doesn't show or tell us much about it. When someone says 'slavery', your mind jumps to a few possible locations: You think about the definitely horrible conditions of American slaves, or you may think about the Roman slaves (many of whom did function as highly educated teachers and servants, while many, many more were put to work in mines, as prostitutes, and as gladiators, living short and brutal lives in a system that was only sustainable due to the vast number of slaves brought in regularly from military conquests. Given the nature of the Legion (well-known for horrific punishments, rape and the like), it seems likely that slaves are viewed as expendable labour.
Oh they certainly do lead terrible lives. My point is just that compared to the lives everyone else leads in the wasteland, it's really not as big of a difference as you'd like to think.

Also while we are on the subject, a lot of the gladiator slaves volunteered for it. Being a gladiator was a big honor and they didn't die as often as pop culture like to assert. Also slaves in America really didn't have that bad of conditions either. Not that it was right to enslave them in the first place, but compared to the free factory workers of the cities, most American slaves had it easy. They didn't live in slums with terrible overrunning sewage systems, in the smog of factories, eating sub-par food made from ground up rats and pigs, they didn't have their children working in sewing factories forced to run into the giant machines as they jammed with many of them losing limbs or dying as they get mangled in the machinery they are forced to fix.

Long, legendarily painful executions is something that requires extraordinary support, and the Legion does it to anyone and everyone they dislike (while every other faction is fine with just shooting a person in the head and calling it a day).
Well you come up with a better way to make groups of extremely disparate people fall in line in an organized manner. It is in large part because of their hardcore torture that the legion sides of the river are secure. You don't see a single NCR spy in their camps. You don't even see any crime in fortification hill. Everything works like a well oiled machine compared to the NCR. Not saying it's right, but it's certainly effective.

I meant 'genocide' in the sense that they obliterate towns and tribes, occasionally leaving some people to join them.
It's not occasional. The entire population of the legion is built on bringing these conquered people into its fold. The vast majority of the conquered tribes survive. Likely not in the way they all wanted to as a lot of them become slaves, but they aren't obliterated.

you also hear that in conquering those tribes he kills thousands.
And you hear mostly the same stories from the NCR. They are a country built on thousands of deaths. They conquered the Enclave remnants. They defeated the Brotherhood of Steel and then chased and fought them again. They defeated the great Khans and chased them to New Vegas where they pursued and attacked them again. The Vipers and the Jackals were tribes like any when the NCR came in and shot them all before chasing the survivors to the Mojave. The only reason house wasn't attacked and conquered immediately by the NCR was because Caesar presented a bigger threat and House recruited three tribes to serve as extra manpower to stop the NCR. And the talking to the NCR military they pretty much agree that they want to conquer the Mojave and believe House to be an enemy of the state to be disposed of after the Legion is conquered. They attack the civilians in Baja. They wreck everyone that won't immediately agree to become part of their imperialistic republic.

As well, they seem quite determined to kill every member of the NCR they come in contact with.
And the NCR seems determined to kill every legionary. What's your point? They are at war.

War is harsh and the NCR doesn't seem to even care about or mention any of the slaves as a priority to rescue. I never heard a single person talk about their plight except for the Followers.

Mycroft Holmes said:
It's a good argument, but the game shows too much of the 'evil fucks' side and not enough of the 'building a better world'.
The fear of a repeated nuclear apocalypse is still a tangible fear and it's the direction the NCR is headed immediately in. It's less about building a 'better' world and more about building a world that wont destroy itself over and over. And that's one of the biggest themes of the fallout series. Well at least the fallout series minus Fallout 3 where the writers ignore everything and go lol wouldn't it be great to have NPCs sit ontop of a nuke for no reason?

Lord T Hawkeye

Oct 24, 2007
I found the legion to be little boys playing with guns trying to masquerade as adults. The most telling sign was when I went to see Caesar and they actually said to my character's face that women are only for making babies (my character is female). Yet they still think I'd be interested in cooperating with them and act surprised when I laid waste to their camp.

Yeah in short, the legion are idiots that I wouldn't join even if I did play an evil character. Even professional villains have standards.

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
Caesar's Legion is definitely one of the biggest weak points in New Vegas. If I remember correctly, there wasn't enough time for Obsidian to flesh them out as much as they would have liked, which is a shame. A few NPCs give you snippets of information about life being generally okay back in the Legion's established territory, the atrocities they commit can sort of be put into context when you think that Vegas is a war zone only occupied by the Legion's military branch (as opposed to an actual society), and Caesar genuinely thinks he has the best vision for the Mojave, but these are literally the only things to justify siding with them while still being a halfway-decent Courier. It's for players who either want to bring about civilisation in the quickest albeit most brutal way possible (your paperwork be damned, NCR! *shakes fist*), or for evil characters who give zero fucks.

Without wanting to get into a crazy-heated debate, I think that the Legion is basically all the worst of House without any of the best of House. Caesar's controlling, manipulative and backwards, but doesn't have any of House's ingenuity, resources, or forward-thinking. The only real positive outcome over everybody else is...safer trade routes! Oh boy!

[small](HOUSE 4 LYFE)[/small]

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
I did the legion because i had already finished the other two before hand.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
The only reason I can think of is maybe it is a call back to the old "Stupid" game play modes of Fallout 1 and 2. If you set your SPECIAL skills extremely low, you would be unable to converse with basically anyone non-essential and would have to either skip or kill everyone else. Since the NCR is in every major hub, joining the Legion would make it where you are forced to kill a large amount of people, skipping possible quests.

If I wasn't such a completionist, I would give a Legion run a try, but I personally was never able to blow up Megaton in Fallout 3 and that seems like a much smaller sacrifice.

The only reason I ever worked for the Legion was for the achievement and to be able to watch their ending.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I beat the game last year, and this thought has been festering in my mind ever since: Why would you join Caesar's Legion? It seems like the entire design of the game pushes you away from them, towards the NCR or an independent Vegas.

The Legion is supposed to be based off of the "Make a wasteland and call it peace" mentality of Rome, but you never see it in action. The only people on the Legion's side you meet that aren't legionnaires are slaves(EDIT: Other than Dale Barton, a trader who is not a 'citizen' of the Legion who seems to only care about safe roads); you never get to explore any of the lands that they claim are so peaceful. This seems major; after fighting raiders and mutant animals every step of the way across NCR-controlled Mojave, it would definitely make you notice if there was a place free from random encounters, where you could see citizens living outside of the fortified camps everyone else requires.

Similarly, The NCR puts up farms, operates power plants, resurrects lost tech, and does all sorts of creative activity. Meanwhile, all the Legion seems to do is destroy (Nipton and Nelson being prime examples, as the first time you meet the Legion and the most obvious way to re-establish contact respectively). While they build a nice base at Fortification Hill, their lack of high-tech equipment and rewards makes allying with them less appealing for the average player, who will be carrying as much tech as possible. Having Caesar mock those who use robots to fight battles and rely on guns rather than blades is a definite turn-off.

And the biggest problem is the most obvious: the Legion is barbaric. Slavery, misogyny, crucifixion, genocide; everything that makes the Legion stand out makes them seem terrible to modern eyes. There would need to be really clear and hefty advantages (ideologically or gameplay-wise) to joining them to make you overlook that (unless you are consciously repressing every modern moral while you role-play, which is an option), but I just can't find them.

So that's my take. What do you think, Escapists? Is there a reason to join the Legion? (I know some of you did) What makes them better than your other options?

EDIT: Something I forgot to mention is the complete lack of companion support for the Legion. Take it away, Hagi:
Hagi said:
For me what really makes it a tacked-on faction is that every single human companion either hates the legion or is hated by them.

Gannon, Boone and Veronica will all leave you if you follow the legion's quest-line unless you start jump through some weird loops to keep them (like never ever speaking to Gannon after you get a positive reputation with the legion whilst he's still following you).

Cassidy says she hates them but won't actually leave you for it. Lily doesn't talk about them at all, but considering the legion despises mutants she doesn't fit either. Raul is the only one that ever says anything positive about them but that's again completely nullified by the legion also hating ghouls.

There's of course the two non-human companions. But guess what? The legion also dislikes robots! So not even ED-E and Rex fit in with them!

There simply isn't a single companion in the game that fits with the legion. So not only are you barred from most of the interesting areas in the Mojave you're also barred from most of the interesting NPCs as well.
I hear there was originally supposed to be a Legion-positive companion (maybe Joshua Graham), but their removal makes the Legion even harder to support.

EDIT 2: J.E. Sawyer, project director and lead designer, released a bit of background info on life in Arizona under Legion rule (spoilered below). Basically they live under a secure military dictatorship: there's plenty of food, water and power, but the Legion occasionally asks you to do things and expects them done (with dire consequences if you don't immediately do it). Areas like this were cut from the final game, which is too bad; seeing a place of abundance, safety and strict governmental control would provide an excellent contrast to the Mojave.
[link]http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/325677464040792162[/link]
"The additional Legion locations would have had more traveling non-Legion residents of Legion territories. The Fort and Cottonwood Cove made sense as heavy military outposts where the vast majority of the population consisted of soldiers and slaves. The other locations would have had more "civilians". It's not accurate to think of them as citizens of the Legion (the Legion is purely military), but as non-tribal people who live in areas under Legion control.

While Caesar intentionally enslaves NCR and Mojave residents in the war zone, most of the enslavement that happens in the east happens to tribals. As Raul indicates, there are non-tribal communities that came under Legion control a long time ago. The additional locations would have shown what life is like for those people.

The general tone would have been what you would expect from life under a stable military dictatorship facing no internal resistance: the majority of people enjoy safe and productive lives (more than they had prior to the Legion's arrival) but have no freedoms, rights, or say in what happens in their communities. Water and power flow consistently, food is adequate, travel is safe, and occasionally someone steps afoul of a legionary and gets his or her head cut off. If the Legion tells someone to do something, they only ask once -- even if that means an entire community has to pick up and move fifty miles away. Corruption within the Legion is rare and Caesar deals with it harshly (even by Legion standards).

In short, residents of Legion territories aren't really citizens and they aren't slaves, but they're also not free. People who keep their mouths shut, go about their business, and nod at the rare requests the Legion makes of them -- they can live very well. Many of them don't care at all that they don't have a say in what happens around them (mostly because they felt they never had a say in it before the Legion came, anyway)."
Interesting. To be honest it struck me as a situation where despite their claims of not wanting to make things clear cut and morally ambiguous all around the developers decided to go with a "good" and an "evil" faction, simply giving the good guys some corrupt members, and making Caesar himself a bit less of a jerk than you'd expect. The benefit to joining the Legion is pretty much the benefit someone who likes playing evil derives from being a brutal jerk. I was thinking it was a generally good decision to not make the evil path a real benefit, as it's been my experience in most games that it's the good path that winds up getting screwed with a lack of benefits.... that said though the Rangers/NCR do seem to have nicer stuff, and if your shooting your way through those areas your going to go toting away generally much better stuff. The loot from shooting Caesar's guys isn't exactly great unless you like melee weapons or their style of armor.

That said, I do think they could have done a much better job of handling things. If I was working on it and trying to make things a lot more morally balanced between the sides I probably would have looked toward Robert Adams' "Horseclans" for inspiration. Perhaps even going so far as to give the leaders of the legions some kind of immortality mutation, as a nod, setting themselves up as ghouls who for whatever reason didn't have their skin melt or whatever.

Horseclans did a good job of justifying a really barbaric society in a post-apocalyptic environment, and dealt with the issue of that point of view, as opposed to that of various groups of "Restorationists". It doesn't work as any kind of real world analogy for how people should live their lives, but is entertaining on it's own merits.

I'll also say that a big part of doing "Barbarians" right in fantasy setting, tech-fantasy or not, is to make them appealing for the player by generally putting the PC in the role of one of the elite. There is a certain appeal to being a dominant conqueror, enslaving your enemies, taking their women, and destroying everyone that crosses you (Conan once described it as "what's best in life" in a movie). It's wrong in an overall, real world, sense but that has nothing to do with fantasy. This is why Vikings remain popular in literature, and you have people lining up to say play Klingons and Romulans in games like "Star Trek". To use Star Trek as an example, it would kind of suck to be bleeding Klingon mine slave #571, or even one of the rank and file Klingon cannon fodder, but there is an appeal to being one of the ruling caste in the great houses, commanding your ship, heading out into the great unknown, finding people weaker than you, enslaving them, stealing all their crap, and then singing songs about how awesome you are, praising the honor and justice of doing this, and killing anyone who disagrees. Sure your average Klingon might be a hypocrite, talking about honor and direct confrontation, but fighting battles by sneaking up on people with cloaking devices for a bushwhack, but that doesn't matter when your in charge and anyone who questions you can look forward to a disruptor in the face. :)

I guess what I'm saying is that you really have to get into selling the lifestyle at the top of the pile to the player and letting them assume that role. The problem with most RPGs is that they involve being a gofer, and really even when groups like this really like you in something like "Fallout" your still pretty much just acting as someone's minor functionary no matter what title they happen to give you. It's not like you get your huge house, slaves, and people worshipping everything you do, with an entire society behind you reinforcing how great and just you are no matter what you do.

When you present a situation with a decadent barbarian-warrior empire in it's prime (long before any cracks are going to get big enough to drag it down), which for all of it's excesses actually DOES present a better lifestyle for even the slaves in the fields than they would expect otherwise, and offer to put someone at the top as one of the elite, this can present more of a counterpoint to something like a progressive society which might be morally right in an overall sense but can neither promise you as much, nor anywhere near as much in the way of safety or stability in the likely future for even the people on the bottom.

To put things into another kind of perspective, while the game doesn't really go there, as even the text above points out the pseudo-slaves of Caesar's empire are taken care of and protected, and exist in peace and stability. To be fair the NCR seems to constantly be getting itself into wars that spill down to the everyman, is constantly strapped for resources, and deals with corruption throughout it's entire organization. Caesar's guys might be brutal, but they are pretty straightforward about who they are. If you were some non-adventurer in Fallout, it's easy to see why you might prefer the Legion to be in charge. In a country like the US we like to go off about freedom and parrot the principles, but how much do even we, in the most liberated country in the world actually have? Something like the NCR being a mere shadow of the government society that inspired it. At the end of the day, one has to ask the very real question of who is most likely to see that you have food and shelter, and less likely to be ganked by some raider or wandering monster. Not to mention ask the question as to whether the average slob has any more freedom in either environment, on some levels you might be able to make a case that Caesar's guys are just more honest about the Status quo. They don't play games by saying "you are free" and then making it otherwise through a system of complicated laws and corrupt bureaucracy, they just achieve the same result through having thugs around to remind you who is in charge.

At the end of the day though if I could be anyone in this environment, I'm honest enough to say that I'd rather be the equivalent of say Milo Morai or Billy The Axe (and I can actually kind of agree with Milo's overall endgame if I remember it correctly) than some cheeseball trying to recreate a society that already failed in a world it defined, and arguably has no chance in an entirely different environment.

Apr 5, 2008
The legion are evil by our standards, of course, they're intended to be. But they're still a valid choice, and their inclusion in the world of New Vegas (aside from lore reasons) is just that, a choice. The player, as the courier, has the ability to shape the Mojave thru their actions. And being a role-playing game, there are many different options from which to choose. Being evil is just as valid as being good. There are four "endings" IIRC, the Legion was just one of those.

I will admit I didn't side with them on either of the two playthrus I've had, just as I've not yet sided with the Stormcloaks in either of my Skyrim playthrus. But I've played other games as evil and it can be entertaining. I set off the bomb in Megaton on one FO3 playthru. It's an opportunity to see the a game from a different perspective. I've done Mass Effect as both paragon, renegade, male and female. I've done KotOR 1 & 2 light and dark, Jade Empire both ways, Alpha Protocol as a merciless Thorton and many other games too. I enjoy being able to choose and get different results from my actions...the best games are the ones that make the differences meaningful.

I think FNV does it quite well, as despite that the Legion are evil, they have a valid philosophy worth considering. None of the Mojave factions are righteous and each choice has consequences.

johntheescapist

Apr 27, 2013
The sad thing about New Vegas is that neither the NCR or Legion can hold the Mojave due to the tunnelers from the divide in lonesome road.

D Black

Sep 7, 2009
Well although most sane people would find the actions of the legion as utterly morally reprehensible (me included) there is some logic in the actions of the legion,

For one they are the only faction actively trying to deal with the rampant mutation, they also have a staunch rejection of all drugs and alcohols that is the ruin of so many citizens in the NCR, as for the technology thing, the legion have a standard of technology that everyone can fully understand and manufacture, this is in countenance to NCR who either use found weapons which are obviously a finite resource, or are manufactured... but wait NCR don't have the Tech to manufacture there weapons, instead it lies to the gun runners and van-graffs who have monopolized the market and unfortunatly there is little the NCR can do to stop these monopoly's.

Additionally the NCR have grown to a point where corruption and bloated bureaucracy makes there actions slow and unweildy, couple that with the fact that the NCR military is riddled with incompetence at high ranks, none of these the legion have to deal with, officially Legionnaires are ranked purely due to combat experience meaning that in actuality as a fighting unit the legion are better organised then there technologically superior NCR.

Having said that i could never bring myself to side with the legion, just it's a little more grey if you think about it!

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
piinyouri said:
triggrhappy94 said:
Because you've done everything else.

Meeting Caesar's really underwhelming too. He has a whole cult of personality built up around him and he comes across a just another boring guy. I was at least expecting voice acting to sound like something out of 300.
It's like I met Kim Jong Um and it turns out he's actually just your Dad.
I personaly felt that's what was best about him, he wasn't some silly cutout villain with a big intimidating voice.

He's just a guy with a vision.
I agree on that too

The_Tron

Jun 8, 2010
personally I entered their camp on a "diplomacy mission" to talk the the leader (can't remember who now) and then got shot at. So my diplomacy mission turned into a 1 man (lvl 13) ethnic cleansing of the whole place. Didn't even break a sweat until I got to the leader and his bodyguards. One lucky grenade later and they were no more. My reward? that jackass in the checkered coat. I was about to let him live but then he insulted me and reminded me of the setup on the strip. So I pulled out my revolver and executed him in satisfyingly bloody revenge.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I would point out that all 4 major faction are a political extrem
House is Corporatism
the Legion are Conservative
NRC is Socialism
Yes-Man is Libertarian