New Zodiac Signs. Apparently people care about it.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/blog-post/2011/01/new_zodiac_sign_dates_dont_swi.html

turns out these changes have been ignored by the people who make a career out of star signs.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Huh, don't really care about that crap myself. Probably partially because I'm a Virgo as well and I always felt like the universe was spiting me.

And now apparently I'm right on the day between Virgo and Leo . . . better than nothing, I guess. I still won't follow any of it.

TundraStalax

Jun 8, 2010
...I'm still a taurus in my mind, after all... I was born on the first day of taurus, it's significant to me...

Reaver3

Jan 9, 2011
i honestly couldnt care less, i was a ford taurus, now im an aries... i might actually give astology a slight reading if they didnt recycle the same crap year after year

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
It's nothing new to the astrological community. It's called sidereal zodiac and tropical zodiac. Both systems are applicable and the difference is in the interpretation of the Earth's orientation and... I lack the words to explain it so it should be nice if anyone who actually wants to know what are they talking about to read this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidereal_astrology] and this [http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/astrology_plain_english/68808/1].

Basically the sidereal (or star) zodiac is based on the constellations as they are, whereas the tropical (or symbolic) zodiac uses the constellation positions as they used to be.
In summary the two zodiac systems started off being the same, but over the thousands of years since then our view of the constellations from earth has changed due to the precession of the equinoxes. The sidereal zodiac is mainly used by eastern astrologers while the tropical zodiac is mainly used by western astrologers.
I am interested in astrology as a hobby and I find it fascinating. By no means am I applying it to my everyday life, though, or to define my relationships or whatever. I just find it extremely interesting and would love to learn how to make natal charts. Also, don't judge astrology based on what you see in daily newspaper horoscopes. It doesn't do justice to this extremely detailed hard work. Also, don't take it so single-mindedly. It's the art of symbolism that can only help you by giving you some insight that you might overlook otherwise. It doesn't set your "destiny" or whatever bullshit people think it does. It technically shows you your opportunities and possibilities and gives you a free hand to choose whatever you want (I'm talking about natal charts here, not daily horoscopes where "All Leos will break a leg today"). If you ever get a chance to get a natal chart, do so, it's very intriguing. You might discover something about yourself that you didn't know (or you could go to professional psychological counselling, but I find it much more interesting when the stars say it. What, it's fun). I understand it's not something that can be called truth, but so far, I've yet to see some fallacy in it. It's beyond fun to be able to know instantly what sign someone is. Just, don't take this so seriously, it's not going to harm anyone (well, there are always extremists that ruin everything for everyone >_> ...).

So, yeah, apparently, people do care about it. But it has nothing to do with the Earth's axial tilt and it has been known for quite a long time.

I can't judge myself really, so I can't inherently say that I'm not a moron (as someone implied about people who care/believe), but as long as it's just my personal fun time, I don't think there is any need to hate on it. It's not like people are actually killing each other over astrology. I've never took astrology as basis for my behaviour towards someone and nobody should do so, but it still gives some pleasure to learn about it.

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
NO. I refuse to tolerate this nonsense. I want my Gemini back. Screw Taurus. Also, I want pie. Right now.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
People who don't believe in Astrology are sexual deviants and criminals, a theory supported by 9 out of 10 Phrenologists.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
I'm going to stick to my Aquarius sing. Just like I'm sticking to my belief that Pluto is a planet. I'm the typical Aquarius minus the lack of commitment bit. XD

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
What? I suddenly changed from Cancer to Gemini? I'm going to disregard this list. Not because of hate or anything, I just got used to being Cancer (not the illness of course :p) this past 20 years. Not to mention, I'll most likely forget about this thread in the next few hours.

Just curious though - what's the English translation of that new zodiac sign?

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
Yossarian1507 said:
Just curious though - what's the English translation of that new zodiac sign?
"Serpent-bearer". In Greek.

Also, I left a post explaining things a bit (nothing new about this, people), no need to panic about your signs :p