Newell: Valve to Replace Single-Player With "Single-Player Plus"

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Remember when, in King of Kong, they share high scores on a website?
I'm pretty sure single player + isn't something new. Also, it won't destroy the games or something equally ridiculous.

Edit - I also don't understand the purpose of making dota 2 when Heroes of Newerth exists. Those of us who grew tired of leavers and shitty noobs ruining games on dota moved on. We are happy. We don't need anything else.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Am I the only person who thinks, much as I love many of the people in my social circle, that they should all @$%# off when I'm playing a single-player game?

I don't want to compare my score, my level completion time, or my achievements with my friends; if I did, I'd do so in person. I don't want to feel pressured to play a single-player game any differently from the way I'm doing it, experiencing it in my own way. I don't want companies trying to use what my friends are playing as a hook to get me to buy more games. I don't want my game to feel the need to offer me additional hints or lower the difficulty based on someone else's bottleneck spots. I don't want Mass Effect 3 to tell my maiden aunt that I had a quickie with Talia in the shower.

There are tons of games out there with varying levels of complexity that allow me to experience all types of interaction with other players if I want that. What I want from my single-player games, which is increasingly difficult to find for any number of reasons, are games that don't take it as a given that I have an Internet connection!

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Gabe

.....that entertainment is inherently increased in value by having it be social, by letting you play with your friends and recognizing that you're connected with other people. That's the thing we're trying to say."
Sorry Gabe, Ill disagree with you there, because that is highly debatable given how much of a determent in many cases multiplayer through history has been. Everything from the early MMO griefers, to the spoiled xbox live kids, to the Casual uprising and so forth. The notion that social connectivity is a good thing for gaming is another one of those things that "sounds good on paper"

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who likes to keep his 'social networking' strictly in Facebook. I don't really want my games to integrate with it. I can socialize when I'm not gaming.

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
Someone's been watching too many ponies...

Though I can't deny, co-op mode on Portal 2 was WAY more fun than single player...but that could have just been because I was playing with a good friend...

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Awesome74 said:
I was reminded of something akin to Demon's Souls. That wouldn't be so bad.
That was immediately what sprang to mind for me too, but probably because my nephew was raging at Demon's Souls after his first session playing it just after the PSN outage started. =p

beema

Aug 19, 2009
These statements just come off as obnoxious to me.

Maybe I don't WANT to have to rely on other people to enjoy a full gaming experience. Maybe I LIKE playing by myself.
Ever think of that, old fatty fat fat fat Gabe?

They better damn well continue to make games that you can complete in full by yourself. Like I've said before, I have several unfinished Portal 2 co-op levels because I cannot find anyone to play with!
Other people suck sometimes. Other people are unreliable. I'm not in a college dorm where I can just walk across the hall and say "Hey lets play." Most of the people on my Steam friends list are random people from the internet I've never met IRL. Most of my IRL friends on your precious Facebook do NOT play video games. Therefore I cannot depend on people to always play games with. Sometimes the entire reason I play a game is to block out all other people!

Out of my 500+ friends on Facebook, guess how many regularly play video games?
like 4
Out of those 4, who also plays on PC?
one
Out of that one, is he ever online or playing the same game as me?
no

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
TheRealCJ said:
monkey_man said:
TheRealCJ said:
God no. I can't think of anything worse!

I play single player games because I HAVE no connected friends. I only have about 2 irl friends on Steam. The rest are either console players or aren't gamers.

Hell, I haven't even played the Portal 2 co-op yet, because my choices are that limited.

Dont get me wrong, I like multiplayer, but a multiplayer game where I can just dive right in and play, with having to "know somebody".
Wanna do Co-op with me? :D
Oh monkey! You've made me the happiest boy in the world!
Haha, just add me on steam. My steam should be on my profile.IF not (look away everyone else)
da_ivo
A man can't be certain enough now Can he?

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
And what about the NOT socially connected gamer. What about the people who are WERE perfectly happy not having other dip-shits to talk to, where I could go at MY own pace and drink in the game. I don't get that with other people. Hell, just having others observe the game with me takes away from it. That was part of the brilliance in not having Chell talk; my taking in this crazy world was unobstructed.

I don't like talking to people in real life, why the hell would I Facebook, IM, or Twitter? Between inflating delusions of importance and obsessive extremes, those three are the greatest evils that has spawned from the internet age. I don't mind the art of conversation, commenting, and there certainly are people I find reflecting their occasional input enjoyable, but I have no interest in tracking the movements, minutia, and Every Damn Thought of them; and even less interest in reciprocating my own existence back at them. I'd be happy letting the craziness (that really is a fact of life with these tools) do their thing while I stay out, like I avoid multiplayer modes. I would, if I wasn't bombarded by a hivemind "join us" culture that has decided I was the freak and won't rest until I have been soundly broken and assimilated.

There are plenty of games, tools, and networks already developed for this type of gamer. You don't need to retool every experience so they're being catered to, they already are.

Fatal-X

Feb 17, 2010
Probably stupid integration with Facebook... LAME.
Good thing I'm not a Valve fan.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
monkey_man said:
TheRealCJ said:
monkey_man said:
TheRealCJ said:

I play single player games because I HAVE no connected friends. I only have about 2 irl friends on Steam. The rest are either console players or aren't gamers.

Hell, I haven't even played the Portal 2 co-op yet, because my choices are that limited.

Dont get me wrong, I like multiplayer, but a multiplayer game where I can just dive right in and play, with having to "know somebody".
Haha, just add me on steam. My steam should be on my profile.IF not (look away everyone else)
da_ivo
Haha, fun times.

Just a heads up though, I've got a killer work week, so it'll probably saturday night or so (my time) before I'll get the chance to play.

Zolem

Jul 28, 2008
"Single-player is great, but we also have to recognize that you have friends and want to have that connected as well,"
Hi,yeah, Gabe, do you know WHY my Dad only plays single player games, and why I prefer them as well? Because people are morons. I love games where I don't have to deal with a single other person if I don't want to. If I want to bother with other people, then I use multiplayer games on purpose. If I'm doing single player, I want to do SINGLE player.

If this becomes a big trend in gaming and every game requires friends to play, me and my dad will basically stop buying games. That's all there is to it. I'll just enjoy playing older games, and so will my dad. Hell, he still plays Resident Evil 4 for the Game Cube and enjoys it. The fact of the matter is, given the choice between forced social interaction or playing old games, we will play old games.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
TheRealCJ said:
monkey_man said:
TheRealCJ said:
monkey_man said:
TheRealCJ said:

da_ivo
Haha, fun times.

Just a heads up though, I've got a killer work week, so it'll probably saturday night or so (my time) before I'll get the chance to play.
That won't be an issue, since I have a relatively busy week aswell ;D
Also, Epic thread derailment ftw XD

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I so wish games like Fallout 3 had a free-mode where I could bring a friend in along with me...I don't see why not, as a human-controlled companion you know

Dr. wonderful said:
How about this Newell.

Just finish making Half-life 3 or episode 3 THEN you can do whatever you want.

Please? I'll send you a cake? 2 chocolate cakes?
lol everyone's thinking it, you're just saying it :p but yeahhhh until Valve does that half our minds are barely listening to them ;p

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Well it's nice to hear that as they get older, companies either die off or get handsy.

Bioware was bad enough when the vampire that is EA bit it in the scrotum, but Valve is turning all Googol on us now. If I wanted to play a game with other people, I'd play a multiplayer game. Don't bring facebook, etc. into my single-player game or I just wont buy or play your game.